PURDON, Rev. William John, MA

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

blyth

PURDON, Rev. William John, MA

Post by blyth » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:06 pm

This gentleman was a graduate of Trinity College Dublin and came in 1837 as the first incumbent of the new church of St Anne, Aigburth, then a hamlet near Liverpool, now a suburb.
Burke's Landed Gentry states that he was a son of Simon Purdon, County Clare and Anne, eldest daughter of Col. George le Hunte of Co. Wexford. [This is not the Sheriff of Co. Clare but a relative.] and their
issue included William John, in holy orders, who m. 1st, Sep 1824, Charlotte Emily, d. of the late Rt Hon Denis Browne and by her (who d. 29 April 1838) has two daughters. He m. 2ndly in June 1842, Catherine Geraldine, d. of the late Sir Ross Mahon, Bt.
I am trying to discover more of William's career, before and after his Liverpool sojourn, which ended in 1852 when he returned to Ireland to look after family affairs.
I have found him listed in the diocese of Leighlin as rector of Carlow in 1862, and in Crockford's Directory as incumbent of Kilmallog in 1868 but otherwise have no more.
Any suggestions for sources or more facts would be most welcome.
A

smcarberry

Re: PURDON, Rev. William John, MA

Post by smcarberry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:11 pm

I happen to have run across what looks like the will of your William's grandfather. Although you may have seen this already,
since I am familiar with the location named Backfield (also known as Gortadroma or Gortnadroma), I know that to be essentially the same place as Kilkishen, in mid East Clare.

Regarding your William, the obvious places to look include the Griffiths Valuation of the mid/late 1850s and the various
directories like Thom's and other ones listed on the Clare County Library's genealogy section (which include directories
having listings across the country). You may have already gone down that path.

Sharon Carberry
USA

210 PURDON, SIMON, Tenneranna, Co. Clare, Esq.
28 Sept. 1720. Narrate, 2 1/2 pp., 28 Jan. 1720/21.
Wife Helena Purdon. Eldest son George Purdon, settlement 1717 on marriage of said George with Jane Eyre, daughter of Edward Eyre, Esq. Second son Simon, third son Edward, fourth son William and fifth son John Purdon. Daughter Margaret Finch. Grandsons Simon Finch, William Finch and Edward Finch. Daughter Barbara. Daughter Helena Marie. Daughter Elizabeth.
Tenneranna. Woods of Bielkelly, Carhueny and Cahirballymulrony.

Witnesses: Redmond Barry, Ballyclogh, Co. Cork, Esq., John Roan, Backfield, Co. Clare, gent., Richard Roan, Backfield, Joseph Vosar, Tenneranna, Co. Clare, yeoman.
Memorial witnessed by: Joseph Vosar, John Phillips.

http://www.celticcousins.net/ireland/clarewills.htm

blyth

Re: PURDON, Rev. William John, MA

Post by blyth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:08 pm

Sharon
Thanks for the information. I have found a little in Griffith's Valuation, but it did not lead me anywhere. I have aimed a request at Clare County Library and live in hopes.