Thomas Sexton & Susannah Anglim

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Annie

Thomas Sexton & Susannah Anglim

Post by Annie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:26 am

Hi There...hoping anyone out there can help me.

My GGG Grandparents were Thomas Sexton & Susannah Anglim, born probably about the 1830s. Their daughter Honor /Annie born about 1848 & from Mullagh, came to Australia on board the " Sir Robert Sale ", arriving Dec 1867 when she was 19. Other than that I have no info on her parents or any siblings she may have had. She married a John James Moore.

I have looked at the 1851 Census & there is a Thomas Sexton who states his mother as Margaret/Matilda/Johannah/Joney ANGLINN...???? Maybe a brother of Honor??? Also have been in touch with Teresa & she has sent me the 1901 Census that has Anglims in it.

Maybe these names will jog somebody elses memory. Fingers crossed. Will be grateful for any info that is out there.

Cheers, Annie

miriam scahill

Re: Thomas Sexton & Susannah Anglim

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:32 am

Hello Annie - the area of Mullagh is in the parish of Kilmurray-Ibricken - so to see documents on this parish go to www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - and at bottom right of page you will find Research Support - open Civil Parish Index and then select the name of the Parish. You could also select the parish of Kilmihil (next to it) - as I think there are Anglims in this area also. On the same page you should also look at Census of 1901 showing 'Census by surname' - you have to make allowances for diff. spelling. The Baptismal Records for these Parishes are on micro film - you could send an e mail to mailbox@clarelibrary.ie and they will give you details of ref. no.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:53 pm

I was recently given some marriage records from kilmurry-Ibrickane by a friend and fellow researcher. Here are some marriage records that may assist you in some way:

1. John Sexton of Clonadrum townland was a witness to an 1839 marriage of Mary Sexton (likely his daughter) to Patrick O'Brien of Ballylongford, Kerry.

2. Peter Sexton was a witness to a February 14, 1844 marriage of Catherine Sexton (likely his daughter) of Moyglass, to Michael O'Brien.

3. Charles and John Anglim were witnesses to a February 3, 1845 marriage of Martin Sexton and Mary O'Brien.

4. John Sexton of Clonadrum married hannah O'Brien of Cragaknock on April 12, 1856.

5. James Sexton and Winny Anglim were witnesses to a May 7, 1856 marriage of Sinon O'Brien and Bridget McNamara of Cloghauninchy.

6. Peter Sexton witnessed the marriage of Martin McCarthy of Clonadrum, and Mary O'Brien of Cloghauninchy, on February 4, 1857.

7. Thady Sexton witnessed the marriage of Joseph O'Brien of Mullagh and Julia McGuiness, on February 5, 1870.

8. Patrick Sexton witnessed the marriage of James O'Brien and Margaret Considine on February 13, 1886.

9. Michael O'Brien married Bridget Sexton of Knockanalban on February 10, 1891.

In neighboring Kilmaley Parish, Patrick Anglim married Bridget Frawley on February 6, 1631. Being that the Anglim name is not commonly found in Kilmaley and marriages usually took place in the brides parish, it is likely that Patrick could be from Kilmurry-Ibrickane Parish.

John

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:14 am

Is there a typo in that last Anglim-Frawley marriage date? I don't think we have any surviving seventeenth century marriage records in Clare!

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:01 am

Good catch! It should be 1831. What's a few hundred years between friends!

Annie

Post by Annie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:37 am

Ha ha...thanks guys!

Since posting my original request, I have come across in the NSW Australia Assisted Immigrants List, that Honor's Mother's name is listed as Johanna....so maybe a typo on Honor's Marriage Certificate & it wasn't Susannah at all.It states that Thomas & Johanna are living at Mullagh....but I do understand there are many different parishes there. It also says that Honor Sexton & Margaret Anglim's ( her parents being stated as Thomas & Honor living at Kilmihill ) relative in the colony was their cousin Mary Learhinan.....also on the same boat was a Darby Learhinan. Now I know that the Learhinan name comes up as being the owner of a property that a Margaret Anglim lives in, in the 1851 Census!
This Mary Learhinan also sponsered Kate Learhinan, Thomas & Michael Anglim in 1879 ( all from Kilmihill ), Thomas & Maria Cunningham in 1879 & a John O'Brien.
Confusion...are these people all related!
And I'm no further in discovering Honor's siblings....except maybe a Thomas from the 1851 Census.
Thanks John for taking the trouble of giving me all those names...a bit more digging to do yet!
Thanks Miriam...I will email the Library as well...you never know.

Cheers, Annie
:?

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:00 am

Check the Kilmihil parish registers at
http://kilmihil.com/?page_id=17

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:04 am

I think the Irish name Siobhán can be anglicised as either Johanna/Joan/etc or Susan/Susannah/etc so the same person can appear from different English-language records to have two very different English names.

Annie

Post by Annie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:30 am

Thanks for the link to that site! It's pretty much confirming there is a connection btw the Sextons/Anglims & Learhinans. Now it's time to try & find my Honor's siblings....very grateful for all your help.

Annie

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi Annie - there is great info on the Kilmihil Parish website !! - Plenty of marriages between the Anglims and the Lernihans. As I said in prev. posting you must allow for mis-spellings - Learn..... and Lehrni etc. but all the one name. Bapt. Register is great. Re Sexton family - you could write to the Parish Secretary, St. Mary's Church, Mullagh, Ennis, Co. Clare to see if there is a bapt. record for Sextons around that time. Also check out the parish of Kilmurray-ibracken - I see a blog by Kevin O Brien re area of Knockanalban - again lots of info.
Hope you are successful.

Annie

Post by Annie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:34 am

Thanks Miriam....Had a quick look at Kevin's Site.....think I am going to need a long rainy arvo to go through it all! So it looks like maybe I can add O'Briens to the circle as well........the more the merrier!

Cheers, Annie

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi Annie,
I've been going through the Kilmurry Ibrickane Church registers on microfilm and thought your names rang a bell so I checked today when I went back to the microfilm. I found these -

Marriages
January 8, 1846 Thomas Sexton and Jane Anglim. Witnesses John Halloran (?) and Darby Anglim. (I cannot make out Thomas Sexton's address - I'll try again next time)

January 14, 1846 John Sheehan and Winifred Anglim. Witnesses Cornelius Morrissey (?) and Andrew Anglim. (I've no address in my notes so that will need to be checked too)

Births
January 24, 1847 Honora Sexton. Parents Thomas Sexton and Joanna Anglim. Address M + inkblot! Witnesses (check next time)
July 15, 1849 Thomas Sexton. Parents Thomas Sexton and Johanna Anglim, Mountscot. Witnesses Pat Looney and Nancy Egan

Mountscot is close to Mullagh, though I can't see it on the townlands list on Clare Library.
I'll look for more siblings and check the details above next week hopefully

Lucille

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:07 am

That is a great bit of info for Annie. It is possibly that Mount Scott is shown as Knockanalban - Knock 'cnoc' in Irish means a little hill or 'mount' an is 'of' and Alban is 'Scotland' - thus MOUNT SCOTT. Plenty of Looneys there - now called O Looneys !! Some are mentioned in Kevin O Brien's blog.

Annie

Post by Annie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:47 am

Wow....Lucille.....I am so excited! That is just great! Thankyou so much. I was pretty much sure that one of her siblings was a Thomas....from the Census...but to get actual dates & confirmed names is wonderful. If you can find out anything else it will be greatly appreciated.
What would be the best way of obtaining the documents? If I get the reference no.who would I contact then to get a copy?
Looking forward to hearing back from you

Annie :D

And Miriam......the Looneys?????

Thanks Guys

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi Annie,
I'm not sure if you can get the microfilms printed in the National Library where I was working - I'll check next week when I'm in. I'm fairly sure they don't provide a service to post out documents. I'll check it out next week when I am in again, and who knows, there might be more siblings too!

If you can wait a few years these records should be online!! There is an official Irish government website www.irishgenealogy.ie where the church records for Dublin, Carlow, Kerry and parts of Cork have been scanned and digitised - all for free. It's brilliant if your ancestors came from there. They are working on Monaghan now. Maybe they'll reach Clare this century!

Miriam - I'm kicking myself. Having taught Irish in primary school for 25 years I should have made the Mounscot/Knockanalaban connection!

Lucille