Clare's WWI dec'd US soldiers Darcy, Hasset, McMahon, Murphy

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Clare's WWI dec'd US soldiers Darcy, Hasset, McMahon, Murphy

Post by smcarberry » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:59 pm

I just happened upon a Freeman's Journal article on WWI soldiers brought back by the U.S. Army to Clare for burial.

Sharon Carberry, not related

online at:
http://www.skynet.ie/~dan/jpquinlan/

The Freeman's Journal, Monday May 8, 1922

"SAD HOMECOMING
Irish American Soldiers Who Died In France
Sixty Four Bodies From The Battlefields.

The bodies of sixth-four American soldiers, men of Irish birth, arrived in Dublin at noon yesterday on board the ss. Millwater, having been exhumed from graves on French battlefields for re-interment in Irish soil.
Claimed by relatives for burial in Ireland, the United States Government arranged for the removal of the bodies from France.
It is understood that the work of unloading the caskets will be commenced this morning, and the bodies will be removed to a City mortuary for storage pending their transfer by rail to their various destinations. Captain W. R. Buckley, U.S. Army, told a 'Freeman's Journal" representative that no ceremoney will mark the landing of the bodies.
Accompanied by four convoyers, Captain Buckley has arrived in Dublin in connection with the shipment, and will remain in Ireland till all the bodies are delivered. The names of the convoyers are: Messers. Johnston, Stewart, Williams and Royed.

SALUTING THE DEAD

The Ss. Millwater, which is a a small British coasting vessel, owned in Ipswich, recieved the caskets at Antwerp. Mr. Richard R., Willey, U.S. Vice-COnsul at Dublin, was among those present when the vessel berthed at City Quay.
During the day the vessel was the centre of much interest, and those passing up and down the Liffey-side reverently saluted the remains, which are ranged in the holds of the vessel.
A number of relatives of the deceased have arrived in Dublin for the purpose of accompanying the remains on their last homeward journey.
Every province and practically all the counties are prepresented among the dead, which include Rev. Patrick J. Gallagher, Knights of Columbus Chaplain, whose body is consigned to Mr. James Galagher, Castlebar, Mayo."

The indicated webpage has a separate table with last column containing info not in the newspaper, indicating further research by the webpage creator.

Deceased: Private John P. DARCY next of kin: Mr. Michael Darcy destinaton for burial purposes: Mount Scott, Miltown-Malby, Miltown-Malby railway station, Co. Clare.
entered military service as J P DARCY; NEW HAVEN CONN

Private Martin HASSETT next of kin: Mr. James Hassett
Kilfara, Kilkee, Co. Clare.
entered service as M HASSET; CHICAGO IL

Private Thomas MCMAHON next of kin: Mrs. Katherine McMahon Moyasta, Kilrush, Co. Clare.
entered service at: NOT DETERMINED [using Ancestry.com]

Corporal John J. MURPHY next of kin: Mr. John Murphy Aildavour, Connolly, Co. Clare.
entered service at: NOT DETERMINED

miriam scahill

Re: Clare's WWI dec'd US soldiers Darcy, Hasset, McMahon, Murphy

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Hello Sharon - sad to see such young men die. R.I.P. Re U.S. soldier Darcy - there are a few families of Darcy in the Mullagh area - and Patrick living at Mountscott, Mullagh, Ennis. A relation - Capt. Paul Darcy of Kilrush (Irish Army), R.I .P. , brought out a book of poems some years ago and refers to his childhood visits to Mullagh. My sister has a copy and I spend time reading it when I can.
I am sure there are still Hassetts at Kilfearagh, Kilkee, and McMahons at Moyasta, Kilrush.
Miriam.

jcd8822

Post by jcd8822 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:13 pm

miriam scahill wrote: - there are a few families of Darcy in the Mullagh area - and Patrick living at Mountscott, Mullagh, Ennis. .
Miriam, do you know anything about the Darcy indiiduals who are still near Mullage? I am still trying to find out where my great grandfather came from in Ireland. He was b.in 1828, s/o Patrick Darcy and Ellen McGuane.

Joseph
jcd8822@gmail.com
Researching Darcy, Moran, Walsh

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Hello Joseph - It was very sad to see such young men die in 1922. My reply to the last posting was got by looking at the telephone book. Now to get you started on finding several families of Darcy & McGuane - log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - open Genealogy = several docs. - but Tithes & Applotments of 1824 and also Griffith Vals. of 1855 will show you many families of the name. I think the area to concentrate on is the parish of Kilmurray/Ibricin - Mullagh (St. Mary's) is the main Church with one at village of Quilty and one in a rural area called Coore. Again log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - genealogy - and go to Research Support at bottom right of page - Parish Index - select Kilmurray/Ibricin (there are two other parishes called Kilmurray ) - great reading. I looked at photos and there are some of Darcy children attending Mullagh school in 1964. !!
In recent months graveyard inscriptions for all the graveyards in South West Clare have been put on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - again on Genealogy - donated material. I must say a very BIG Thank You to Senan Scanlan, Kilrush for doing so.
I had a quick look and found: Kylebreedia Graveyard - Patrick Luke Darcy died 1835 aged 36. and at Killernan Graveyard - John McGuane died 1898 aged 67 - so he might be a brother to your gg father.
A project was done some years ago by students - all Baptismal Records up to 1900 were put in 'Family' order - so the Parish Priest at St. Mary's Church, Mullagh would hold it.
I will send you a mess. about the Darcy family I know.
Miriam.