murf

Parish Records - Transcribers Register

Post by murf » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:28 am

T_RegisterNew.png
T_RegisterNew.png (12.91 KiB) Viewed 37388 times
LINKS TO COMPLETED TRANSCRIPTIONS

IMPORTANT
Data Source: Catholic Parish Registers at the NLI https://registers.nli.ie
The following transcriptions are made freely available on this forum in agreement with the terms of use for NonCopyright Material authorised by the NLI Licence. See https://registers.nli.ie/terms_of_use_en.pdf
In the interests of clarity some modifications may have been made to formatting, and transcriber notes added to the original digitised microfilm. However in all instances transcribers have endeavoured to remain true to the original content. Users of the transcriptions are advised to refer to the original microfilm for verification.
Parish names mostly follow the map at https://registers.nli.ie
Please refer to this map for name variants.

*** UPDATE ***
Transcription of the Parish records for all of the County Clare parishes is nearing completion.
The transcription files have now been transferred to the main Library website, and may be accessed via the Local Studies Centre page at:
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/librar ... ecords.htm

Other Links

Kilmihil http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=7069
Drumcliff https://www.ennisparish.com/genealogy/
Kilfenora http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... =kilfenora
Doora marriages: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... ges#p11468
Kilmaley marriages: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=7020

Donated Material: Births/Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ex_bmd.htm

NLI: Parish Registers on microfilm
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/

The primary aim of the register is to avoid the possibility of duplication - I shudder at the thought of some poor person spending endless hours transcribing some register, only to discover that somebody else had already done it! So the Transcribers Register will allow prospective transcribers to declare their intentions and inform all and sundry as to which parish records are "in the pipeline."

For prospective transcribers I recommend that marriage registers be tackled first. I say that for two reasons, (a) marriage registers tend to be easier because they are generally smaller and less complicated than baptism registers;
and (b) I see advantages for researchers because a transcribed marriage register will enable quick location of a couple of interest and provide a starting point for a search for their offspring in a baptism register yet to be transcribed, and also for transcribers for it may be helpful when interpreting difficult entries in the baptism register.

Intending transcribers are encouraged to advise details of their project in this forum thread. Their project will then be added to the list.
Last edited by murf on Fri May 22, 2020 1:17 am, edited 70 times in total.

M. McNamara

Re: Parish Records - Transcribers Register

Post by M. McNamara » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:43 am

Excellent idea Murf. FYI, I have transcribed the Sixmilebridge parish marriage register for 1829 to 1839. There are 365 marriages in total in the period. I need to view the hard copy here in Sixmilebridge to eliminate some of the doubtfuls before sending the transcription to the library.
As far as the Baptisms are concerned, I have completed years 1829 to 1832, these 4 years giving approx 650 entries. I intend to keep going until 1839.

murf

Post by murf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:28 am

Thanks for that
I will add your project to the list as soon as I work out what format it should take.
I know what you mean about doubtfuls. I have their number mounting up with the Clondagad/Kilchreest register. I was hoping that I may be able to reconcile some of them with the baptism register.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:49 am

Hi murf

If it looks like I can manage the format, I will take the Rath-Kilinaboy marriages. They are in Latin but the priest stops short of trying to render the townlands (Garrynafuinseoige etc.) in Latin. The later marriages records (1862 - 1880) are a genealogist's dream: they give both parents' names and the townland. Anyone searching the early Rath-Kilinaboy baptism records should look at these later marriage records as well. In my own case, the later records correct a mistake made in the baptismal records - the mother's name and the godmother's name had been confused by the priest. Who can blame him - he probably hadn't had his breakfast.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:36 am

Thanks Sheila, and good luck with that. You should be an accomplished Latin translator by the end of it.
I hope to have the register up and running shortly.

murf

Post by murf » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:00 am

Transcribers frequently come across names that are difficult if not downright impossible to interpret. In the case of post 1863 marriages most of these issues can be resolved by cross-matching with the civil marriage indexes.
As an illustration this example comes from the Clondagad/Kilchreest Marriage Register of 27 May 1877. The Bride's name, Susan Barry was quite legible and unambiguous. The groom was John something, and the best I could do was "Honoon" which didn't seem right.
On the LDS search page at https://familysearch.org/search/collect ... on/1927084 I inserted the bride's name Susan Barry.
I then clicked on Marriage and inserted:
Birthplace [killadysert] [tick] From [1877] To [1877]
Note that killadysert is the registration district and ticking the little box after it restricts the output to the Killadysert registration district for the year 1877.
Hitting the search button now returns only one marriage - of Susan Barry
We click on this and note the volume and page numbers - 9/155
Returning to the search page we now insert John for First Name and leave Last Name blank.
Click on Marriage in order to apply the same restrictions, then hit Search
This brings up 13 Johns married in the Killadysert Reg District in 1877.
Honan and Halloran are checked but have the wrong volume/page, but John Thomson is a match with 9/155.
Reference back to the microfilm confirms that this is a match.
Once one gets used to the method I find that this cross- checking process can be done quite quickly, and there is some satisfaction in resolving all those little doubts.

Murray Ginnane

CARRIGAHOLT Parish Records Transcribed :--

Post by Murray Ginnane » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:25 pm

I have produced lengthy transcriptions of the CARRIGAHOLT Catholic Marriages & Baptisms Registers covering 1852/3 to March 17th 1878, and on to 1881. The KILBALLYOWEN Civil Parish is mostly aligned with that CROSS Catholic Parish, which was separated off about Feb/March 1878 from the Carrigaholt Catholic Parish which roughly aligns with the MOYARTA Civil Parish. Two churches in each.
There are about 930 marriages & 4,000 baptisms.
Covering from Kilbaha & Moneen to Querrin & Doonaha & Moveen to Cross & Carrigaholt villages.

I started way back before 2009 for my own personal benefit, and the two files are in the original date order, in a WORD.docx format which allows keyword searches {Control/F} of the 4,000-odd pages.
I have tried to standardize the spelling to help WordSearch : Catherine, Patrick, Honora, Laurence etc.

I hoped to eventually format them into an EXCEL-type spreadsheet, but the files have had many extra local parish & general history notes added which some researchers may find useful to point them in good directions.
I am still improving & reworking the entries & grouping them into families with contact links to modern-day descendants.
The latest DRAFT versions are too big(1.7MB & 7.7MB) to upload here, which has a 1MB limit.
If anyone might find them a useful basis for study, we'll try to work something out?

I'm aware that on the Facebook "IGP's County Clare Ireland Genealogy Group" are some good people who have & are also completing transcriptions: Kilmaley is one such area.

Murray Michael GINNANE, Tauranga, New Zealand. MURRAY@GINNANE.CO.NZ

Murray Ginnane

Post by Murray Ginnane » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:54 am

ENNIS area (often known as St Senan's, but including sub-churches) is on www.EnnisParish.com/Genealogy = about 55,000 names total of Marriages after 1837 & Baptisms after March 27th 1841, but no Sponsors' or Witnesses' names, or townlands. Spellings are uncorrected, and raw EXCEL files are available.

murf

Post by murf » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:43 am

Hi Murray
Nice to hear about your progress with the Carrigaholt records. I have already seen your listing of the marriage register (1852-1878) on the library website, together with your copious notes. These provide a valuable resource.
For the benefit of other forum members the link is:
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... olt_rc.htm
It would be nice if we could get these and the baptisms into EXCEL format along similar lines to the excellent work by Sheila over recent months.
I shall contact you by email to see if I can assist.
Cheers, murf

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:30 am

Hi murf

I have begun transcription of Clonrush marriages and baptisms and expect to have completed the task by mid-October.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 pm

OK, got that thanks Sheila.
I shall add it to the list.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:44 am

Hi Murf

I've moved on now to Kilnoe parish and am flying along, so beautifully clear is the handwriting. This must be a transcription - though there's nothing to say so. The writing reminds me of the Vere Foster's headline copy-books that were still in use in the schools in Ireland in the first quarter of the 20th century - and maybe even later than that. The pupils copied "Least said, soonest mended" ten times, or more, but never minded it.
Anyway, this is light relief from the usual parish register - so I'm skimming over the water and expect to appear over the horizon in early November.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks Sheila, I have updated the register.
It beats me how you manage to chew thru these registers so quickly - you must work 24/7!
I'm still plodding along with Kildysart. I've completed the marriages and am getting close to completing the latter portion of the baptisms.
The earlier part of the baptisms may pose a challenge, for although it's a previous transcription and readable, it includes a number of pages that are undated and may be difficult if not downright impossible to place in correct sequence. Ah well we'll see.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:39 am

Hi Murf

I've posted Kilnoe - with some difficulty. I had to delete two attachments of mine, made in the past, in order to make enough attachment space - something I hadn't realised was limited. Did you have difficulty adding your Kildysert attachments (which are much appreciated by the way)?

I now have only one more attachment that I can throw overboard - before I have to start throwing out the transcriptions themselves. I wonder is there anything else I can do.

I am already started on Scarriff baptisms (the marriages have long-since been donated by Jim McNamara). I am flying along and expect to have them ready in a little over a week.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi Sheila
You should be aware that there is a 1MB limit to attachments to a single post. (refer to Admin message Posting images to the Forum above)
In the case of the Kilnoe files, they added up to just over 1MB. I can only suggest that you post one of the files separately.
Eventually I would like to see a consolidated listing of all the Parish transcriptions. At the moment they are scattered throughout the Past Forum archive.
I would anticipate that the list contain just the raw transcriptions ( ie by date as they appear in the original registers) and that they match the NLI microfilms.
But this may be something we can think about. It will require the sanction of Clare Library.
Regards
murf