The Ennis Mills on Mill Road

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

macnimation

The Ennis Mills on Mill Road

Post by macnimation » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

I'm researching the Ennis Mills for a project.

Although the Mills were demolished in 1983, it seems to be very difficult to find Archive or Historical photos of the Mills, either after they were closed down or even while they were in use. The 70 foot red brick Chimney was a landmark for a long time, but it seems to be forgotten now.

I'm looking for as many Photos, plans, architectural drawings etc as possible, either from the bridge or the River bend.

Any links or reference to books etc would be appreciated.

cheers

Paddy Casey

Re: The Ennis Mills on Mill Road

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:32 pm

A search for "Ennis mills" (using the inverted commas) throws up, for example, an article by councillor Brian Meaney at http://www.brianmeaney.net/drupal/node/65 which states:

The Mill has been a part of Ennis for hundreds of years, having been built in the middle of the 16th century. Although there is evidence that the mills in Ennis were, according to tradition, established by the Franciscan Friars and continued in operation throughout the centuries. Following the dissolution of the Ennis Friary one Dr Nelan obtained a lease of the site of the Monastery of Grey Friars of Inch of Clonnamata, a Water Mill , a salmon Weir and an Ell Weir upon the river Fergus. In 1656 Thomas Bull leased the "Mills of Ennis with a carton of Land " from the earl of Thomond In1712 Francis Gore, an officer in Cromwell’s army purchased these mills from the Earl of Thomond, They were subsequently bought by Messers Bannatyne who worked them as corn grinding and flour mills. Wollen mills were abundant in Ireland until taxed by Thomas Wentworth in 1636.. Messers Bannatyne bought them probably after 1824 as he is not included in the list of the corn factors in the town for that year. By 1846 Bannatyne is listed as being one of the five corn factors and the only Miller in Ennis. By 1837 Ennis Mills had been recently enlarged and capable of producing 30,000 barrels of flour annually. The general change in agricultural practice from the production of corn to beef and also the improvements in the milling process led to the concentration of the industry in Limerick and the decline of Ennis . By 1899 the Mills were closed. It had struggled on for a number of years on a seasonal basis. The Clare Journal 27-12 1903 records that the construction of large grinding wheels in Limerick sounded the death knell for Ennis mills. The development of cheap electric motors and CI engines put the tin hat on it. There is a detailed record of a man operating the Mill in 1888 being "killed and horribly mutilated" indicating that the mill was in full use at this point.

It might be worth talking to councillor Brian Meaney (unless you are he, ha ha). He might have drawings or photos.

Paddy

macnimation

Post by macnimation » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:50 pm

Thanks for the information.

I do know that the Mills were still in operation even up to the 1970's and was used for limestone production. I'm from Ennis myself, and ironically in 1983 I was involved in the demolition of the Mills, in hindsight I should have photographed it........... strange how we go in full circles.

We found several old diesel Briggs and Stratton engines in the abandoned buildings and, as a teenager I was given the task of checking the buildings before demolition. The engines were donated to people who renovated old engines. I remember when the famous Weather Vane was knocked into the muddy river, as the Mills were several Stories high and made of cut stone. As far as I am aware the Weather Vane is still in the river.....I was there when the 70 foot red brick chimney was blown up...

Thanks again.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:07 pm

I forgot to mention that the Ordnance Survey in Dublin will almost certainly have aerial photos of the mills in their archives. I had a lot of contact with their aerial photography department some years back and they have loads of images going back years. Finding a suitable image is, however, not a trivial task since they have masses of Clare stuff shot at various altitudes and resolutions, B&W and colour, various dates, etc. etc. However, the staff is very helpful indeed.

It makes things much easier if you can call at their offices in Phoenix Park and go through their collections with them or at least call them and talk through your needs with them. Have the geographical coordinates of the Mills ready because that is what they use to locate the area.

Having said all that, they may have all the images on a database now and finding an image may be very easy.

Paddy

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:38 pm

If you search the Clare library's online photographic collection (http://foto.clarelibrary.ie/fotoweb/) using 'ennis mill' and 'mill road' there are some photos of the mills there. I'd also recommend you contact the Irish Architectural Archive (http://www.iarc.ie/) - they may have drawings or photos of the mills.
Mike

M. McNamara

Post by M. McNamara » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Talk to Oliver Moylan (ex Ennis Cash Co.) about the Mills. I met him last Sunday when a group of us assembled in Quin for a talk & walk on mining in the Quin area.
He mentioned that the Mill was used for crushing stone to extract calcite during the 2nd. World War.

macnimation

Post by macnimation » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks for the information, I'll check it out.

Yes, I know Oliver Moylan of the Ennis Cash Co. In fact it was Oliver who led the lobby to retain the 70 foot red brick chimney although surveyors had deemed it dangerous as it was no longer protected from the elements once the Mill were demolished. Efforts were made to find solutions to retaining the chimney, but it was found that the first 20 feet were straight, the next 30 feet were off at an angle and the final 20 feet were going in a different direction, which made it dangerous. It would have had to have been taken down and rebuilt anyway and so was costly.

Ironically, when the chimney was taken down, it was a few months later before anyone realized it was gone.

I will follow up on the info given. Thank you.