Rebecca Arthur - married by moonlight?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

fullmark

Re: Rebecca Arthur - married by moonlight?

Post by fullmark » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:23 am

and quite possibly my Arthurs as this the same region they all settled........ Oh for a crystal ball!!!

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:09 pm

Earlier in this thread I referred to the site created by Raymond Kelly, which gives the descendants of Patrick Kelly of Dysert: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hilaryr/ ... html#I2457

Here is a somewhat nit-picking correction to the information on that site, but it may be of interest to somebody: Patrick Kelly’s wife is given as “Chuck” Brew, but she was Susan Brew. I do not doubt that Raymond Kelly was given the name “Chuck” by someone who remembered hearing of a Chuck Brew, but I firmly believe that Chuck was Susan’s sister.
Griffith’s Valuation shows Susan Kelly as leasing land in Drummina, Dysert, and Raymond Kelly has mistakenly taken this to be a daughter of Patrick and “Chuck”, but it is Susan herself – by 1856 she was the widow of Patrick and was holding the farm in her own name. The land in Drummina, where the Kellys were tenants, belonged to the Marquis of Thomond, who sold his lands in December 1857 under the Encumbered Estate Act in a large number of lots. The advertisement for the sale of the farm, which was occupied by the Kellys (lot No. 131), gives the sitting tenant as Mrs. Susan Kelly. The record of the death of Susan Kelly, on 16th Feb. 1868, a widow, aged 83, gives her address as Dromona, Dysart. Her death was reported in The Clare Journal on 20th Feb. 1868: “At Drummona, on Sunday, in the 82nd year of her age, Susan, relict of the late Patrick Kelly, Esq. The deceased was the daughter of the late Francis Brew, Esq., and closely allied to the family of the late Sir Michael O’Loghlen, Master of the Rolls. …The remains were interred in Dysert churchyard, the burial place of the ancestors of herself and those of her kindred.” One of Susan’s children was called Susan* and many her other children gave the name to one of their daughters. I found that three of her daughters, whose children are not mentioned on the site, each called a daughter Susan. The name Charlotte, which is probably the correct version of “Chuck”, is never used by Susan’s descendants, whilst at least three of the descendants of Susan’s sister are called Charlotte.

Just thought that I would make that small point, though it makes no real difference to the rest of the Kelly family tree.

Sheila

*Susan Kelly married Michael McMahon in Ruan chapel on 20th Feb. 1849. She predeceased her mother, dying in 1864 at age 39; her gravestone (horizontal) is in Dysert graveyard, but is not included in the inscriptions for that graveyard on findagrave.com.
Last edited by Sduddy on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi Margaret

I looked in the Doora and Kilraghtis register for the baptism of a child of Tom McNamara and Kate Arthur, but found only one:
14th Sept. 1861: Margaret of Thomas McNamara and Kate Arthur; sponsors: Denis Galvin, Margaret McNamara.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:31 pm

At about the same time that Rebecca Arthur and James Kelly were having their children in Ruan, Ellen Arthur and Nathaniel Kerin were also having children in Ruan. I suspect that Ellen was a sister of Rebecca. As with Rebecca, I can find no record of the marriage, but the baptisms of five children are recorded in the Ruan and Dysart Register:
October 1845: Francis of Nathaniel Kerin and Ellen Arthur; sponsors: Michael Arthur and Margaret Gilteson, Ruan.
November 1846: Anne of N. Kerin and Ellen Arthur; sponsors: Thomas Arthur and Margaret Gleeson.
3rd June 1849: John of Nathaniel Kerin and Ellen Arthur; sponsors: Arthur Brew and Rebecca Arthur.
14th Dec. 1853: Ellen of Nathaniel Kerin and Ellen Arthur; sponsors: James Arthur and Susanna Kelly.
20th Nov. 1856: Nathaniel Kerin of Nath. Kerin and Ellen Arthur; sponsors: Charlotte Kerin.

I can find no further record for Ellen and Nathaniel. There’s a Kerin tomb in Ruan old graveyard, but the inscription is in medieval Latin, and it may be for a different Kerin family: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... veyard.htm

The Tithe Applotments shows Nathaniel Kerin Esq. in Nouen, Ruan, and Griffith’s Valuation ditto. Here his surname is “Kieran”, and the townland is Nooan.

The Calendar of Wills has an entry for Edmond Kerin, Nooan, which shows that he died on 7th Jun. 1849 and that administration of his estate was granted to his brother, Nathaniel Kerin.

I tried to glean a bit more on Nathaniel Kerin from the thumbnails on http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ , but all I found was that Nathaniel Kerin’s land was advertised for sale under the Encumbered Estates act in 1860, and must have failed to sell as it was advertised again in 1864. Plus on 22nd Dec. 1864 a notice appeared in the Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser regarding the railway line going through his land.

I am wondering if anyone has anything further on Nathaniel Kerin and Ellen Arthur and their children.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:32 am

Hi Margaret

That was a poor effort I made at finding baptisms of children of Tom McNamara and Kate Arthur. I looked again and found two more:

3rd Jul. 1848: Pat of Tom McNamara and Kate Arthur; sponsors: Daniel Galvin, Margaret Molony.
6th Feb. 1853: Bridget of Tom McNamara and Kate Arthur; sponsors: Patt O'Connor, Mary Doolen.

Sheila