Master Hugh Brady of Ruan National School, b.ca.1844, d.1918

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Dublinwoods

Re: Master Hugh Brady of Ruan National School, b.ca.1844, d.

Post by Dublinwoods » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Thank you. I have the copy of a letter from a member of the Brady family in Paradise, dated 1957, which connects Katherine Guinane to Edward Brady, Master Hugh's brother (or step- brother?) and the O'Hehir's. It is from a combination of the 1901, 1911 and Kilchreest gravestone (Sec. D) data that I have been able to ascertain that the Paradise Bradys consist of Master Hugh, Edward Brady and Ellen Brady who married James Hehir (grandparents of the famous Irish sports commentator, Michael James O'Hehir). The fact that the Master's father was Hugh is based on the valuation information available. This has been confirmed by a family member. The reason for my cryptic remark about Hugh as a step-brother is that my proof involves Katherine as Edward's mother. Master Hugh was several years older than both Edward and Ellen. It also appears that Hugh O'Hehir and James O'Hehir trained for the civil service examination under Master Hugh in Ruan during the late 1890's early 1900's. So as not to become lost in minutia, I reiterate the original posts contention that Master Hugh had a tremendous effect on many young Irish Clare souls. I come from America, where many minorities have succeeded ( including the Irish) through civil service opportunities. It is people like Master Hugh who primed County Clare and the Irish for the nation it was to become. That self- sacrifice should not be forgotten.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:00 am

I know a little bit about the Bradys of Raheen the person who would know and who has written a book on the area is Ger Madden. There are Brady trees in is book. I am just interested because they married a little into my family.
The thing that might confuse is that there are many Hugh Bradys.
The Bradys of Raheen manor were protestant and Rev Thomas Browne Brady was the son of Captain Henry Brady. The Bradys presumably did convert at some point as did everyone who became protestant but it was a good but earlier than Rev Thomas Browne Brady who was born into a protestant family.
He had a brother John and a sister Mary. I doubt it is the same family as Master Hugh Brady who seems to have been a wonderful man.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:35 am

Bob
Are the australian Brady descendants who are Catholic Sampson ? Mary Brady who married Francis C Sampson. She was an heiress. Ger Madden is the expert on this family. The Sampsons were Catholic. I have Rochester cousins of Sampson descent. Their Rochester descendants had Eleanor Sampsons in their family names up to this generation.
Margaret

Dublinwoods

Post by Dublinwoods » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Margaret: The Bradys of Paradise Hill appear in the Griffith's valuation of the 1850's at that site, but do not appear in the 1825 Clare applotments. It seems that Hugh Sr was the first to have land in that area. Now, I know that the Ruan Master was Catholic because he was instrumental in the vocation of Archbishop Joseph Clune of Perth. At one point, Joseph was to return to his father and become a "grocers curate". Hugh Brady was determined to see the boy become a "real curate" eastclareheritage.com/we-content/.../Sliabh-Aughty-Vol-2-pgs.-1-8.pdf ;also, Hugh's funeral at Ballycorick was a High Requiem Mass attended by many of the clergy. I Also know that Ellen and Edward were Catholic. Katherine Guinane, married to Hugh Sr was "probably" Catholic since her two sisters who married the Latchford cousins were Catholic. How far back this Catholicity goes, I do not know since the record drops off before 1850 for the Paradise Bradys. Apparently, a number of tenants with farms, including the Latchfords, moved out of the area between 1830-1850. It is difficult to ascertain if there is a connection to the Sampsons. Thank you for the info. Bob
Last edited by Dublinwoods on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Mary Brady who married a Dr Francis Cornelius Sampson was from the Protestant family and was a cousin of the vicar mentioned earlier

Dublinwoods

Post by Dublinwoods » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:12 am

In researching the Brady family further, I have discovered that John Beauchamp Brady purchased property in Kilchreest and Kildysart in the 1840's, from the Clive estates. Could this be the Paradise Hill region where Hugh Brady's family lived? John Beauchamp Brady was the son of Henry Brady and Sarah Pearson. He had a brother named Hugh and sisters named Jane and Eliza. Perhaps brother Hugh is the father of the Master of Ruan, Hugh Brady. Any more information about Henry Brady and his family would be appreciated. Thanks. Bob.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 am

I am not trying to get too deeply into this topic at this time, but these resources can be consulted to further research the early time periods mentioned in this thread:

Rosemary ffolliott's "Index to biographical notices in the newspapers of Limerick, Ennis, Clonmel and Waterford, 1758 - 1821"
at the Local Studies Centre, Clare County Library

Registry of Deeds (Dublin) - index online by volunteer effort
http://members.pcug.org.au/~nickred/dee ... index.html
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... _index.htm

Lenihan's History... (screenshot)
http://tinyurl.com/n2cu3rr
Lenihan's History, on Brady.jpg
Lenihan's History, on Brady.jpg (86.99 KiB) Viewed 37359 times

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Here's a communication of 1836 published in the 1837 volume of an British periodical oriented to education. I don't have any background on the involved teacher, Thady Brady, nor even the location of his school, which he states is in Killmagranny, Clare, but he may have been a forerunner in the national school system to the later educator Hugh Brady. The tone of his communication indicates that he is Catholic and making certain that the British authorities know that he is being careful to handle the schooling of his Protestant pupils. Here is the link, which should take you to p. 306 (ignore any reference to Hugh Carberry, the research target which brought me to this publication):

http://books.google.com/books?id=CoFPAA ... re&f=false

posted by Sharon Carberry

Dublinwoods

Post by Dublinwoods » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:41 pm

I read the "memorial of Thady Brady" and I could not but chuckle as I read it. It reminded me of what happens at the "Texas Board of Education" textbook review in the United States every year. Leave it to an Irishman like Thady to accurately emote what it feels like to be "in a pickle". Something tells me that our Hugh Brady would have been less conciliatory in his approach. Thank you for presenting the piece, I'll have a smile in my heart all day. Bob Brett.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi I just noticed H Brady N. T. Ruan as a mourner at my gt grand uncles funeral (George Taaffe of erinagh)

Death of Mr. George Taaffe,
Dromcavin, Corofin.

We regret to record the death of the above-named which gentleman which took place after a long and tedious illness. Deceased was a member of the ancient Erinagh family. In social circles esteemed for his genial, yet unostentatious disposition. The regret felt of his passing away is very marked, specially by those who shared his friendship for many years of his boyhood. The interment took place on Thursday from the Cathedral, Ennis, for the family vault in Ruan burial grounds and was of large denominations.

Amongst those present were:- Mesers Doolea, Gort, father-in-law; D. Gallery, Ballybeg, John Hehir, brothers-in-law; P. Kelly, Ralph Cullinan, Millstreet, John Kerin, senr, Joe Kerin, E. Kerin, F. Kerin, J. Kerin, junr, cousins.

Amongst the general public were: - Mesers Matt O’Dea, Jail st., P. Moylan, do, M.S. Honan, U.C.,do; D. Roughan, U.C., Church st.; T. O’Loughlin, Master Ennis Workhouse; J Hinchy, do; J Ahern, U.C., Isaac Harwood, U.C. Phoenix Brewery; S Clancy, Church st; W O’Meehan, do; P Byrne, do; T Hunt, N.T., Corofin; H Brady, N.T., Ruan; C McInerney, Market st; Thos McMahon, Jail st.; P Lawlor, do; H Bowe, J O’Keeffe, O’Connell Square; M Kilmartin, Chapel Lane; Andrew Burke, J Spellissy, Upper Jail st.; P McGuane, Ballycoree; J Hannon, do; J Power, Lifford; J Morrissey, Ballybeg; M. Morrissey, do; Matthew Griffey, Market st; P. Connolly, do; W O’Grady, do; P Kerin, Barefield; J Duggan, Mill st.; Jeremiah Kelly, Ruan; Daniel McPartland, Mill st.; Wm Crowe, J Barrett, Upper Jail street; J O’Moloney, do; D Hogan, Market street; M J O’Brien, C J Hassett; J Hanrahan, do; P Roughan, Church street; A R Molony, do; D Clohessy, Lifford; T Wall, New Road; - Marrinan, Inagh; J. Moran, Barefield; M Hayes, Kilkee, J Hayes, do; J Mack, do; P Casey, do; M Cleary, Ruan; M O’Brien, Rathkeane; J Pyne, Ruan; J Hayes, J Mulvihill, Corofin; P Flanagan, do; Austin Hayes, Kilnaboy; P Enako, M Cullene, Lifford; Connor Fox, J Cusack, Murty Hayes, Kilkee; M Bourke, Ennis; J Greene, do; John Crowe, do; R.C., Ruan; M Daly, Ballynacallly; J Hehir, Ballycorick; P Morony, Military Road; J Clune, Ruan; J Griffey, do; P Meany, Ruan; P Purcell, I.R., London; D McGann, Ruan; P Flynn, Ballymaley; M Healy, Ruan; M McCaw, N.T., Inagh, etc.

Dublinwoods

Post by Dublinwoods » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:36 pm

Thank you for sharing the obituary of George Taaffe. Do you have a date of the obituary? It certainly appears to be Master Hugh. There were a number of mourners from Ruan. Did George have any relationship with the Ruan National School? A brother-in-law and another mourner were of the Hehir family, one of whom came from Ballycorick. They may be of interest to the family line of H Brady. Much appreciated. Bob Brett.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 pm

Helena Taaffe my gt gt aunt married John Hehir of Ballycorick hence the Hehir connection. I assume George Taaffe went to school in Ruan as he grew up there (Erinagh) but I dont know. My gt grandmother was Minnie Taaffe his sister who married David Gallery mentioned as a mourner. George and Minnie's father was Martin Taaffe of Erinagh and Drumcavin

George Taaffe died in 1899 this is his obit from the Clare man kindly given to me by John Cleary who is I think Hehir of Ballycorick descent. I should have asked him before I put it up

The Kerins mentioned are Taaffe cousins

Dublinwoods

Post by Dublinwoods » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks, 1899 seems like it would be Master Hugh. I think there is already a number of Hehir and related obituaries in the County Clare Library Forum. The Hehir's I am referring to are uncles of the Gaelic football broadcaster Michael...they reverted their name to O'Hehir and Hugh's sister Ellen married James Hehir (O'Hehir).

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:03 am

We may be at cross purposes here. The Hehirs who were mourners were originally from Ballycorick. I dont know if they were the same family or not but they married into the Taaffes. I have not seen them use O'Hehir but maybe some do
The are the Hehirs buried with the Taaffes in Ruan graveyard

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat May 09, 2015 2:10 am

Hugh Brady's promotion in 1904 even made it into a New York City newspaper!

From the Irish World newspaper of 12 March 1904 (cut & paste promotion from page 9 to the front page):
Attachments
Hugh Brady Promotion Irish World newspaper 12 Mar 1904.jpg
Hugh Brady Promotion Irish World newspaper 12 Mar 1904.jpg (85.44 KiB) Viewed 34423 times