where is Townland Garrynafinchoage

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kbarlow

where is Townland Garrynafinchoage

Post by kbarlow » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:46 am

I am hoping someone in the Forum may know where the townland of Garrynafinchoage is? ie what is the name in the 1901 Census; or at least what may the adjacent townlands be called? The map associated with the Tithe Applotment Books at the Clare Library site is missing this particular townland!

regards, Kerry

murf

Re: where is Townland Garrynafinchoage

Post by murf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:55 am

Kerry
Garrynafinchoage appears in the list of townlands in the Tithe Applotment Books at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... wnland.htm
It was then in the parish of Killinaboy, and apparently renamed or incorporated in another townland in the Griffiths Valuation.
There are ten names listed in Garrynafinchoage. If nobody comes up with a quick answer to its exact location, you may be able to match this bunch of names with a similar bunch in Griffiths in Killinaboy Parish.

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 am

Thanks for reply Murf - had already tried your suggested exercise, to no avail. :cry: Am hoping there's someone in the Forum who knows a bit more about Clare geography/history of changes.

cheers, Kerry

sadhbh

Post by sadhbh » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:53 am

Hi Kerry,
Taking Murf's suggestion and looking at the group of surnames listed for Garrynafinchoage in the Tithes, they appear to be clustered in three current adjoining townlands: Gortlecka, Knockaunroe and Rinnamona, numbers 29, 35 and 46 respectively on this map of Killinaboy townlands:
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... nlands.htm. Garrynafinchoage was possibly located in this area.

sadhbh

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:32 pm

Following on from Sadhbh's comments here's a satellite view of that area

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... .9944Z14F1*

and a satellite view showing the townland boundaries (in the parish of Killinaboy)

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... 1L31a5g541*

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:14 am

Thanks Sadhbh and McReed for your replies. The names I am interested in, in particular, are Hynes & Doolen, and I'm not convinced that these names are prevalent in the East of Kilnaboy boundaries in 1855.

regards, kerry

caoilte

Post by caoilte » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Garrynafinchoage (recte Garraí Na Fuinseóg) translates as Ashfield which is indicated on the primary O.S. map of Gortlecka townland, parish of Killinaboy.

chriswmichaell

Post by chriswmichaell » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:27 am

Hi all.
I'm very interested in the Hynes's from Gortlecka as well. I do have sme information about them if you are still concerned.
Regards
Michael Lowe

Clare Past Mod

Post by Clare Past Mod » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:15 pm

chriswmichaell wrote:Hi all.
I'm very interested in the Hynes's from Gortlecka as well. I do have sme information about them if you are still concerned.
Regards
Michael Lowe
Please do go ahead and post that information, Michael. Someone here is sure to be interested.
Thank you.
Clare Past Moderator

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:16 am

Hi Michael - it would be great if you posted any leads on the Hynes from near Corrofin. The Michael Hynes I am tracking was married to a Catherine Hehir (it about 1846-49), and was transported to VDL in 1852. His brothers John & Patrick were also transported, and Patrick's family I can track in Tassie. Michael, John & Patricks father may have been Patrick, mother was Bridget; sisters were Mary & Nancy. I cannot find any of them in the Rath-Kilnaboy RC Parish records. Yet to search adjoining parishes.

Kerry