O'Hehir/Hehir

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kbarlow

O'Hehir/Hehir

Post by kbarlow » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:23 am

Hi Margaret - yes there were numerous errors in the field "name of father". My 5xg grandfather was a Stephen Hehir, transported to NSW 1831. I believe he had brothers Bartholomew and (poss) Michael. They were from townland of Commons South. Some connected families are Kierce, Griffy, Mullins, Doolan, Hynes, Reddan (in Clare) and Donnellan and numerous others (in Aus). Where did your John Hehir come from?

Kerry

Post subject: Re: Indexed Catholic Parish Records (http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6757)
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi Kerry
Our John came from Lack, Ballynacally and is buried in the Kilchreest Cemetery under Heher.
I have a "bit" on Stephen but you seem to have more than I have. I have always been interested in Matthias Hehir, who maybe his brother. Matthias was sentenced on the same day and transported on the "Asia" as well. My info is not in a format to post here so could we exchange information by email? My email is margoheir@iinet.net.au

Hi Margaret - I have copy/pasted our thread re Hehir into a new thread, to make it easier to do searches later re Hehir families. The Matthias you note as on the same ship as Stephen is not related, as a newspaper report of the time places him as living some distance away from Corrofin. If I can find that original report I will send to you. There was a Matthias who settled near Wagga, NSW, whom I believe could be that person.

Kerry

margaretoheir

Re: O'Hehir/Hehir

Post by margaretoheir » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:37 am

That is a good idea, Kerry, posting to a new thread. I am new to this so I will probably muck up. Yes, Matthias Hehir was from the Yass/Wagga area. I think I have his parents names correct as Matthias & Sarah (maybe McNamara) or the mother may be Catherine Hayes. I will have to do further research on that. I understand that your Stephen's wife was Anne Kierce (is that correct?). Do you have Stephen's parents names?
Regards, Margaret

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:39 am

Hi Margaret - Stephen was born about 1795, according to his convict conduct record. His wife was Anne Kierce, gleaned from 3 baptism records found in Rath/Kilnaboy Parish. Matthias born abt 1797, convicted of a white boy "crime". I cannot find evidence of births to him about the same time as Stephen's children in same Parish (although possible I missed those too difficult to read). There are a lot of Hehirs in the vicinity of Inichiquin Lough, given that area was the remaining "stronghold" of the O'Hehir clan after the Cromwellian "settlement". Where did your migrant ancestors from Clare settle in Oz? I have found several O'Hehirs in Ballarat near the Kierces, but am yet to prove a direct link to Stephen & Bartholomew (his brother).

I will post any more info that I find.

Cheers, Kerry

margaretoheir

Post by margaretoheir » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:28 am

Thanks Kerry, I had all that but thought you may have had the names of the parents for Stephen Hehir. This is some of what I have found about Matthias:
Clare Journal, 9 June 1831 which summarises the final day's proceedings of the Special Commission.
John Meskill, Mat. Hehir, Martin Phillips, Pat. Rowan, James Hehir, and Denis Grady, who were indicted for assaulting Francis Kennedy, and taking firearms from him, and also for taking a pistol from Rickard Kennedy and another from George Woods, on the 8th of May, pleaded Guilty.
The Attorney-General applied for the instant judgement of the Court, when they were sentenced to be transported for life....."

"Clondegad Bridge was the venue for a skirmish in 1831 between the military and some locals. This led to the murder of Sergeant James Robinson and the hanging of Murty Donnelly near the bridge of Ballycorick and the execution of Micheal Kelly in front of the then New Gaol in Ennis. The following nine locals were transported to Australia for their part in the trouble: John Mescal, Matt Hehir, Martin Phillips, Pat Rohan, James Hehir, Denis Grady, John Kelly, John Brown and Tom Canny."

Mathew aka Mathias Prisoner No 31/1980
RC, 34 years, married 2M 2F from Clare, Labourer, robbery with arms, life, 5ft 5ins, ruddy freckled complexion, brown hair, light hazel eyes, tried at Ennis 2 Jun 1831 for robbery with fire arms, sentenced to life,
blind of right eye, at Estate of Thomas Campbell per TE Manning, arrived Asia 2 Dec 1831, TL 40/108 20Jan1840 approved Sep1839 at Yass, CP Jun1846.

Matthias Hehir died 9Nov1868 and his d-I-l gave his parents names as Matthias & Sarah. At least one of his sons, James (1816-1908), came to NSW in 1848 with his wife Mary nee Kenny and son Matthias Hehir born on voyage. Mary died 1854 and James then married Anne McGrath in 1857.

Our Patrick & John Hehir, sons of Patrick & Mary Kean settled at Braidwood, NSW. Both are buried in the Braidwood Cemetery.

Do you have a death date and place for Stephen Hehir?

Thanks again, Margaret

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:42 am

Thanks for all this detail Margaret, some of which I had for Matthias, having purchased his death cert (I can send a scanned copy if you do not have it). His daughter-in-law (informant) states his parents as Matthias and mother as Sarah Gourmahal. I must admit "Gourmahal" throws me, as I cannot think of any Clare surname that may "fit the bill"!! Others on the Forum may be able to assist.

Whilst Stephen was not sentenced as a "white boy", as Matthias had been, his trial under the Special Commission for a "crime" related to some of the "outrages" heard by the Commission leads me to believe he was associated with "white boy" activity. He may have known Matthias or even been related to him.

I do not know Stephen's parent's names, as cannot find any record of his death. Some trees on Ancestry wrongly assume the death of a Stephen O'Hehir registered in Sydney in 1867 is his, but it is the death of a child. I have located Stephen in Maitland until about 1859 (he served a short gaol sentence). I cannot find any evidence he knew his family were in Tassie.

cheers, Kerry

margaretoheir

Post by margaretoheir » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:53 am

Would you believe it-I have ordered the transcript for the death of Matthias and I am waiting for it to arrive. Is your certificate a transcript or the original photo-copy? Yes, please send me a copy so I do not have to wait. I will email Marilyn and see if I can have the order changed to getting the original so I can see if I can interpret the name. I wonder if it is meant to be Gorman. Many years ago, a friend of mine in the NSW BDM looked it up and just told me verbally that Matthias' mother's name looked like McNamara but she was terribly unsure. What a shame you are not able to find Stephen's death. I have not been able to find it either and have noticed the wrongly entered death date on Ancestry. He is the son of Michael Hehir & Mary Cullinan, born 1864. I actually sent messages to these people but was ignored so I do not enlighten them anymore.

I would be glad if you could send me what you have for Stephen & Bartholmew so I can sort out the names I have on my data-base. The information I have for Stephen, Bartholmew and Matthias is so mixed up and I would like to have it sorted. I have been extracting all the Hehir names from the NLI parish registers. I have not completed that yet as it is very time consuming.

Does Bartholmew Hehir who married Bridget Doolan come into your family? So far, I have 6 children to them baptized in the parish of Kilnaboy and residing at the Commons.
Regards, Margaret

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:28 am

Hi Margaret - I have a transcript, which I will send to your email address. I have worked out that Stephen & Bartholomew were brothers from Bridget & Bartholomew (jun) Hehir's convict indents and the report of Bartholomew (jun)'s sentence as reported in a Clare newspaper. I have only found a few of Bartholomew & Bridget Doolan's children, so would love to have all those details. I found the NLI records for that Parish very hard to read! It was a handwritten note posted on Ancestry about Bridget Hehir (married Archer in Tas) that confirmed my guess that she was Stephen & Anne (nee Kierce)'s niece.

Kerry