Outdoor relief controversy, Ennistimon 1847

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Outdoor relief controversy, Ennistimon 1847

Post by smcarberry » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:18 pm

There is another string of postings on this general subject, for other Clare areas: posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=303

I stumbled on the Ennistimon area reports by an army officer named Gordon, amidst a then-ongoing controversy between the resident engineer (Millett) and the local top of the pecking order in the area's gentry, Major MacNamara, head of the relief committee. Parliamentary Papers, vol. 54, published in Feb 1847 hold several pages of correspondence and lists of "comfortable farmers and freeholders" (see list No. 7, below) receiving relief funds for themselves and as relief clerks meting out the money to their friends. I am aware that the brouhaha all over Clare involved methods and worthy recipients for varying purposes, with some descrying the need to lose one's house before getting any help. The focus of Capt. Gordon's concern was the truly destitute, and he wanted verifiable lack of means before receipt of even outdoor relief. He questioned allowing women to break stones in a quarry without proper authentication. Lists of residents were preserved, for better or worse in terms of their roles in the inefficient system.

The link to Parliamentary Papers vol. 54 is: http://tinyurl.com/j4rucbe

There are two more lists, for Kilmacrehy residents, that I will post separately in view of restrictions on attachments.

Sharon Carberry
Doc Index, on Millet's moves vs check clerks.jpg
Doc Index, on Millet's moves vs check clerks.jpg (59.44 KiB) Viewed 10985 times
Gordon on E'timon irregularities Jan 1847.jpg
Gordon on E'timon irregularities Jan 1847.jpg (64.84 KiB) Viewed 10985 times
Gordon's No.7 list, p.66.jpg
Gordon's No.7 list, p.66.jpg (49.17 KiB) Viewed 10985 times
Killilagh clerks Jan 1847, p.34.jpg
Killilagh clerks Jan 1847, p.34.jpg (44.95 KiB) Viewed 10985 times