Consanguinity in marriage

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Lucille

Consanguinity in marriage

Post by Lucille » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:28 am

Hi

I have a 1860 marriage in Miltown Malbay from the NLI records, where written under the names of bride and groom is "the above were dispensed 3rd & 3rd". I understand that they were within the 3rd degree of consanguinity or relationship which required a dispensation from the Bishop (I think?) before the marriage could go ahead. But does the 3rd and 3rd imply that they were twice related? And does the 3rd degree imply 2nd or 3rd cousins?

Thanks to anyone who could clarify this, or direct me to a good source.

Lucille

smcarberry

Re: Consanguinity in marriage

Post by smcarberry » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Lucille,

I had to research this while doing my parish's transcription (O'Callaghan's Mills, 1835-1880) because there were several such dispensations noted, with some of differing numerals (i.e., "3rd & 4th degrees"). If the same numeral appears for both bride and groom, it means that their common ancestor was the same number of generations back, and thus they are both the same approximate age. If differing numerals appear, then there is potentially a generation's worth of age differing between them (or perhaps the groom is the youngest of his family and the bride is one of the eldest of hers).

Anyone with more particular info, feel free to further clarify this. I read just enough to satisfy my curiosity, as no one in my lines had this dispensation.

Hope that helps,
Sharon Carberry

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Thank you Sharon. Now just have to work out how they were related!

Lucille

murf

Post by murf » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Lucille
It may help you to check out the article on consanguinity in Wikipedia.
Cheers, murf

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Thank you Murf for that suggestion. It's a very full article but worth taking time over.

I'm happy now that my pair shared great grandparents.

Thanks for your help

Lucille