James kennedy birth year1851?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

macedonianmarevel

James kennedy birth year1851?

Post by macedonianmarevel » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:40 am

Need assistance in tracking down James Kennedy's parents.

I know that he was married to Catherine Mullins in1874 in Ingah. He was baker aged 21yrs in ennistimon(father James Kennedy farmer) she was aged 20 from drumcullaun. So far I am reasonably confident that they have had children: mary 1875, Bridgett 1876, Patrick 1878, Michael 1879 and James 1883. On copy of birth certs shows he is a baker/ shopkeeper

I have found a James kennedy as a baker/shopperkeeper in ennistimon 1894(Clarelibrary site)

I have a copy of a death cert for a James kennedy 1897(shopkeeper) - ennistimon died age 46 I think it is the same person.

As James Kennedy(1851??) is born before 1864 the reliance on church records is proving very frustrating. I am a member of Ancestry.com, rootsinIreland.com, have been on national library site, archives site, family search etc etc etc. 1901,1911 census no good because I think he had already passes away.

Wife and I are visiting Ireland(county clare ) in April 2016

smcarberry

Re: James kennedy birth year1851?

Post by smcarberry » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:59 pm

Your posting indicates that you want to trace the line of James Kennedy back in time and seems to say you want to do that focusing only on records pertaining to James. You are expressing frustration with finding any more than the ones you have listed.

For those who might be in a position to assist you, it is great that you have shown the current extent of your research so we don't take time to point you in the same direction. It is not helpful, however, to be unaware of where in the world you are located, since there might be archives close to your location where research could be done. Not everything is digitised and online as yet.

You need to confirm that your target family members were Catholic, so we know what databases could be relevant.

Also, I am puzzled why you have no interest in researching Catherine Mullins Kennedy. While Ennistymon RC parish baptisms are filmed and online only after 1869 (negating a search for James), the Inagh ones are accessible online from 1850 forwards, just right for Cate for whom there is a baptism on p.270 of the parish book, per the filmed parish index (I haven't viewed the actual entry). RC films are online as images on the National Library website. Kate in the 1911 census (Ennistymon, Church St.) confirmed she was born in Inagh. 1901 has her at age 40 (with several of her children, some of whom you haven't mentioned) and in 1911 at age 58. Finding Mullins researchers or current Clare residents of the Mullins family may lead to handy information about the Kennedy connection and maybe the location of their burials. Perhaps someone knows how Laurence Kennedy b.c. 1850 in your same area relates to your Kennedy family. There is burial info online for him.
You have the benefit of very few Kennedys in that area, and one Mullins listed in the Tithe Applotment of the 1820s (Michael) and the Griffiths Valuation of the 1850s (John) for the townland of your Mullins family.

The 1911 census for all the Kennedy children then in the household lists Ennistymon as their birthplace, and some of them will be in the online parish baptisms as those cover 1870 to 1880. Sponsors might include relatives, and if you see a James as a sponsor, then it might be the child's grandfather, thus narrowing down a death date search. The exact birth dates for the boys are listed in the online Ennistymon school records:
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... s/h_l2.htm

Those are my initial thoughts on what next to do. Hope that is of some help.

Sharon Carberry
USA

macedonianmarevel

Post by macedonianmarevel » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:16 am

Sharon thanks very much for your reply. I have found the info on Cate Mullins baptism ie NOV 1852. Moreover, I have tracked her father(John Mullins) via the 1855 Griffith's Valuations.

I also have the 1901 and 1911 census info and I struggle with Kate Kennedy being 40 in 1901 then Catherine Kennedy being 58 in 1911 could there have been an error in Kate's age. It is interesting to note that on Berth certs for Mary(1875), Bridgett(1876) and Patrick(1878) it shows mother as Catherine Kennedy (Nee Mullins) but for Michael(1879) and James (1883) Mother is Kate Kennedy(nee Mullins).

Michael's Baptism records show mother as Catherine Kennedy. Furthermore I have not been able to locate any birth records for Kate's daughters all born according to 1901 census in Co.Clare and all born after 1864 so one would expect civil records ie delia(abt1878), Minnie(abt1882), Agnes(abt1886) & Josephine(abt 1896).

Thanks for tip on Laurence Kennedy and will continue to follow the mullins lead.

Cheers

macedonianmarevel

Post by macedonianmarevel » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:47 am

I think this James Kennedy died in ennistymon in dec 1897. I have been on Interment.net(Cemetery records online) and the Old Ennistymon cemetery is listed with 409 records(not a complete list of burials last edited in 2008) but there are no Kennedy graves recorded. Are there any members who live in Ennistymon who could shed some light on Kennedy grave sites in Ennistymon