Resources Outside Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Kurt in S.A.

Resources Outside Clare

Post by Kurt in S.A. » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:51 pm

The amount of information available through the Clare County website is quite large and can certainly be useful. I was considering subscribing to rootsireland.ie but wondered if they would have anything more substantial that the country resources don't already offer. From what rootsireland indicates its sources are, it sounds like it might be just more of the same and wouldn't necessarily be worth the investment. My focus should be on County Clare and getting access to the records for all of Ireland doesn't seem to make that much sense.

Thoughts?

Thanks...Kurt

Lucille

Re: Resources Outside Clare

Post by Lucille » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:09 pm

The principal resources that rootsweb.ie have are the Church records and Griffiths Valuation, but it appears not possible to get into the site without subscribing to fully assess what is available, and I can't remember if they only have Catholic records or Church of Ireland as well.

Griffiths is available in indexed form on the Clare Library site and both indexed and originals on askaboutireland, both totally free. Askaboutireland has also recently put up the matching maps for the valuation.

rootsweb have Catholic baptisms for Clare, but when I used the site some months ago they did not have every parish. They only have the indexes, not the originals, but these indexes will give parents' and sponsors' names where they are available. The indexes are searchable but a surname on its own is not sufficient - i.e. you cannot browse for Murphy in a particular parish. A forename or at least an initial is required, so you can look for A. Murphys, B. Murphys etc.

I took a month's subscription and worked solidly at the family name I wanted in the parish, which was fortunately available. The number of searches allowed for the subscription was more than generous enough to cover that particular search, and I did get quite a lot of valuable information.

Alternatively, the originals of the Catholic parish registers, both baptism and marriage, are now available on the National Library of Ireland website http://www.nli.ie, completely free. The drawback is that they are not indexed and some are very difficult to read, but you are not relying on someone else's interpretation of the handwriting. Some of these parishes have been indexed, Kilmurry Ibrickan and Kilmaley anyway, and are available on the Clare Library site.

Lucille

Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Lucille -

Thanks for the overview. I may try the rootsireland site for a short time, but it appears there are other places that I did not know about but will check.

Kurt

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Sorry if I've confused anyone - I'm forever mixing up rootsweb and rootsireland - it is of course the latter that is under discussion.

Lucille