Keane/Kane & Minogue, Ennistymon & Mountshannon

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

pamr

Keane/Kane & Minogue, Ennistymon & Mountshannon

Post by pamr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Hello!

I'm Pam from Ohio, USA. I came here by way of FT DNA Family Finder. I was clued in about this website by a possible fourth cousin by genetic match who has made me aware of this resource. I am grateful to find the fruits of so much research and transcription on this website, in addition to learning of the knowledgeable contributors to this forum! :D

Our Keanes (we called them Kanes) have always been a mystery to me, but thanks to some useful instructions from my (probable) cousin, I have for the fist time made progress locating this branch of the family using resources on the County Clare website. First I found my great-grandmother's birth registration, Ann Keane (I always thought of her as Anastasia, because I think that was the name used in her own family. Probably Anna for short. I recall being fascinated as a child that the Irish loved Greek names). She was born in 1864. Her father was Patrick Kean (with and without the e, on the same form), from Mountshannon, Scarriff. Her mother was Margaret Minogue. By looking at the surname maps, I can see this is where most of the Minogues were clustered--in the east of the county. Keanes appear to be more widely scattered.

Whoever put your time and effort into those maps, thank you! I found them very helpful, as I'm sure many others do.

Griffith's Valuation 1851 puts Patrick in Mountshannon, parish Inishcaltra, Union of Scarrif

I used the tithing records to locate Patrick's allotment, and found him in Ballymalone, Tomgraney Parish, side-by-side with a possible brother or father: Michael and a Widow Minogue.

Applying the principle of starting with the known and moving to the unknown, I wonder if anyone here is aware of a relationship between the Keanes of Enniston (where my DNA cousins are from) and the Keanes of Mountshannon? My cousins's branch of the family had emigrated before the famine, but mine stayed through till 1855. I found my great-grandmother on the Castle Garden website, on a manifest for the Wyoming, a spinster emigrating at age 21, arriving on October 20 in 1855. There is a young Keane gentleman who is also named on the manifest, a James Keane, laborer, who is unknown to me, but may be a relative.

Here's the little I can contribute from my side of the story: My great-grandmother appears in the 1900 census in upstate New York, a place called Rome, Oneida. She is married to a farmer, John Miller. In the later census he is listed as a milkman. Her family consisted of five daughters and a son. I have every reason to think she settled well in New York state, although she died relatively young at age 55 of asthma.

So, this is my question (I have tons of them, but I'll keep this one focused as I can): What bits of information I have uncovered can be used to expand my knowledge of my Keanes and Minogues? What is the next step?

Thank you for your time, and your kindness

--Pam

johnmayer

Re: Keane/Kane & Minogue, Ennistymon & Mountshannon

Post by johnmayer » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:28 am

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls0 ... 0/mode/1up

This has the marriage of Patt Keane and Margaret Minogue on February 14, 1859 in Scarriff, Parish.

pamr

Re: Keane/Kane & Minogue, Ennistymon & Mountshannon

Post by pamr » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:34 am

I appreciate you sharing that, John!

This is great. Not only do I now have a record of this marriage, I have a glimpse of a romantic couple who tied the knot on Valentine's Day! :D

Thank you!

--Pam