Land Commission 1976 and other years

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

pwaldron

Land Commission 1976 and other years

Post by pwaldron » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:39 pm

I just stumbled on an interesting list of Clare farms at:
http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie ... 70044.html

The Irish Land Commission had taken possession of lands in the places listed from the families named because due to death, old age, infirmity or other cause the registered owners were deemed no longer to be making adequate use of their holdings.

For those not familiar with the Land Commission system, Tom Lynch's `Booking Passage: We Irish and Americans' gives a wonderful account of the system and of the struggle to keep the Lynch family lands in Moveen out of the hands of the Land Commission.
Last edited by pwaldron on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smcarberry

Re: Land Commission

Post by smcarberry » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:59 pm

Kudos to you, Paddy W., for finding and posting this. These nuggets of gold can be just anywhere, eh ?

I see that whoever set the type for this listing was not too familiar with Clare placenames, as Scalpnagown has an "r" for the middle "n." Nonetheless, any info is better than none.

Sharon Carberry
USA

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:37 pm

That's not the worst - Risbuingham should read Lisluinaghan!
It's pronounced and often spelled locally Lislanahan.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Hello Paddy & Sharon
I see that 'Moyasta' has moved!! - it should be Moyarta (near Carrigaholt) - and another placename should be 'Tonavoher' - which would translate as 'the sound of the road'!!
Paddy - I have sent you a private message re Mulluny/Mullaney/Mullany of Moveen - it took me a while to see your first message. I now realise that I should log in.
Miriam.

pwaldron

Land Commission 1977

Post by pwaldron » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:12 am

There is a similar list from the following year at http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie ... 30044.html
Last edited by pwaldron on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwaldron

Re: Land Commission 1956

Post by pwaldron » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:49 pm

There is an earlier list of estates in County Clare in the hands of the Irish Land Commission from 1956 at http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie ... 70006.html
Last edited by pwaldron on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M. McNamara

Post by M. McNamara » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:17 am

Thanks for posting that Paddy.

Re the two properties near Sixmilebridge
The 521 ac. property 1 mile North of Sixmilebridge is the demesne land of the Butlers of Castlecrine. When the last of the Butlers died in c. 1951, the estate was eventually sold to the Somerville Co., who were saw millers. They asset stripped the estate, before selling it on to the Land Comm. This company is no longer in existence. Their foreman was a Ronnie Plant who was alive and well in Thomastown in Co. Kilkenny some years ago. He was very much involved in athletics in SMB while he worked on the estate.

The 341 ac. property 4 miles north of Sixmilebridge and owned Minister for Defence is a mystery. It would be located in the Kilkishen direction and there are 2 candidate estates.
I have spoken to some local farmers who didn't know about this. I shall investigate further.

pwaldron

Re: Land Commission 1974

Post by pwaldron » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 pm

This question was probably asked in the Dail at least once a year.
The 1974 list is at http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie ... 70013.html
Again there are serious typos - Risbuingham is presumably Lisluinaghan and Kileasgean is Kilcasheen.

Someone with more time and energy than I have could probably search the Dail Debates and come up with a full list.

\pw