Barton - Killaloe

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

jimvaughan

Barton - Killaloe

Post by jimvaughan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for help in my research of the above family.
John Barton born abt 1815 married Catherine (Kitty) Reeves born abt 1822 were married in St Flannans in Killaloe in 1843.
Their son James Barton was baptised in Killaloe in October 1844. The address for John & Kitty on these NLI records in simply Killaloe.
This couple had a daughter in New York in 1848 therefore they emigrated some time between 1844 and 1848. As far as I know the family were shoe/boot makers.

Maybe it is not possible but I am trying to find living relatives of this family in Ireland.

I have been unable to find them in the 1901 census - anyone out there able to find them on the census? - or find the death record for John or Kitty - or a more specific address than just Killaloe.
Did John have siblings that remained in Ireland?
Any help is appreciated.

Polycarp

Re: Barton - Killaloe

Post by Polycarp » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi Jim

Sean Kierse, the expert on Killaloe, in his book Land And People Of Killaloe Parish, page 85, traces a Mrs Barton in Knockaderreen townland, parish of O'Briensbridge, as per the 1824 Tithes records. Mrs Barton had eleven acres, according to Mr Kierse, in the 1824 tithes. In an 1842 rental of the Estate of Thomas Arthur, MS 5486, NLI, cited by Mr Kierse (page 87), the representatives of John Barton are on the Knockaderreen Arthur tenancy, at a yearly rent of £45 10 shillings and 2 pence. However, the Barton surname is not returned in Knockaderreen, still Arthur land, in the 1852 valuations.

O'Briensbridge and Killaloe were historically linked parishes, indeed often considered one parish

There are Bartons returned in Killaloe in the 1852 valuations in Shantraud and in Knockyclovaun, Killaloe parish.

A Thomas Barton worked as a resident engineer for the Shannon Commissioners in November 1841, as the Commissioners undertook Shannon River navigation works. He is mentioned in the published guide to the Archives of the Office of Public Works.

Polycarp

jimvaughan

Re: Barton - Killaloe

Post by jimvaughan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi Polycarp,
thank you for your reply. I knew about the mention of Bartons in the book but one of the problems I have is that I cannot link the family that I am researching with those mentioned in the book. My instinct is that there is no link - I am inclined to believe that my Bartons were town dwellers rather that owning or renting land. Is anyone able to find siblings of John - who I might be able to get more detail on.
Maybe someone can point me in the direction of the death certificate of John's father?