Clare Liberal Club 1828

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

matthewmacnamara

Clare Liberal Club 1828

Post by matthewmacnamara » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:21 pm

This club was active in April 1828. Would anyone know where it stood politically?
The secretary was a Mr Scott and they met in Carmodys Hotel.

Sduddy

Re: Clare Liberal Club 1828

Post by Sduddy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi Matthew

The Liberal Club is mentioned in the piece on Tom Steele under “Clare People” on the home page of clarelibrary ie.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... steele.htm:

Here is the relevant paragraph: “Daniel O'Connell named Tom Steele as "Head Pacificator", with the duty of quelling faction-fighting. Secret societies and faction fighting were preventing the possibility of any united effort being made by the people towards securing emancipation. After the passing of the Catholic Emancipation Act the landlords sought to consolidate their strength by establishing Brunswick Clubs throughout the country. O'Connell formed the Liberal and Independent Clubs. Tom Steele was the founder of the Limerick Independent Club in August 1828”.

The piece does not mention Mr. Scott, but I know that he was a supporter of Daniel O’Connell and that he attended the sessions of the Court of Registry in 1829 in order to defend those applicants to the register of electors, who might otherwise have been deemed (by supporters of the Brunswicker Club) as not qualifying for the vote. See the posting “Court of Registry June 1929” and the attached newspaper article which mentions Mr. Scott: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6803

Sheila

matthewmacnamara

Re: Clare Liberal Club 1828

Post by matthewmacnamara » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:18 pm

Many thanks Sheila.
I saw the advertisement in the Limerick Evening Post. This newspaper - 1828 to 1833 - was strong for O'Connell and the Catholic Association.
The publisher was a Mr Geary of Francis street Limerick. I presume that he himself was a Catholic.