Kilmacduane Parish registers - a cautionary note

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

murf

Kilmacduane Parish registers - a cautionary note

Post by murf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:14 am

When one peruses the Kilmacduane Parish registers one is struck by the neatly penned entries on standard pro forma. From what I can gather, this is due to the efforts of parish priest Fr. P. Ryan, who compiled a clean copy of the registers in 1927.
In the marriage register, tucked away at the end of 1858, Fr Ryan has inserted the following note:
CautionaryNote.png
CautionaryNote.png (136.31 KiB) Viewed 9607 times
I happened upon this whilst checking details of the family of Charles Callinan(1826-1903) and Catherine Murrihy(1838-1910). When looking for the marriage of this couple I found the following entry:
CharlesMarriage.png
CharlesMarriage.png (143.41 KiB) Viewed 9607 times
I had missed this entry on earlier excursions through the register probably because I didn't recognise the latin version of Charles. The maiden name of the bride had me puzzled, and my immediate thought was that perhaps either partner had a second marriage with an early bereavement. But having regard to Fr. Ryan's note, and with the lack of any supporting evidence to the contrary, I am led to conclude that the bride's maiden name is based on spurious information, and that it should in fact be Catherine Murrihy.
The point to this is that researchers should be mindful of Fr Ryan's note on entries prior to 1859.