Just Returned from Ireland - A Semi-Report

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

s1nead

Just Returned from Ireland - A Semi-Report

Post by s1nead » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:49 am

My husband and I have just returned from a two week trip to Ireland. After years of research, it was so satisfying to finally visit the places I'd only read about.
I've only located the graves of two relatives and we went to see them both.
My great great grandmother is buried in a crypt in a small graveyard in Ballyea where her husband owned a considerable amount of property. Originally designated as a cemetery for "Limbo Babies", besides her crypt, we saw their flat stone markers in the ground. In this tiny ancient graveyard, there were only these markers, one full size headstone and the crypt.
I was so lucky when I had located this crypt several years ago and am only the third family member to visit it.
Standing by her crypt, the peaceful vista of gently rolling hills and blue sky before me probably has not changed much in the 147 years since her death in 1870.
The stone crypt is actually built into the surrounding earth. Its front door is obviously and deliberately pitched facing south.
Peaking inside, there is a Saint's Holy Water Font attached to an interior wall.
A neighboring farmer told us that, supposedly, gold candle sticks and a gold chalice had been stolen from the crypt many years ago.
We haven't located the grave of my great great grandfather who died two years after his wife in 1872 but several people have told me that he is probably also in the crypt.
The daughter-in-law of my great great grandparents is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin.
Widowed in 1894, she had moved from Ennistymon to Dublin with her only child, my grandfather, in about 1901.
She died there three years later at 49 years of age.
Orphaned and very unhappy, my grandfather emigrated to New York in 1908 and never returned to Ireland.
I am only the second person in the family to visit this grave in Glasnevin.
It was a very emotional experience. As you can see in the picture, her stone has faded and there was ivy growing on it. I am in the process of making inquiries about its restoration. I plan on inviting my cousins to share in this project with me. I think it will be a cool "Cousins' Project" to honor our grandfather.
While in County Clare, we stayed at the Sunny-Side Cottage in Ennistymon where my grandfather was born in 1886.
Now a "self catering" accommodation, it has been beautifully restored by its new owners who are as interested in its history as I.
It is seriously an AMAZING place to stay while visiting this part of County Clare. The owners, Kevin & Phyllis Haran, are wonderful, warm, friendly hosts and they advertise it on VRBO. If you ever need a place to stay, you will not be disappointed if you chose the Sumny-Side Cottage.
Built in the 1840s as a hunting lodge for the Stacpoole family, my great grandfather purchased it in about 1870.
I could not believe that I was waking up in the home of my ancestors, albeit in their renovated stable/barn. The owners live in the restored house.
The property is situated directly behind The Falls Hotel, separated by the Cascades. Both my great grandfather and his father before him worked for the MacNamara family of Ennistymon House (The Falls Hotel).
After three days at the Sunny-Side Cottage, we moved on to the birthplace of my great grandfather, Moher Lodge.
It was at Moher Lodge that he and his four siblings were born and the family lived there from 1830-1864. Their father had leased the house and its surrounding 72 acres from Captain MacNamara (for £60).
Standing derelict for decades, it is now a world class yoga retreat center - the Cliffs of Moher Retreat Center and its owners had invited us to spend the night as their guests.
What an experience!
I am so incredibly grateful that my two ancestral homes are both in the hands of people who love their history and are taking such great care of their legacy. How awful if they'd been in ruins.
Sorry this is so long but I just wanted to share my experience with fellow family historians whom, I know, would understand this incredible experience.

Susan Reilly DeVore

https://ennistymon.blogspot.com
Attachments
image.jpeg
The Sunny-Side Cottage
image.jpeg (104.7 KiB) Viewed 7788 times
image.jpeg
Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin
image.jpeg (123.58 KiB) Viewed 7788 times
image.jpeg
The crypt is actually pushed into the surrounding earth.
image.jpeg (109.48 KiB) Viewed 7788 times
image.jpeg
Close up of the inscription
image.jpeg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 7788 times
image.jpeg
This is the crypt of my great great grandmother who died in Ennistymon in 1870. It is located in Ballyea in a tiny graveyard originally designated for Limbo Babies.
image.jpeg (141.07 KiB) Viewed 7788 times
Last edited by s1nead on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deegrif

Re: Just Returned from Ireland - A Semi-Report

Post by deegrif » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Interesting account, you're very lucky to have found both ancestral homes. Enjoyable description of your trip.

s1nead

Re: Just Returned from Ireland - A Semi-Report

Post by s1nead » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:23 am

Thank you for reading it!