Patrick Mc Mahon of Leana Killinaboy

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

matthewmacnamara

Patrick Mc Mahon of Leana Killinaboy

Post by matthewmacnamara » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:29 pm

During period January to July 1905 the Limerick Leader published two folk tales in Irish
taken down by Patrick Mc Mahon of Leana, Killinaboy.
They are interesting as a source of Clare Irish, possibly as spoken in the Burren area.

Would anyone know anything about this collector and/ or his work?

Sduddy

Re: Patrick Mc Mahon of Leana Killinaboy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:29 am

Hi Matthew

I think you are interested in the life and work of Patrick, and I’m afraid I know nothing about that. But your post interested me in Patrick and I see that he died on 2nd Jul. 1914, aged only 47. I assumed at first that he was a descendant of the Patrick McMahon who was in Leana at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, and maybe he is, but I have decided that he was born in Kiltoraght: the baptism of Patrick McMahon on 31st May 1868 (parents: James McMahon and Mary McMahon, Emlagh) is recorded in the Kilfenora-Kiltoraght parish register. The children of James and Mary were born between 1854 and 1874, and the 1866 Special Census for Kilfenora and Kiltoraght lists some of them.
It looks like Patrick and his sister Bridget came to live in Leana when their sister Margaret married Thomas Carkill, Leana, abt. 1888. Thomas died in 1897, and Margaret married Martin McMahon from Drumoher, Killinaboy, in 1900.
Patrick’s mother, Mary McMahon, is still living in Knockroe, Kiltoraght, in 1911, aged 79 (I gather that “Emlagh” is a part of the townland of Knockroe). That census shows Patrick’s brother John in the farm there, married to Mary (O’Loughlin), and their child, James, so it’s possible that there are some descendants still in Knockroe.

I looked for marriages of Margaret’s children - both the Carkil/Carkel/Carkill and the McMahon children - and found that Mary Carkil married Michael Callinan, also from Leana, in 1924; a Bridget McMahon married John Dillon, from Dromoher, in 1922, and a Lizzie McMahon, married Patrick McMahon*, from Roughan, in 1926.
So there are probably some descendants still in Kilinaboy - and maybe someone has a memory of hearing about Patrick – he seems to have been a man out of the ordinary.

Sheila

*Lizzie McMahon, Crossard, daughter of Martin McMahon, married Patrick McMahon, Roughan, son of Nicholas McMahon, on the 14th Jul. 1926, in Kilnaboy church; witnesses: Delia Keane, Michael Kelly. I think this Nicholas is the Nicholas McMahon who is in Bunnanagat North in 1901 (Killinaboy DED) – Bunnanagat North is a tiny townland entirely enclosed by the townland of Leana.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 am

Sorry, I am all wrong.

I looked at the Killinaboy headstone inscriptions http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/ ... lnaboy.txt
This one upsets my theory entirely:

Erected | By | BRIDGET McMAHON | Leana | In Memory of Her Father | PATRICK |
Who died 15th Nov. 1899, Aged 79 | Of Her Mother | BRIDGET nee O'DONOHUE | Who
Died July 1885 Aged 60 | And of Her Brother | PATRICK | Who Died 2nd July 1914
Aged 44 | BRIDGET McMAHON | Died Nov 1928 | JOHN MICHAEL CARKILL | Died Dec 18
1981 Aged 15 MTHS | R.I.P.

Sheila

scleyden

Post by scleyden » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Sheila,
I'm a direct descendant of the above-mentioned Nicholas McMahon and Thomas Carkill.

I don't think Patrick was Margaret McMahon (Carkill)'s brother. She was originally from Dysert (Ruan) and as far as I know she did not have siblings called Bridget or Patrick. Nicholas had a brother Patrick but this is not him either; Patrick is living at Kiltoraght with their parents Thomas and Bridget in the 1901 Census.

I have a Patrick born in 1865 to a Patrick McMahon and Bridget Donoghue, which corroborates the headstone inscription. He had a twin brother Terence according to the Civil Record scans. Terence, not being a very common name, pops up in the 1866 Kilfenora Census with both the surnames O'Donoghue and McMahon. You'll also find the above Nicholas, whose mother was also a Donoghue, aged 6 in the same Census, so I have no doubt that the families are related, but as to how, I haven't explored that tangent yet.

Matthew: I would love to read those Limerick Leader stories if you have them scanned! Much of my conversational Irish comes from that side of the family.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:25 am

Hi scleyden

Yes, as I was saying (in my reply to myself), I saw from the headstone inscription that I was all wrong in my reply to Matthew. And following that I saw the baptisms of Patrick and his twin brother, Terence, in the Rath and Kilnaboy parish register - I should have looked there first.
25th Nov. 1865: Patrick McMahon of Patrick McMahon and Bridget Donoghue, Leana; sponsors: Michael Donoghue and Margaret Lahiffe.
Terence McMahon (twin); sponsors: John O’Brien and Mary Donoghue.
I think Terence died the year that he was born – the death of a Terence McMahon, aged 0, was registered in Corofin in 1865.

I then looked for baptisms of siblings of Patrick and Terence just to see if there was a possibility of some descendants still living in the area, but I found only one:
18th Apr. 1861: Joseph of Patrick McMahon and Bridget Donohoe; sponsors: John Flahy and Catherine Flahy, Leana.
Strangely I did not find the baptism of Patrick’s sister, Bridget, but maybe I did not look carefully enough. I did not find a suitable Joseph in the 1901 census and left it at that. It seems to me that that particular line of McMahons, who had been in Leana from the time of Tithes, died out with the death of Bridget in 1928.

I agree that Nicholas McMahon, who is in Bunnanagat in 1901, is the son of Thomas McMahon and Bridget Donohoe, from Knockanskeha, Knockroe, Kiltoraght. And that his brother Patrick is living in the homeplace in the 1901 census. All of that became clear to me once I realised my mistake.

And I agree, of course, that Patrick was not a brother of Margaret McMahon (Carkill) – all of that mistaken theory of mine must be scrapped.
As you are a direct descendant I'm sure that you are right in saying Margaret McMahon, who married Thomas Carkill and then married Martin McMahon, came from yet another McMahon family who lived in Dysert. My saying that she was a sister of Patrick was all bound up in the mistake that I made – I had found no record of her marriage to Thomas Carkill*, but I had found the G.R.O. record of her marriage to Martin, which gave her father’s name as James. As I had already mistakenly decided that Patrick was the son of James from Knockroe, it was just one more (mistaken) step to my deciding that Margaret was his older sibling (listed for James and Mary McMahon in the Kilfenora census). I apologise for any confusion I caused.
* "Carkhill" is another spelling of that name in the G.R.O. records.

Griffith’s Valuation shows a Catherine McMahon as the lessor in Bunnanagat North (to James Griffy and Thomas Kishane). Was she related to Nicholas, I wonder? There’s also a Catherine McMahon who is lessor in Ballyharraghan, in Ruan parish. Are they one and the same?

But to return to Patrick McMahon, the subject of this thread, I too would be interested in seeing those stories in the Limerick Leader.

Sheila

scleyden

Post by scleyden » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:20 pm

Sduddy wrote:Hi scleyden

Griffith’s Valuation shows a Catherine McMahon as the lessor in Bunnanagat North (to James Griffy and Thomas Kishane). Was she related to Nicholas, I wonder? There’s also a Catherine McMahon who is lessor in Ballyharraghan, in Ruan parish. Are they one and the same?

But to return to Patrick McMahon, the subject of this thread, I too would be interested in seeing those stories in the Limerick Leader.

Sheila
Hi Sheila
I'm not sure about Catherine McMahon. A quick look at Griffiths and she seems to be the lessor of lands in Bunnanagat North and South.
The Tithe Applotments show a Captain McMahon as the lessor of lands in Bunnanagat. Perhaps she was his widow.

Sometimes researching McMahons in Clare is like looking for a needle in a haystack! :mrgreen:

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00194.pdf
This was probably the family seat in Clare: http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/Lande ... sp?id=1805

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi scleyden

Thanks for looking up Catherine McMahon. I think you have found her. Probably somewhat removed from the tenantry, probably not related to Patrick, and probably not a transmitter of stories in Irish.

Sheila