Michael Considine, Spancelhill

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Michael Considine, Spancelhill

Post by Sduddy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:15 pm

We are told that Michael Considine, composer of the song “ Spancil Hill”, was born in Clooney in 1850, so I think he must be Michael, the son of Peter Considine and Mary Rogers who was baptised on 11th Aug. 1850; sponsors: John McGannon and Bridget Daffy.
The Quin-Clooney parish register gives their address as Castletown, and I think this must be in the townland of Muckinish – at least Castletown House was in Muckinish. Other children of Peter and Mary recorded in the Quin-Clooney parish register are:
30th Mar. 1840: John of Peter Considine and Mary Rogers, Castletown : sponsors: John Considine and Peg (?).
11th Jun. 1846: Pat* of Peter Considine and Mary Rogers, Castletown; sponsors: Patt and Ellen Considine.
4th Oct. 1855: William of Peter Considine and Mary Rogers, Castletown; sponsors: Bridget Considine and Thomas McNamara.
7th May 1860: Daniel of Peter Considine and Mary Rogers, Castletown; sponsors: Daniel Considine and Mary Heath.
31st Jan. 1863: Daniel of Peter Considine and Mary Rogers, Castletown; sponsors: Patt Connors and Margaret Connors.

There must have been a Delia whose baptism was not recorded. The record of the death of Delia Clune, aged 62, in New York, on 5th March 1908, gives her parents as Peter Consodine and Rogers (familysearch.org). Her address is given as 2087 Bathgate ave., Bronx, New York, so she must be the Bridget Clune who was living at that address in 1900. The 1900 census shows John Clune, b. 1842, aged 58; 26 yrs married; born in Ireland; immigration year: 1870; Court attendant; and his wife Bridget, b. 1848, aged 52; 26 yrs married; born in Ireland; immigration year: 1871; their daughter, Mary, b. 1875, aged 24, single; born in New York; School Teacher; and their son Patrick H., b. 1877, aged 23, single; born in New York; Lawyer. They are living at Bathgate Avenue, Bronx Borough.

Michael’s brother Patrick remained at home in Muckinish and married Catherine O’Connell in 1875. The Quin-Clooney parish register shows the baptism of their son, John, on 21st Nov. 1875: sponsors: William Considine and Ellen Considine. John must be their only child – Patrick died in Apr. 1876, aged only 26. His headstone in Kilraghtis graveyard is inscribed: Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on the souls of Patrick Considine, Spancilhill died 18-Apr. 1876, aged 26 years. His wife Catherine Considine died 19-Apr. 1929. Their son John Considine died 6-Nov. 1956. His wife Mary K. Considine died 2-May 1960. Rest in Peace. Erected by their loving family. CONSIDINE.

We are told that Michael sent his song (from California) to his nephew, John, who kept it safely until he was an old man. This John must be Patrick’s son.

Michael’s sister, Ellen, married John Forde from Coogaquid, Kilnamona, on 19th Feb. 1876. The Quin-Clooney parish record of the marriage gives the witnesses as John Frawley and Ellen Rogers. John and Ellen lived in Cooguquid and had at least four children (going on 1901 census). Ellen died in 1886, aged only 35.

I tried to find records for Michael’s brothers, John b. 1840, William b. 1855, and Daniel b. 1863, but found nothing. William was still at home in 1875 – he was a sponsor at the baptism of Patrick’s son, John, that year. He was aged 20 then.

Somebody may have the full story.

Sheila

Sduddy

Re: Michael Considine, Spancelhill

Post by Sduddy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:15 am

This entry on Wikipedia gives some information on the family of Michael Considine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spancil_Hill, but I'm not sure how some of the information was come by, nor how reliable it is. This (complete) version of Spancil Hill sung by Robbie McMahon, mentions “my sister, Ellen, my brothers Pat and Bill” (at the 3.07 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwoRoAaLyNw. I suspect that these three were the only ones still at home at the time.

Sheila