NAI online damage claims 1920s

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

NAI online damage claims 1920s

Post by smcarberry » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Newly described on Claire Santry's Irish Genealogy News blog:

"These files relate to claims for compensation for loss of or damage to property that occurred as a result of military action between July 1921 and March 1923. Claims were made under the Damage to Property (Compensation) Act, 1923.

The National Archives describes these files as recording 'the name and address of the claimant and the amount paid in compensation and also a brief narrative of the military action or incident that led to the loss of the property, along with an inventory of the property lost'..."
http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/#sthash.n05gQFrD.dpuf

There are 464 claims filed on Co. Clare property, which with my quick review appear to be mostly involving West Clare and Ennis property. The direct link is:
http://nai.adlibhosting.com/brief.aspx?gotopage=1

There are individuals such as farmers as well as agents for non-resident property owners, and a few commercial companies as well. Estate names are provided as well as townlands.

I am citing this news blog because it is an invaluable resource for Irish family historians, which I know is perused by other Clare genealogist and a daily read for the esteemed John Grenham. Ms. Santry is indefatigable in seeking out news and reporting it clearly and concisely.

Sharon Carberry

Polycarp

Re: NAI online damage claims 1920s

Post by Polycarp » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:54 pm

There are also distress and compensation claims held in the UK National Archives at Kew, those submitted to the Irish Distress Committee, later the Irish Grants Committee. This Committee looked at loss and damage sustained in Ireland for the period 11 July 1921 to 12 May 1923. The archive of the Committee's work is held in the Colonial Office collection (CO 762).

There are many Clare claims in the Kew collection, most being from West Clare, especially the Ennistymon area, but other parts of the County are also represented. Some of the individual claims submitted can be most informative for the family historian.

Polycarp