Help Interpreting Registry of Deeds Entry, Please

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

s1nead

Help Interpreting Registry of Deeds Entry, Please

Post by s1nead » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi!

I found this entry for my great grandfather in the Registry of Deeds but I have no idea how to interpret it.

Can you help me?

His entry is marked with the orange stars...... it is dated 24 August 1895 & he had died in September 1894.

Do the initials "WD" have something to do with "widow"?

What does the addition of that address mean?

He was a solicitor, not a law clerk........ could 54 Mountjoy Square be his business address?

What is the significance of this entry? What does it mean?

I feel so dumb right now ~

Thanks AGAIN!
Susan
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (175.58 KiB) Viewed 6727 times

smcarberry

Re: Help Interpreting Registry of Deeds Entry, Please

Post by smcarberry » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Using the instructions to transcribers on how submit a deed abstract for inclusion in the project, I see that "WD" refers to a witness to the deed. This means that O'Reilly was present in his professional capacity only, not as a party involved in the transaction. The address listed for him is likely his office.

Since this O'Reilly was a law clerk and your ancestor died prior to this transaction, there seems to be a mere coincidence that this law clerk has the same name as your ancestor. It happens. My great grandfather shared his name with another man of similar age, who lived in the same city in the late 1800s through early 1900s. The other man resorted to being known by initials for his first, middle, and confirmation names.

There are no stars of any color that I saw when I viewed this abstract online. Transcriber instructions make no reference to such things, so it is likely a software feature of your own browser, not part of the deed project.

S. Carberry

s1nead

Re: Help Interpreting Registry of Deeds Entry, Please

Post by s1nead » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:14 pm

Awwwwww

Got it!

That is what I needed to know!!

Where did you find those instructions?

They seem pretty straightforward ...... I searched for answers almost all day yesterday ....

Thanks so much!!!