Doora and Kilraghtis Baptisms 1821-1862, plus 1862-1881

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Doora and Kilraghtis Baptisms 1821-1862, plus 1862-1881

Post by Sduddy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Here is my transcription of Doora and Kilraghtis baptisms 1821-1862, attached.
Only the first half (or so) of the records give the residence (usually townland) and parish.
The Catholic parish of Doora and Kilraghtis contained three civil parishes: Doora, Kilragthis and Templemaley. I think the priest sometimes gave the wrong parish for the townland (residence) in question.
When looking for an ancestor’s name keep an open mind as to how it might have been spelled: McInerny is McInerhiny is McKenerny.
The dates are higgledy-piggledy in parts of this register, so I’ve tried to compensate by putting the pages, as they are online, in the notes column (normally this would not be necessary). I hope this will encourage people to check the original. This is important because I am prone to guessing, and I know there must be a lot of mistakes. For instance, I’m sure I confused Halloran with Hallinan on many occasions.
If mistakes are pointed out to me, I can edit the transcription.

I hope to have the second set of Doora and Kilraghtis baptisms (1862 – 1881) ready in early April.

Sheila

Edited Nov. 15, 2017 to insert a column for notes in order to separate them from page numbers.
Edited May 03, 2018 to add 'plus 1862 - 1881' to the title - this to show my inclusion of the later batch of baptisms 1862-1881 in this thread - see bottom of page.

The transcription, which was attached here, has been transferred to Donated Material: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... 1-1881.htm
Last edited by Sduddy on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.

murf

Re: Doora and Kilraghtis baptisms 1821-1862

Post by murf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks Sheila
Your rate of output is truly amazing. I have added these latest to the Register.

Due to spelling variations, duplications, and other irregularities, some baptism/marriage entries can be quite misleading. So transcribers have to walk a tight line between providing a true and faithful translation of the original entry on the one hand, but at the same time trying to ensure that researchers are not sent down a wrong alley on the other. Transcriptions can be a useful shortcut to finding a record of interest, but researchers are strongly advised to view the original microfilmed record to satisfy themselves that the transcription is accurate.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Sheila,

Here's a little anecdote to show you how useful your efforts are. Back in 1995, long before the digital age, my cousin ordered a report from the Clare Heritage Centre and received four baptisms and one marriage from the O'Callaghan's Mills parish book, plus a list of other parishes where supposedly other Carberry records had been made. I was able to review most of those other parishes over the years, but not the one you just transcribed and circulated. None of the others had anything close to my surname, but, as you know, there is an 1821 baptism in Kilraghtis for a Thomas Carbury and wife Maria Naughtin. The child John has not shown up in any descendant's postings, but I think this is likely the same Thomas who then had children baptised in the parish for Kilfenora, starting with Kate in about 1824, Mary 1825, and Patrick 1828, who all then relocated to New South Wales, Australia, with descendants not interested in this family's Clare history. Their mother, according to Mary's records, was Mary Hare, so likely the first wife died and perhaps also the child. When and if I am ever contacted by a descendant, I can now provide this clue to Thomas's earlier history and I finally have data from all the parishes merely listed by CHC. Thanks for letting me close the book on this.

However, my O'Connell/Connell research is ongoing, and it includes the "Tureen House" residence of William who has a baptism in this parish. This additional info from such an early time is highly valuable, and I thank you very much.

Sharon Carberry

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi Sharon

I’m delighted you found Thomas Carbury, and also William O’Connell. I have put a question mark for one of William’s sponsors, but I can see clearly now that it is Mauritio (Maurice) O’Connell.
I am flying through the second batch of Doora-Kilragthis (1862-1881) at an alarming rate. Knowing that researchers can check my transcription against the civil records is like a wind to my back. Among the baptisms in this batch are those of the children of Elizabeth O’Connell and James Hynes and one of their sons is called Maurice John. The residence is Tureen. I am guessing Elizabeth is one of the O’Connells you are researching.

It’s funny that you should mention Kilfenora because I was already eyeing up Kilfenora for my next project.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm sorry Sharon - I see now that all of those Hynes-O'Connell baptisms are in the first batch (1821 - 1862) - there's only one in the 1862 - 1881 batch - Maurice John O'Connell, baptised 1st Apr. 1863 (pg. 6 of microfiche).

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:11 am

Excellent catches, Sheila. Maurice fits very nicely with this group of O'Connells, which I am studying in further depth with an aim to either connect my Kilkishen line to them or not. "Maurice John" is, like "Morgan John," a moniker used often in this family of Kerry origin.

See the Hynes item below, which also explains how Toureen House met its end.

While reviewing my O'Connell notes, I ran across a news item that expands on one of your marriage entries (shown below). Interesting that the priest chose to enter a nickname for the groom, who actually was a member of the gentry. As I found in my family's parish (O'Callaghan's Mills), the RC gentry were very much involved with the RC administration locally, another topic that I am researching. It is timely to note that, per the introductory note in my parish's record book, it was on March 17,1939, that Maurice O'Connell of Kilgorey had the honor of laying the foundation stone for the chapel being built in the village of O'Callaghan's Mills, which then was used heavily by the O'Connells for baptisms and such. Names that appeared in your transcription then appear in later years in my transcription. The Kerry-origin O'Connells had huge families, always ten or more children.

Thanks again for your invaluable work,
Sharon C.

Clare Journal 9 March 1848
Marriage
On Saturday last, Andrew Hehir, Esq., M.D., of this town, to Ellen, second daughter of the late Daniel O'Connell, Esq., of Toureen, in this county.

Parish of Kilraghtis/Doora (Sheila's transcription, my paraphrasing):
Marriage of Andy O'Haire to Ellon O'Connell on 4 March 1848, no residence or witnesses recorded

Hynes Family of Toureen (aka Toorreen & Tuoreen) House, near Ennis, Co Clare: It is believed that James Hynes’ forebears came from Co Roscommon. James, a solicitor in Ennis, married Elizabeth O’Connell of Toureen House. They had about 11 children including twins - William and Thomas born in 1852. William appears to have been the eldest son. Francis was born in 1858. Maurice born in 1863 was the youngest in the family. There were at least two girls. The family lived at Tuoreen House, a 17th century manor house and were of the gentry. The eldest children received education in France and Francis and his younger brother were taken to school in Ennis by a pony and trap. After the death of Elizabeth O’Connell Hynes in 1869 it appeared the father James developed a creeping insanity and neglected his business and to a large extent the family were left to rear themselves. By 1879 the family were facing reduced circumstances and in 1880 James Hynes was evicted from a farm called Drumdoolaghty (approximately 71 acres). It was this eviction which appears to have led to the murder of John Doolaghty in 1882. After the execution of Francis the Hynes family sold what remained of their estate and the family left Ireland. Two brothers and Maurice John Hynes and a sister went to Canada, and others to Australia. Maurice John Hynes married Johanna Hickey and they had 7 children. One of Maurice’s children was named Charles Stewart Parnell Hynes after the famous politician who was a family friend.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... n_1882.htm

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:53 am

Hi Sharon

That account of the Hynes family is very interesting. How very much of life is behind a those bare records! I can remember the ballad about Francis Hynes being sung, and only a couple of months ago, when I was eating in the Auburn Lodge hotel in Ennis, I overheard a conversation about that murder - there was a difference of opinion on it.

Sheila

Sduddy

Re: Doora and Kilraghtis Baptisms 1821-1862, plus 1862-1881

Post by Sduddy » Thu May 03, 2018 11:03 am

Here is my transcription of Doora and Kilraghtis baptisms 1862 - 1881, from the N.L.I. microfiche copy of the original at http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls0 ... 1/mode/1up

Sheila

The transcription, which was attached here, has been transferred to Donated Material: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... 1-1881.htm
Last edited by Sduddy on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Re: Doora and Kilraghtis Baptisms 1821-1862, plus 1862-1881

Post by Sduddy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Here attached is my transcription of Doora-Kilraghtis marriages 1823 – 1880: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 1/mode/1up

Attached also are letters of freedom issued between 1823 – 1829. This means that the marriage took place in another parish (the parish of the bride). The letters went from groom’s priest to the bride’s priest and testified that the groom was free to marry. Usually the bride then came to live in the parish of her husband. In fact she usually came that very day – wedding celebrations began in the house of the bride and were resumed that night in the house of the groom.

Clare Roots Society have (long since) done a transcription that goes up to 1900 – google Doora - Barefield Marriage Index Records.

Sheila
Attachments
Doora-Kilraghtis LettersofFreedom.xlsx
(50.24 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
Doora Kilraghtis marriages1823 -1880 by groom.xlsb
(106.87 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
Doora Kilraghtis marriages1823 -1880 by bride.xlsb
(101.46 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
Doora Kilraghtis marriages1823 -1880.xlsb
(107.62 KiB) Downloaded 440 times