Fr James Finucane PP Kilmurry Ibrickane 1788-1809

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Jim

Fr James Finucane PP Kilmurry Ibrickane 1788-1809

Post by Jim » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:48 pm

Fr James Finucane was PP of Kilmurry Ibrickane from about 1788 until he died in 1809. He lived in Caherush eat of Quilty & built a large house south of Quilty known as Tromoroe House in which he never lived & which he advertised to let in 1803. It was built on land which he leased in perpetuity from Charles Mahon of Cahercalla. He was obviously a wealthy man as this house was then the biggest in the parish. I am trying to establish to which branch of the Finucane family he belonged. One source says that he was of the Cahiracon family whose seat apparently was known as Tonlagee. The connection between the family of Judge Mathias Finucane of Ennis & the O'Briens of Ennistymon & the Macnamaras of Doolin is well documented. In 1814 Fr Finucane's niece & heiress at law Maria Finucane of Ennis made a settlement with Maurice Barrett of Ennis in respect of a judgement which Barrett had obtained against Fr Finucane in 1809. Patrick Barrett was a witness to the deed of settlement. Maurice seems to have been related to Maria Finucane as the deed mentions "in consideration of love & affection". My impression is that Fr Finucane owed Maurice Barrett a substantial sum of money judging by the terms of the settlement. In 1828 Captain (later Admiral Sir) Burton Macnamara RN of the Doolin family was acknowledged as being the legally vested owner of Tromoroe House in a deed recording his being invested as a life to replace the life of one of the three lives in the original lease who was by then deceased. As an aside I wonder if there was a connection between Fr James Finucane & the Rev James Finucane McNamara PP of Kilnoe & Tuamgraney who was suspended by his bishop for challenging a Protestant landlord to a duel in 1830.The branch of the (Protestant) Macnamara family to which Sir Burton belonged included many noted duellists the most famous being Fireball Macnamara.