Doora and Kilraghtis parish records query

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Doora and Kilraghtis parish records query

Post by Sduddy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:11 pm

On this forum in 2015, under the topic “Researching Garvey and Roughan” : http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... nd+Roughan, mha56 gave this link to a Clare Roots Society transcription of Doora – Kilraghtis marriages (Doora-Barefield marriage index records): http://www.ennisparish.com/wp-content/u ... rriage.xls
It is a very useful resource, and, as a bonus, it gives records right up to 1900.
I am wondering if the baptism records were transcribed also. Someone may be able to say.

Note: the civil parish of Templemaley was part of the Catholic parish of Doora and Kilraghtis.

Sheila

Sduddy

Re: Doora and Kilraghtis parish records query

Post by Sduddy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:51 am

As nobody has replied to say whether or not there’s already a transcription of the Doora and Kilraghtis baptisms, I’ve made a start on one myself. It will take a while.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 am

I just hope I don’t make too many mistakes with this transcription.
Here’s a surname I’ve never seen before and can’t find by searching clarelibrary: Ahah.
Jan.16th 1823: Maria Ahah of Jacobus Ahah and Mealy, Jasper’s Pound, Doora. (bottom of page 17).
May 15th 1824: Daniel Ahah of Carolus Ahah and Brigidda Lyons, Jasper’s Pound Doora. (6 entries down from the top of page 24 – left hand side)
May 22nd 1825: Brigidda Ahah of Jacobus Ahah and Margretta Maly, Deerpark, Doora. (middle of page 25 – right hand side)
Oct. 5th 1828: Carolus Ahah of Carolus Ahah and Bridgidda Lyons, Deerpark, Doora. (3 entries down from top of page 36 – right hand side)

Has anyone heard of James and Charles Ahah living in Doora - also Owen Ahah, who was a sponsor at a couple of the baptisms? - I wonder if I'm reading the name correctly.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Sheila,

Good for you that you can buckle down and focus on yet another film. Thanks for the effort.

Good to pose the question, as Ahah is just too weird. However, having seen how penmanship of that era can be distorted by the small space on such pages, I have a thought or two. Perhaps you can discern if the surname is actually Allen or Ahern, both of which appear in the matching marriage film. My vote is for Allen, as Daniel b.1824 might be grandson of the Daniel Allen in the Tithe Applotment records as residing in Clooney of Doora & Quin civil parish. That surname was certainly present in the general NE Clare region throughout the 1800s. Sorry that I cannot get into the film today myself to see the images.

Best of luck,
Sharon C.

murf

Post by murf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:53 pm

A good clue is to be found in the tithe applotment listing for Doora Parish.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ra_tab.htm
In the townland of Deer Park is Cha's, John, and Owen HAUGH. Also a widow HAUGH and Patt LYONS in Jasper's Pound.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:23 am

Murf, you are right and that was the obvious place to look. I was so bent on finding “Ahah” that I forgot to approach from the residence angle.

Sharon, thank you also for giving my query your attention and for making suggestions. Yes, I have come upon both Allen and Ahern. Also McCally, which has a Ulster ring to it – maybe one of the “Ultach” families that migrated after the battle of the Diamond in 1795 – some as far as South Galway and the Slieve Aughty region of Co. Clare, it seems.

Michael Mac Mahon, in his history of Corofin parish, speaks of the “Ultachs” (p. 175). He believes that this migration explains the arrival in the Kilnaboy area of families with names of Ulster origin such as Carkil, McGann, Cassidy, Gilligan, Kierse and others.
Terri Shoosmith in her thesis, “Settlement and Social Change in the Barony of Tulla”, c. 1650 – 1845” https://aran.library.nuigalway.ie/bitst ... sequence=1, mentions the appearance, by the early nineteenth century, of northern surnames such as Galiher, Neil and Quigley, but does not say that they are “Ultachs”. For anyone not wishing to read a thesis, Shoosmith has a beautifully clear synopsis, “A Study of a Changing Land: The Barony of Tulla from 1650 -1845”, in Slieve Aughty Journal, No. 16 (p. 35), but this does not include any mention of the new surnames.

Sheila

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:21 am

Thank you for the note about the possibility of the Ultach names in Co Clare, in which Kierse/Kierce is mentioned. My gggg grandmother was a Kierce from near Corofin, and I wondered why there were so few in the Tithes Books in this part of Clare. I think her brother was a Francis Kierce, married to Bridget Doolan abt 1820; another brother was possibly Robert Kierce married to Cath (I suspect Mary) Lawler in 1823.

Kerry

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi Kerry

I have rambled a bit away from the subject-matter of this thread, having Rath and Kilnaboy still in my head, but after this reply I will keep this thread for Doora-Kilraghtis.

Just to be clear: Michael Mac Mahon, in ‘The Parish of Corofin – a historical profile’ (pg.175) doesn’t state for a fact that the surname Kierse originates in Ulster, but he gives background information which could explain the arrival of this surname (and some other surnames) in Kilnaboy and other parts of North West Clare at the beginning of the 19th century. He gives a short account of the sectarian strife in Ulster in 1795, which resulted in Catholics fleeing southwards. He says that it is estimated that 20,000 had fled by 1810, the majority settling on marginal lands and commonages. Some Catholic landlords, amongst them Lord Altamont of Westport and Edward Martin of Tullira, near Gort, settled many of the refugees on their estates. He says, “On 27 August 1896 the Dublin Evening Post reported that Martin had already given asylum to more than 1,000 souls, and the number was increasing by the hour”. He points out that there is a townland in Doolin [North West Clare] called Cuige Ulagh (Ulster Province) and that in Clouna there is a hill called Knockanulty (the hill of the Ulstermen).
He finishes the piece by saying, “Against this background we can more easily explain the arrival in Killinaboy around this time of families with names of Ulster origin, such as Carkil, McGann, Cassidy, Gilligan, Kierse and others, some of whom have now disappeared".

Sheila

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:11 am

Thanks, Sheila, for that clarification of McMahon's comments re possible Ulster background of some family names in Clare by early 1800s. I will post further comments under Kierce of Rath KIllinaboy

Kerry