RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills marriages 1835 to Apr 1881

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills marriages 1835 to Apr 1881

Post by smcarberry » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Online as of today, there are 1166 RC marriages in this parish, shown in chronological order and then grouped by surname of groom and also of bride. Legibility was good, so there are few question marks.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... rberry.htm

In contrast to the baptismal entries, this registry contains several placenames that are remote, such as West Clare, Galway, and Limerick, as grooms and witnesses traveled to the bride's parish for the ceremony. The amount of the donation, otherwise in the one to six pound range, shot up considerably in such instances, perhaps indicating that those brides were "marrying up" perhaps to those whom they had not known all their lives.

For my purposes, any new East Clare placenames were a great discovery, the best of which seems to be within a mile of where my Carberry family lived. There are two entries naming Red Bridge, which I have never seen in some 20 years of researching this area. The news items shown below contain clues, which with use of the 1842 Ordnance Survey map on the Library site, point to Woodfield Bridge over the Ahaclare River flowing into Doon Lake west of Broadford. That river was a traditional boundary for administrative units. If anyone has information to the contrary, please post it.

This wonderful resource is accessible through the generosity of the Library and the rapid effort of Maureen Comber to get it into its present configuration. We are so fortunate.

Enjoy,
Sharon Carberry
Red Bridge 1839.jpg
Red Bridge 1839.jpg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
Red bridge 1846, on Tulla road.jpg
Red bridge 1846, on Tulla road.jpg (84.66 KiB) Viewed 6643 times

scleyden

Re: RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills marriages 1835 to Apr 1

Post by scleyden » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi Sharon,
"Red Bridge", or Drehidderg, is on the Ballymacdonnell river north of Doon, marking the boundary between Killavoy (O'C Mills) and Claremount (Broadford).
It's still referred to as the Red Bridge locally. It is not Woodfield Bridge, which is SW of Doon.

1842 map shows it here as Drehidderg http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... 83137Z16F1*

Many thanks for your transcriptions of the parish records!
Regards,
Scleyden

smcarberry

Re: RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills marriages 1835 to Apr 1

Post by smcarberry » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Thanks very much for that valuable information. My hard-copy Discovery Series map is near ruined, and there is far too much territory to visually scan with the online Ordnance Survey map. I was just able to determine that this bridge was not east of Broadford, such as near Barbane which was last listed before Red Bridge in the one article. I was so hoping that someone would know more and post.

SMC