Seeking info on Kerin's in Ennis | Mortimer Kerin b. 1794

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

VTKerin

Seeking info on Kerin's in Ennis | Mortimer Kerin b. 1794

Post by VTKerin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:00 pm

I am looking for some help tracking down some family records or further information. The information I do have is noted below:

Mortimer Kerin (1795-1876) and wife Mary Casey (1794 - 1879) married in 1821, left Ennis, County Clare, for America sometime in the 1850s (on the Jane Hayward I believe) -- with 9 of their 11 or 12 children. One of which was my Great Great Grandfather, Patrick Kerin (born March 1845)

I am unsure which of the children stayed behind in Ireland. I am hoping to find that out, as well as the names of any children/grandchildren/great grandchildren they may have had.

Also looking for any siblings of Mortimer Kerin or Mary Casey -- and their respective children/grandchildren/great grandchildren.

My family and I are visiting Ireland in May and would love the chance to meet some distant relatives, or at the very least be in contact with some. Any help or direction in doing this would be greatly appreciated.

murf

Re: Seeking info on Kerin's in Ennis | Mortimer Kerin b. 179

Post by murf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:07 am

It would be helpful to try and pin down a townland or parish for this family. There appears to be no matching entry in the Ennis parish records. Have you managed to track down a death certificate for Mortimer or Mary Casey Kerin? or perhaps a ship's manifest for their emigration. One of these records may mention a townland. There are two Murty Kerins in the tithe applotment index. These perhaps could be a starting point. If you can nail down their parish of origin then the parish records (now online) will be the obvious next step.
Do you know for sure that the two or three children that stayed behind in Ireland were still living at that time? Keep in mind that infant mortality was high during these times.
murf