The Ennistymon Union, Board of Guardians after 1850

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

s1nead

The Ennistymon Union, Board of Guardians after 1850

Post by s1nead » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:18 pm

I have had a great deal of FUN success in my recent searches for any mention of my great great grandfather (Patrick Edward Reilly, Esq, JP 1799-1870) in the British Newspaper Archives.

I learned that he had been appointed Treasurer of the Guardians & Ratepayers of the Ennistymon Union in February 1864.

It seems that the Minutes of their meetings were routinely published in the Clare Champion and I found his name mentioned in entries from about 1854-1869.

I was pleased to find the "Ennistymon Union Minute Books" on the Clare Library website but only for the years 1839-1850.

My Google searches were not successful in finding any additional information or Meeting Minutes after 1850 ~ although, as I have mentioned, there are numerous newspaper entries about the Union in newspaper accounts of the era.

Can anyone explain this information gap?

As always, thank you so much for your assistance ....

Susan

murf

Re: The Ennistymon Union, Board of Guardians after 1850

Post by murf » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi Susan
I think perhaps you are referring to the Clare Journal rather than the Champion which didn't appear until the early 1900's.
The Clare Journal published reports of Union meetings on a regular basis throughout the latter half of the 19th century. Four members of my Murphy family were guardians of the Killadysert Union at various times during this period, and I spent many hours scouring the pages of the Journal for the meeting reports. I did a quick scan thru my cuttings folder on the off-chance of finding some Ennistymon meetings, and found two which mentioned PE Reilly Esq on 18 Mar 1859 and 21 Apr 1864.
It may be worth your while to search the Clare Journal during the period you are interested in. It's hard work but you may discover a few nuggets as I did.
Regards
murf

s1nead

Post by s1nead » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks, Murf!

You are probably correct about the name of the newspaper .......

But, I can't seem to find any Minutes of Meetings held after 1850 .......

I believe that it is from these Minutes that the newspaper items originated ....

Could they have stopped keeping Minutes?

I think I will contact either the Library or the Clare Roots Society ......

Thanks so much for writing!!

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:55 am

Hello.

On the Clare Library site (http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... lawact.htm) in A Guide to Ennistymon Union 1839 – 1850, there's a reference to:

"The Board of Guardians of the Ennistymon Union met weekly in the workhouse. The minutes of these meetings exist in 147 hand written volumes and are held by Clare County Library. This information is based primarily on the first nine of those minute books, covering the period 1839 to 1850."

murf

Post by murf » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:42 am

Hi again Susan
Yes mcreed is correct in that the transcribed minute books represent only a small part of the total number. I suggest you read the intro to the minute books page at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... uction.htm
Incidentally, it suggests there that the minute books are held in the archives of the Clare County Council rather than the Library. But Maureen Comber at the library will be able to give you further info.
But rather than trying to get access to the other books, it may be a better approach to check out the Clare Journal. Reporters from the Clare Journal attended these meetings and the newspaper reports are quite comprehensive in their coverage, in fact may contain much anecdotal info eg actual conversations that are not noted in the board minute books. I found that I obtained considerable insight of the character of my gg grandfather Edmond Murphy Sr from the conversational jousting across the boardroom table.

s1nead

Post by s1nead » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:59 am

Hi Murf!

Thanks for your suggestions!

You have described EXACTLY what I am searching for ~ I am more interested in the "flavor" of the meetings.....

I have come across a few entries where the actual conversations between my gg grandfather & others were recorded.....

Very excited to read the words as he spoke them .....

You answered my inquiry ~

I was hoping the minutes would contain more of those interactions but, from what you have just told me, my best bet seems to be in continuing my searches in the newspaper.

Thanks again!