News items on Mealy/O'Malley of Tulla Parish

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Re: News items on Mealy/O'Malley of Tulla Parish

Post by smcarberry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 am

Sduddy wrote:Re smcarberry’s attachment (first posting in this thread) on Michael Malley of Tulla:
...Having made an appeal to their friends in this country, subscriptions have been collected by the following gentlemen: Mr. Michael O’Connell Kearneny, of Pookskill, N.Y., late of Bryan’s Castle, Crusheen, county Clare, who has acted as treasurer of the fund
Still enjoying all the discussion and story development. However, just FYI, the city name is Peekskill, on the east side of the Hudson River, just north of NYC, and the original article had it as such. More importantly, since Sheila's aim was to get the surnames into searchable form here on the Forum, the gentleman's name was Kearney.

My only other comment is to reflect on how deeply embedded in the American consciousness is the desire to go to California. It's been that way since the Gold Rush days of the 1840s and persists to present day although now the big draw is Hollywood. My first trip out there from New York was a multi-day train trip at about age 3, a precursor to my parents' eventually moving out there to fulfill their California dream after raising the kids. It was cause for an enormous gap lasting several decades in the O'Connell family of Kilkishen, as the Connecticut cousins totally lost track of the California end of the family (that Daniel O'Connell involved with the picnic might be one of them, coming up from the San Jose area).

Anyway, carry on and feel free to refer to me as Sharon rather than smcarberry.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 am

Hi Sharon
Thank you for pointing out those mistakes - it is very helpful and much appreciated. I've just now amended them.

Hi Jim
You have done good work on May Brosnan, from Killarney. If her hair was not auburn, it ought to have been.

I mentioned an event called “Aeriocht” above and here, in the obituary for Tadhg McNamara, from Crusheen, published in The Clare Champion of Oct. 26, 1912, is a reference to one such event:
“Twelve month ago he organized the Crusheen Aeridheacht on the bright green island in the beautiful lake of Inchicronan. He had a racking cough then, and was wasted to a shadow, but he laboured untiringly day by day, with the result that this last effort of his life proved to be one of the most successful entertainments of its kind that have yet been held. A few months ago we met him in Ennis for the last time, and even then he was planning for the future; of another Aeridheacht on the Island; when would we go out with Irish plays again? Was there any hope for the revival of the Clare Feis? How could he establish a Freedom Club – what preliminary steps should he take? He would surely come to see our big hurling and football matches at the Show Grounds, if he could at all. The last time we saw his name appear in print was on the subscription list to the Lily O’Neill Memorial Fund. And the last request of his life was that the breast plate upon his coffin should bear its inscription in Irish”.

We have strayed a long way from the O’Mealys. A teacher would say, “Read the question again”. But there is no question, and no teacher to haul us back, and with everone in Clare related to everyone else, we are bound to arrive back at their door eventually.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:07 am

During the summer of 1913 when May Brosnan sang at the County Clare Picnic, she would have been 23 years old. Her future husband James O'Connor, a lowly assistant on the Dancing Committee, was about three years her junior. James not only had this age gap going against him but there was lots of competition for May's attention on that day. Especially from 25 year old William O'Dwyer from the Gaelic Dancing Committee who had just arrived from Milton Malbay (born 10 may 1888 per WWI draft) with all the latest steps. But James O'Connor would ultimately succeed in marrying May Brosnan around 1920. What could explain the long delay? Perhaps by the time May Brosnan had turned 30 years old, the three year age gap didn't seem that great? Or had she seen James O'Connor looking very sharp in his military uniform since he served as a private during WWI? James and Mae O'Connor are buried in Gold Gate National Cemetery in San Mateo County both with traditional war veteran headstones.

None of the picnickers in 1913 could have anticipated that in just one year the Great War would start in Europe requiring American men to register for the draft starting in 1917 (the USA was hesitant to enter the war, but critical for victory). James Bernard O'Connor was born in Doolin, County Clare on 16 March 1893 according to his WWI draft registration (16 March 1892 on his WWII registration as well as headstone). His sidekick on the Dancing Committee, Michael Joseph McInerney, was born in Doonbeg, County Clare on 4 April 1892.

On the WWI Rego, James O'Connor stated that his occupation was a manager at a grocery store for the M.J. O'Looney Company at 1610 Polk Street. In the 1910 census for San Francisco, James O'Connor is a nephew in the household of his uncle Martin J. O'Looney (age 26) - see census below. Like most immigrant market owners, Martin J O'Looney appears to have relied upon family to help run his grocery stores. Beside his nephew James O'Connor (age 16) and his wife Birdie (age 23), in the census report there were two brothers John O'Looney (age 27) and Dan O'Looney (age 23); a sister-in-law Kathleen Tuttle (age 18) along with three other roomers (two of whom were Irish born nuns?).

The three O'Looney brothers were easy to find in the 1901 Irish census living with their parents Daniel (age 46) and Margaret O'Looney (age 44) in Ballyea South:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... h/1072316/

And I believe this is James O'Connor, age 8, reported as a nephew in the household of Margaret Looney (age 61) as well as Patrick Looney (age 36) and his wife in Shanbally, Maghereagh:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... y/1073372/

I reckon this might be a situation where Margaret Looney is actually the grandmother of James O'Connor as Paddy Waldron has frequently documented here:
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6310
But I can't figure out how James could have also been a nephew of Martin O'Looney who is living with his parents in the 1901 Irish census? unless both sets of grandparents were named O'Looney? Or was the term "nephew" in the U.S. 1910 census really describing a cousin relationship?

In the 1918 City Directory for San Francisco (see below), the "M.J. Looney Co." has three grocery stores at 588 Haight, 1032 McAllister, and 1610 Polk. Incredibly "O'Looney's Market" at 588 Haight Street in the Lower Haight of San Francisco still exists today. See photo below. In the below article by Diane Zimmer (hoodline news), the market owner for the past 35 years describes the changing neighborhood on Haight Street. An immigrant from Palestine, he has relied upon family (10 children) to help run O'Looney's Market - just like the original Irish owner Martin O'Looney. It's a fascinating article, and mentions that the O'Looney family owned the market through to the 1960's. O'Looney's Market at 588 Haight Street must be at least 100 years old.

https://hoodline.com/2015/05/bodegas-of ... y-s-market

Sheila, if you are going to San Francisco be sure to visit O'Looney's Market at 588 Haight Street during the daytime. If you come to San Francisco, evening time will not be a love-in there. You are not going to meet any gentle people with flowers in their hair on 588 Haight Street. You might be familiar with these lyrics from the American ballad "San Francisco" by Scott McKenzie. But that was from the 1960's, despite recent gentrification the Lower Haight can be a bit dangerous at night, so please take care.

"San Francisco" by Scott McKenzie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0vkKy504U
Attachments
1910 San Francisco Census, Martin J O'Looney household, Hayes Street.jpg
1910 San Francisco Census, Martin J O'Looney household, Hayes Street.jpg (226.12 KiB) Viewed 14065 times
1918 San Francisco City Directory for O'Looney.jpg
1918 San Francisco City Directory for O'Looney.jpg (132.98 KiB) Viewed 14065 times
O'Looney's Market, 588 Haight Street SF (photo by Diane Zimmer, hoodline news).jpg
O'Looney's Market, 588 Haight Street SF (photo by Diane Zimmer, hoodline news).jpg (268.26 KiB) Viewed 14065 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi Jim

You are moving from Sacramento to San Francisco along with Mae Brosnan and leading us to the O’Connors in Doolin (who are of interest to Colleen, an O’Connor descendant: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6837), and to the O’Looneys, about whom I know a little bit, thanks to the work by Pat O’Looney from Kilfenora, which was provided to me by an O’Looney descendant. Most of it is so up to date that it would be an invasion of privacy to give it here in its entirety, but I will give what I think may be relevant to the relationship between James O’Connor and Martin J. O’Looney (Grocery Store) and also between James and Margaret O’Looney of Shanbally. (Good work finding James aged eight in Shanbally – I think you are right about Margaret being his grandmother):

Daniel O’Looney, son of Patrick O’Looney and Nora Roughan of Clooncoul (Kilmanaheen parish), married Catherine O’Connell in 1829 (Daniel was married secondly to Kate O’Looney) and went to live in Shanbally (Kilmanaheen parish). Daniel and his first wife, Catherine, had one son Daniel (1822-1886) who married Margaret Canny (1837-1920) in 1861. Daniel O’Looney and Margaret Canny had 13 children. The fourth of these 13 children, Bridget O’Looney (1867-1955), married Michael O’Connor of Doolin. The second of the 13 children, Patrick/Patsy O’Looney (1864-1931) married Maria Garrihy. Patsy and Maria had no children. That 1901 census report, which shows James O’Connor (aged eight), shows this couple also. Clearly James is a nephew of Patsy and a grandson of Patsy’s mother, Margaret. (Patsy did not leave the farm to James – he left it to another nephew, Daniel O’Connor, who married his second cousin, Bridget O’Looney of Drumeevin (Kilfenora parish).

Now let us move to Ballyea South in the parish of Clooney, where the same 1901 census shows Daniel OLooney and wfe Margaret (Hogan*) and 11 of their children – I can see from the Inagh-Kilnamona baptisms that they had a couple more. Pat O’Looney notes this family, but admits that he does not know how they fit with the other O’Looney families (bear in mind that his research was done in the 1990s).
*Daniel Looney, Ballyea, aged 24, son of Michael Looney (living), married Margaret Hogan, Ballyhean, aged 22, daughter of Michael Hogan (living), in Liscannor Chapel, on Feb. 11, 1877; witnesses: William Looney, Margaret Stack.

Then there is the record of this 1888 marriage, which I came upon when replying on the Carrigg – O’Connor thread: Michael O’Connor, Roadford [Kililagh parish] son of James O’Connor (dead), and Bridget Looney, Knockpatrick [Kilmanaheen parish], daughter of Daniel Looney, on Feb. 11, 1888, in Lahinch chapel; witnesses: Patrick Fitzpatrick, Ellen O’Connell. This brings us to the Knockpatrick O’Looneys who, according to Pat O’Looney, begin with John O’Looney, a son of Daniel O’Looney (above) of Shanbally, and his second wife Kate O’Looney. John married Mary Morgan in 1857 and moved to Knockpatrick. They had 6 children.

At this stage I decided I was not equal to the task of untangling the O’Looneys, so I decided just to go back to the Daniel O’Looney who married Margaret Canny and say that of their 13 children, the 11th, John O’Looney (1879-1968), married Bridget Monahan of Clooney in San Francisco, the 12th, Martin O’Looney (1880 - ?), married Bridie Tuttle in San Francisco, and the 13th, Anna O’Looney (1883 -1933), married Denis Foudy in San Francisco.

That sign on the grocery store is wonderful. The songs “San Francisco” and “It never rains in California” are very familiar here and are often played on the radio on request programmes. It’s rarely, if ever, that you hear Maire Ni hEidhin. In fact, if it were not for our Irish language stations, we would never hear it at all.
I doubt that I will ever be going to San Francisco – going to Dublin is an expedition for me. I was working in the Hydro Hotel in Kilkee in 1968, when other people were going to San Francisco with flowers in their hair. But the summer of 1968 was a lovely summer here and I have good memories of Kilkee – including (even) a memory of serving coffee to a group of Americans who refused to recognize it as such!

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:29 pm

After sending that reply earlier today, I realized that I’d missed a whole page of the O’Looney genealogy – a page that lists 13 children of Michael O’Connor of Doolin and Bridget O’Looney of Shanbally. Nine of their children went to the US - mostly to California, including James O'Connor who married Mae Brosnan. James and Mae had four children. Four of their children remained in Ireland, including the Daniel O'Connor, mentioned above, who inherited the farm at Shanbally from his uncle Patsy O'Looney.

James’ uncle, Martin J. Looney (Grocery Store - 1910 census) must be the brother of James' mother Bridget O'Looney - the same Martin O'Looney who married Bridie Tuttle.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:51 am

Hi Sheila,

You are absolutely correct.

There were two Martin Looney's baptized in 1880 both born to Daniel and Margaret Looney families which created the confusion (I've deleted several posts which only added to the confusion):

1) 1 March 1880, Martin Looney to Daniel Looney and Margaret Hogan Looney at Ballyea, Clare (their first born son)

2) 15 October 1880, Martin Looney to Daniel Looney and Margaret Canny Looney at Shanbally, Clare

The 1901 Irish Census of Martin O'Looney of Ballyea, I thought was a good candidate to be the grocer in San Francisco as he had brothers John and Daniel as reported in the 1910 Census for San Francisco. But this was only coincidental, Martin Looney was still in Ballyea in the 1911 Irish Census. The link I provided to the 1901 Irish census earlier was not for the Looney's who moved to San Francisco.

The headstone for Martin O'Looney of San Francisco states his birth as 18 October 1880 so he is clearly the son of the Shanbally O'Looney's and a sister of Bridget O'Looney who married Michael O'Connor. So James O'Connor would indeed be the nephew of Martin O'Looney of San Francisco as was your own conclusion.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am

Hi Jim

Thanks for making all that clear. I hadn’t reached that stage myself – my brains were so fried.

Just to tidy up a bit more: That 1910 San Francisco census, which shows Martin J. O’Looney, also shows a brother, Daniel O’Looney, aged 23. I had listed (above) just 3 of the Shanbally O’Looneys who went to San Francisco, but I see now that Daniel (the 7th of the 13 children of Daniel O’Looney and Margaret Canny) also went to San Francisco. He married his second cousin, Wilhelmina O’Looney from Moanreel (Rath parish). They had no children.
Pat O’Looney’s genealogy explains the relationship between the Shanbally O’Looneys and the Moanreel O’Looneys, but that’s not relevant here, I think.

The 1911 census shows Michael O’Connor “of Doolin”, aged 49, Farmer, living in Teergonean (Killilagh DED), with Bridget [O’Looney], aged 44, and eleven of their 13 children. That says are married 23 years, and all of their 13 children are living. As I’ve said above, nine of these O'Connors went to the US – mainly California. Two had already left by 1911: “our” James O’Connor, and Mary (called Marion).

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:23 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you very much for tying up a few loose ends. Now about your coffee:
I was working in the Hydro Hotel in Kilkee in 1968, when other people were going to San Francisco with flowers in their hair. But the summer of 1968 was a lovely summer here and I have good memories of Kilkee – including (even) a memory of serving coffee to a group of Americans who refused to recognize it as such!
Do you recall what type of coffee you were serving at the Hydro Hotel in 1968? Folgers Coffee was the top selling brand in America until Starbucks came on to the scene. Folgers Coffee was famous during the 1960's for their commercials where a husband complains to his wife that the coffee she made is undrinkable. Then a neighbor Mrs. Olson suggests Folgers Coffee - "it's mountain grown for richer flavor". Here is a compilation of 1960's commercials for Folgers (prior to Mrs. Olson saving the day) on American TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnjjkgIO3Ck

Your American visitors in Kilkee would have seen these same commercials and might have been having a joke when they complained about your coffee? But they do sound very rude! If it is any consolation, up until the late 1980's it was common for Americans to return from a trip to England / Ireland saying "I couldn't get a decent cup of coffee".

James Folger arrived in San Francisco in 1850 with his brothers to strike it rich in the Gold Rush. But while his brothers went to the gold fields, James made his fortune selling coffee to the gold miners. In 1860 he founded J. A. Folger Coffee Company in San Francisco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._A._Folger

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Jim

Anyone I’ve told that story to has laughed and sided completely with the Americans. I think the coffee would have been instant coffee (maybe Nescafe), considered much, much superior to Irel coffee (made with chicory), which was still the poorman’s coffee in 1968. Anyway, I just left the coffee there on the table and made a quick exit – if anyone was rude it was myself! In fairness to Irel coffee, it is still sought after for baking: http://www.pembroketownhouse.ie/uploads ... 20Cake.pdf

You mentioned the Fenian rising of 1867 as a possible reason for William Perill emigrating to the USA, and I replied saying that the rising was mainly confined to Dublin, but I should have at least inserted a clause mentioning the action in Kilbaha in Co. Clare: http://www.aoh61.com/history/kilbaha_1867.htm

That action is dismissed by some as just a skirmish, but it was the very kind of action which advisers to the Fenian leadership, Gustave Cluseret* and Octave L. Fariola* had considered to be the best approach. Recognising that arms were in short supply, Gustave Cluseret agreed to assume overall command of IRB forces when half of the ten thousand Irish Fenians he originally requested were ready to fight. His plan was to engage in guerilla strategy, using small units of men to “pester the enemy by cutting telegraph lines and raiding government outposts” (p 159, Chapter 6, “No Event of Any Importance” in ‘The Fenians: Irish Rebellion in the North Atlantic World, 1858-1876’ by Patrick Steward, Bryan McGovern, The University of Tennessee Press, 2013: https://books.google.ie/books?id=1naVVR ... &q&f=false

John Newsinger, in his book, ‘Fenianism in Mid-Victorian Britain’, Pluto Press, 1994 (p 56), says:
“The plan of operation that he [Cluseret] and Fariola prepared was, given the circumstances, the most realistic possible. They envisaged the rising taking place in two stages. First there were to be ‘meetings, riots, outbreaks during which the national party feels its own strength …bands of armed men overrun their own neighbourhoods and get, little by little, confidence in themselves and the habit of meeting the enemy’. At this stage, the rebels would be organized in small bands of 15 or 20 men and would carry on an irregular war against the British. Only after large numbers of men were already in the field and local successes had been achieved, cutting communications, capturing police barracks, destroying small detachments, would Cluseret assume command and the transition to large-scale regular military operations be made”.
It was Godfrey Massey*, however, who was appointed to command the Fenians in the first stage of the rising. Newsinger says, “He had served as a non-commissioned officer in the British army in the Crimean War and had then reached the rank of Colonel in the Union Army during the Civil War. Instead of a guerrilla strategy, he decided to go ahead with a full-scale rising”.

*Gustave Paul Cluseret: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Paul_Cluseret
*Octave L. Fariola: https://rebelcorksfightingstory.wordpre ... l-fariola/
*Godfrey Massey, also known as Patrick Condon: https://cuexhibits.wrlc.org/exhibits/sh ... fenian-ris

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:57 am

Getting back on track to Sharon's original posting about Michael Malley, Sheila had written awhile back:
The Michael Malley who was sentenced to penal servitude in 1882, and for whose wife and young family a fund was being raised, must be the same Michael as the one in Paddy Casey’s posting of 2008: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230. Paddy Casey found this report in The Birmingham Daily Post of Wed. Nov. 22, 1882. There may be a fuller account in the Clare Journal around that time, but I doubt that there will be much more information on the identity of Michael Malley. I made a small attempt at finding him, but failed, and I’ve decided to treat that newspaper item as just an illustration of the times that were in it.
The trial of Michael Maley in 1882 is documented on the link to the below thread (page 17) along with background of the 1882 Land War violence in Tulla:
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... &start=240

The American newspaper posted by Sharon stated that Michael Maley was married with children. This made it very difficult for Sheila to determine which Michael Maley of Tulla would fit this description. But in fact, Michael Maley was single and most likely never saw a penny of the funds raised in America.

Michael Maley was sent from Limerick Gaol to Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin on 23 October 1882. His description was: 22 years of age; single; hazel eyes, dark brown hair, fresh complexion, with a "cast of left eye". His trade was mason. Unfortunately the right side of the register with comments has been cut off, but the release date states "12 April 1888".

This 22 year old Michael Maley is the son of Thomas Mealy and Susan McMahon of Fortane baptized on 2 September 1861 in the Tulla baptism records. In the 1900 USA Census, Michael Malley (age 38) is living with his wife Elizabeth (Iowa born, age 37) and two adopted children in Buffalo, New York. His occupation is "Foreman Brick Stone Mason". Michael O'Malley, "the mason's son", was still working as a mason in Buffalo in the 1920 census where he states his year of immigration as 1890. By 1922 he and his wife had moved to West Palm Beach, Florida where he worked as a general contractor. As Sheila had previously discovered, Michael died in 1926 in Florida, parents reported as Thomas O'Malley and Susan McMahon.

The entire family of Thomas Malley, the mason, and Susan McMahon Malley would move to Buffalo, New York in the 1880's. The obituary of Thomas Malley, aged 66 years, of 249 Breckenridge Street was reported in the Buffalo Evening News of 23 April 1891. Most of the remaining family were recorded in the 1892 NY State Census living at 249 Breckenridge as follows:

Susan Malley (age 52, housekeeper), Thomas Malley (age 28, stone mason), James Malley (age 24, brick layer), Katie (22), Susie (19), Patrick (17), Frank (15) - all born in Ireland. There are also two American born children: Alice Malley (age 6) and Frank P. Malley (age 2). They are the two children who would be adopted by Michael and Elizabeth O'Malley. On the 1910 census questions about birthplace of parents, their father is reported as Irish born (possibly Thomas, age 28 in 1892, perhaps a widower? in hospital in 1900, he died in 1902) and mother born in England. Also living in the household in 1892 are two other Irish born men: Edward O. Rourk (age 22, brick layer) and James Murphy (age 21, mason).

There was also a John O'Malley living in Buffalo in the 1892 census (age 32, bricklayer) with his wife and five children; this is the brother John who was recorded in the Tulla baptism records in 1859. There are a few descendant family trees on ancestry.com that have traced back to these Tulla baptism records. Little information on Michael, much more on his older brother John and a few other siblings. They state that John O'Malley arrived in America in 1872, probably based upon census reports. It is very unlikely that John would have left Tulla at age 12 without his parents. John O'Malley married in New York in 1883. I reckon John left Ireland after his younger brother Mick Maley was arrested in 1882 as there may have been a giant target on his back.

I had a look for the passenger listing of the O'Malley family arriving in New York as it has not yet been discovered by any of the Buffalo descendants. There are so many name variations for O'Malley, Mealey, Maley etc that it might appear to be impossible to find. But there is a fairly short window for when this family arrived in America, prior to 1892 and after 1885 with the birth of Alice Malley in the USA. Most immigrants at this time would be younger in their 20's. So I searched for a "Susan Malley", born in Ireland around 1840 which led to the direct hit of the "Molloy" family from "Cork" on their way to Buffalo on the SS City of Chicago arriving in New York City on 23 April 1886. The family included: Thomas Molloy (age 50, "S Mason"), Susan Molloy (age 50, wife), Thomas Molloy (age 20, "S Mason"), James (age 15, "S Mason"), Kate (11), Susan (9), Pat (8), and Frank (7). They brought three pieces of baggage on the journey, one of which would have surely contained the tools of the mason trade.

The SS City of Chicago left Liverpool on 13 April 1886 for a stop at Queenstown and then headed for New York. This is only a fortnight after Michael O'Malley of Glandree used abusive and threatening language against Andrew Sheedy McNamara of Glandree on 29 March 1886 (see detail on same link as above). Was this timing only coincidental? The petty session register also had two separate complaints by Daniel McNamara and John Molony, both of Glandree, against Patrick Malley of Glendree for "assaulting complainant and attempting to strike him with a stone at Kilmore on 28 March 1886". Witnesses were Daniel McNamara, Denis Cooney, James McNamara, Con Rodgers, and Wm Allen. I have not yet mentioned on this forum several other complaints which indicate turbulent times in Tulla. The complaint of Cornelius Rodgers of Glandree against John Holohan of Glandree for abusive and threatening language on 29 March 1886. The complaint of John Howard of Ballyblood against Michael McNamara of Lisofin for assaulting and kicking him at Cutteen on 25 March 1886. The complaint of Michael McNamara of Lisofin against John Howard of Ballyblood for assaulting and striking him on his mouth with a stick at Cutteen and breaking his tooth on 25 March 1886.

Is it not probable that Thomas O'Malley and Susan McMahon simply got fed up with all the violence in Tulla and decided it would be better to raise their family in New York? To join their son John O'Malley in Buffalo where there was plenty of work for a mason? Rent a nice two story house with a basement and a small attic at 249 Breckenridge Street and finally have some peace there? To arise and go now, and go to Buffalo?

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:42 pm

Good work, Jim, especially your detecting that the Molloys were the Malleys. Earlier in the thread I’d noted that this family of Malleys had disappeared
I can find no trace, in the 1901 census, of one family of Mealys: Thomas Mealy married to Susan McMahon and living in Fortanebeg (according to the baptism register). Their children were born between 1859 and 1877.
but now the "disappearance" is explained, which is great.

Sheila