Lahinch Golf Club

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

lenc

Lahinch Golf Club

Post by lenc » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:13 pm

I found out recently that my Aunt May Costello of 29 Abbey St was a life-long member of the Golf Club at Lahinch and was a Lady Captain in 1939.

Anyone have any ideas about how I might find out more? Maybe even photos of her?

Here is a pic of her from around that time.

mcreed

Re: Lahinch Golf Club

Post by mcreed » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:18 pm

You could try "A Century of Golf at Lahinch: 1892-1992", by Enda Glynn, published in 1991. There are copies in the Clare Library service. Amazon have it also.

lenc

Post by lenc » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:27 pm

thanks mcreed. will try that

if anyone has a copy, could you check to see if May Costello features?

maybe someone on here had a family member who was a keen golfer from that time and might have piccies?

lenc

Post by lenc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:59 pm

A COPY OF THE BOOK IS WINGING ITS WAY TO MY HOUSE. THANKS FOR THE TIP MCREED.

CAN ANYONE ONE HERE REMEMBER THEIR PARENTS OR FAMILY MEMBERS TALKING ABOUT THE GOLF CLUB FROM AROUND THAT TIME? PERHAPS THEY WERE MEMBERS?

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:49 am

Any luck with the book you ordered?

Perhaps you have already seen the article by "History Ireland" on "Golf's Early Days in Ireland". The article contains a nice photo of some Lahinch Golf Club members on the course but no women in the photo. Although it did include a brief history of women golfers in Ireland:
Women golfers

Another early arrival on the Irish golfing scene, Malahide Golf Club, had a very distinguished founder. Nathaniel Hone the Younger was one of Ireland’s leading late nineteenth-century painters. He was also captain of the club from 1892 to 1897, having founded it with his brother-in-law. The Malahide Club illustrates an interesting feature of golf in its formative years: the relative equality between men and women. In Malahide, women paid the same entry fee (£2) and annual subscription (£1).

The early development of women’s golf is highlighted by the fact that the Irish Ladies Golfing Union was founded in 1893, just two years after its male counterpart and in the same year as its English equivalent. Irish women golfers achieved success before their male counterparts. Ireland was represented among the 38 entrants at the first British Ladies Amateur Championship played in 1893. Between 1899 and 1907 two Irish women, May Hezlet and Rhona Adair, won a total of five championships.
There was an earlier discussion on this forum on whether or not Irish women of the 19th and early 20th century attended funerals, so found it very interesting that women had such equal rights on the golf course!

Here is the link to the History of Ireland article:
http://www.historyireland.com/20th-cent ... ireland-2/

You might also send a request directly to the Lahinch golf club using the contact information from their website - looks like a very nice course!
http://www.lahinchgolf.com/the-golf-club/club-history/

lenc

Post by lenc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi Jimbo

Yes my Aunt May Costello was listed as Lady Captain in 1939. Also her sister Kathleen [Ivy] Meagher also Lady Captain in 1948.

Unfortnately no more info than that and no photos. Still hopeful someone out there might have photos from that era

Here is a scan of the front of my book shwoing some nice autographs including the author.