Indexed Catholic Parish Records

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

murf

Indexed Catholic Parish Records

Post by murf » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:24 pm

Fully indexed Catholic parish records (birth, marriage death) are now available on the findmypast website at
http://search.findmypast.ie/search-worl ... h-baptisms
As an introductory offer free searches of the indexes can be undertaken up to 7 March.
Beats me how they managed to accomplish this, but a few searches seemed to indicate that the search facility works OK. Of course being well aware of the variable quality of the original records, there will always be limitations to how much any one search will turn up, but this certainly has the potential to save an awful lot of legwork.
I managed to locate an ancestor marriage in Tipperary which my previous best guess was four years in error. This led to a revised search for the baptisms of their two eldest children, which I eventually located in the microfilm record.

margaretoheir

Re: Indexed Catholic Parish Records

Post by margaretoheir » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:25 am

I spent hours on FMP for the free time and corrected hundreds of entries. I now think this is why they give us freebies. Most of the corrections were for Hehir names so you can imagine the number of errors in total.

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:44 am

I found several requiring correction as well, just from my couple of hours online. It does show the errors that can slip into indexing projects, especially when the work is not carried out by local historians who know the local place names, family names, common first names, etc. Margaret, I have Hehir relatives from near Corrofin, so if you found any relatives with corrections in Kilnaboy Parish, I would love to hear from you.

Kerry

margaretoheir

Post by margaretoheir » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:56 pm

One of the most glaring errors was e.g. "Thomas Brown of Thomas & Anne Smith" - the father was indexed as Thomas Smith instead of Brown. This was the case when this entry format was used.

I would love to hear from you Kerry. I have a one-name data-base of Hehir (etc). I am hoping that one day I will link up my John Hehir {1798-1844} married Mary Kean. What Hehir family are you interested in?

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:37 am

Hi Margaret - yes there were numerous errors in the field "name of father". My 5xg grandfather was a Stephen Hehir, transported to NSW 1831. I believe he had brothers Bartholomew and (poss) Michael. They were from townland of Commons South. Some connected families are Kierce, Griffy, Mullins, Doolan, Hynes, Reddan (in Clare) and Donnellan and numerous others (in Aus). Where did your John Hehir come from?

Kerry

margaretoheir

Post by margaretoheir » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:54 am

Hi Kerry
Our John came from Lack, Ballynacally and is buried in the Kilchreest Cemetery under Heher.
I have a "bit" on Stephen but you seem to have more than I have. I have always been interested in Matthias Hehir, who maybe his brother. Matthias was sentenced on the same day and transported on the "Asia" as well. My info is not in a format to post here so could we exchange information by email? My email is margoheir@iinet.net.au