Archived Law Records

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

s1nead

Archived Law Records

Post by s1nead » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:28 am

My great grandfather was a solicitor with an office in Dublin and another office in Ennistymon.

My current project is in creating a "whole" picture of him.......

He died in 1894 (56 years old).

Does anyone know what would have happened to his records?

Would they have been archived somewhere?

If found, would I be able to see, read or copy them?

We are coming to Ireland next week!! (I am currently printing the suggestions for visiting Eire that are on this page!)

I'm trying to create a real "picture" of him and his father. Since both were prominent in Ennistymon , they are mentioned dozens of times in the newspapers of the period.

I have learned that my great grandfather was involved in two "famous" cases......

One was called "The Great Irish Will Case" - Fitzgerald v Fitzgerald. Lady Edward Fitzgerald was sued by her late husband's brother. My ancestor was on her team - they lost the case.

He was also mentioned in the Moonlighter Murder of Head Constable Whelehen.

Anyway - I thought it would be interesting to take a look at his records.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

Lucille

Re: Archived Law Records

Post by Lucille » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Sinead

Some solicitors'records made it to the National Archives in Bishop Street in Dublin though I believe an awful lot of those have not been catalogued and are mouldering away in storage. The rest are scattered around the country and probably many have been destroyed to make space for more. Do you happen to know who took over your great-grandfather's Ennistymon office - it's just possibly still a going concern - a long shot though.

Enjoy your visit to Ireland. Bring your raingear!

Lucille

s1nead

Re: Archived Law Records

Post by s1nead » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:43 am

Thank you for your reply!
I am so annoyed with myself!
Several years ago, I had come across information about property that had been managed for my grandfather (who had emigrated to America in 1908).
The Law Office was in Ennis.
On a whim, I did contact that office - explaining my genealogical reasons.
The Law Office was MOST polite - and invited me to the office to go over the records they had if I am ever in Ireland.
I am NOW in Dublin.
Tonight, looking over some of my cousin's family papers, I read about a law firm in ENNIS that had "inherited" the VERY files that I am seeking!!
ARGH
Of course, I don't have ANY memory of that firm's name or address.....
So sad.....