Parish Records - Transcribers Register

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Parish Records - Transcribers Register

Post by Sduddy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:46 am

Hi Murf

It seems there are two kinds of quota and the one I exceeded was the attachment quota. Once I deleted an old attachment I was able to post a new one. You may have noticed that Jimbo, in his reply to Robin522 on Fri. Nov. 03 on topic http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6916 , could not add an attachment because the site quota was full.
So I have just deleted all my “Residence” attachments. I figured that they were the most dispensable. Probably they were taking up an inordinate amount of space.

Yes, I think it’s a good idea to bring the transcriptions together, but first I need to go back and do a bit of work on the Notes column of a couple of my early transcriptions – I put page numbers and notes in the same column when I should have made a separate column for each.
I would like if my sorting into father’s name and mothers’ name could be kept somehow – I just love the way the data “gels” at the flick of a button and makes the variations in names obvious. For instance, it becomes clear that Salinger is St. Leger, and that Singen is St. John. I know you can do search of a name, but that would not capture all of the variations quite so successfully. So I wonder if the individual postings can remain, while also being consolidated?

I’ve completed the Scarriff baptisms, by the way.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:50 am

Perhaps we need some further clarification from Clare Admin on the quota(s) so that we know exactly where we stand on this.
As for the alphabetical listings, I totally agree that they are a great enhancement to the usefulness of the data sets, and you have clearly demonstrated this.
It's just that we have generated an awful lot of files, and a consolidated County listing may need some trimming. The beauty of the digital format is that once the original spreadsheet is downloaded, it is a fairly simple matter for the user to manipulate it into any shape he or she desires.
But later we can do a stocktaking on the number we have.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Murf

I've completed Crusheen and am now well into Kilmanaheen. I hope to have Kilmanaheen ready quite soon.

Research Supports on the clarelibrary genealogy page provides information on Inchicronan Parish (also called Crusheen) and includes an external link to a much larger transcription of the Crusheen baptisms which goes right up to 1909, but this link has not operated for some years now

I've also edited Rath and Kilnaboy (my first transcription) and inserted columns for the (online) page number - in order to encourage people to look at the original - plus entry numbers. It's lucky I did this, because it led to my discovering that I had omitted page 33, left-hand side, in it's entirety. I've amended that and put the names in red, so that what I had omitted will be obvious.

I need to look at Kilfenora and Kiltoracht and a couple of others as well.

Sheila

mick o

Post by mick o » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm

shelia,
many thanks for transcribing the kilmanaheen registers,
regards mick oloughlin

murf

Post by murf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks for that Sheila, I've updated the register.
Kildysart is progressing slowly, but I haven't yet reached the real sticky part.

Murf

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:27 pm

murf wrote:...But later we can do a stocktaking on the number we have.
Hi Murf,

Do you have a rough idea of the total number of mbytes of transcription data that are currently on this forum ?

Paddy

murf

Post by murf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 am

Hi Paddy
The quick answer to that is no, but I can do some sums and get back to you, may take a few hours cos I have to go somewhere first.
Cheers
Murf

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:43 am

Thanks, Murf. Just a rough idea, i.e. to within +/- 100mb.

Paddy

murf

Post by murf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am

Well here we go Paddy,
According to my calculations, since we kicked off the Transcribers Register in March 2016 we have uploaded approx 29.5MB of files.
Now I separate these into two parts:
10.8MB of raw transcripts, i.e. direct translations of the microfilmed registers, and
18.7MB of what may be described as post-transcript enhancements, i.e. alphabetical listings of various sorts.

That's it in a nutshell
Murf

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Murf

I sympathise with you over Kildysert. The early Tulla baptisms nearly killed me – I wasn’t the same person at all afterwards. Every other parish seems easy now.
I’ve completed Kilmanaheen, the last of the Galway Diocese parishes. The Galway Diocese gave proper registers to their priests, but having a column each for date of birth and the date of baptism was just too much – both dates are so close together, I was in constant danger of baptising a child before s/he was born. I should have done as I did for Kilfenora and just plumped for the date of baptism.
Speaking of which, I have been back to Kilfenora-Kiltoraght and made a separate column for the notes – likewise Doora-Kilraghtis.
I have now started into the first set of Miltownmalbay baptisms. I was daunted by Miltownmalbay all along, but, now that I’m close up, I can see that it’s not so fearsome after all – I will have this first stage ready by mid-December, or so.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks Sheila
No doubt your Miltownmalbay production will create enormous interest.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:42 am

Hi Murf

I’ve completed Miltownmalbay and have now set into Newmarket-on-Fergus. And hope to have it ready for posting in the second half of January 2018.
Happy New Year.
Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:12 pm

Bravo Sheila
I will update the register

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi Murf
I’ve completed Newmarket-on-Fergus, which only goes to 1866, and I’m now dropping on the next cabbage leaf, Killone, and will be your neighbour for a while. I hope to have completed Killone by late February.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks for that Sheila
I look forward to browsing Killone when you have done that.
Kildysart is now virtually complete, just tying up loose ends, and there are a few.
When that is done and dusted I was thinking about moving on to Kilfiddane, because it was part of Kildysart prior to 1868.
murf