Ennis Marriage 1878, Loughan/Loughnane & Cullan/Cullinan

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kellysmith1976

Ennis Marriage 1878, Loughan/Loughnane & Cullan/Cullinan

Post by kellysmith1976 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi, I am from Kent in England, And im trying to find out more information about my 2 X Great Grandad. He was in the Army, and when he was stationed in England, He met me 2 X Great Gran, and they had a baby!..
I have found the index for his Marriage (not to my 2 x Great Gran!) in 1878, In Ennis, Clare.
These are the details i have

Robert Loughan (Indexed as Robert Loughnane) Married Victoria Cullan (indexed as Mary Cullinan).. On 3rd October 1878.

I would dearly love to find out Roberts Parents.. I have his military records, which state he was born c1835 ... In Killygarvan. ..But i do know from his records that he was stationed in Clare.

If anyone can assist me that would be wonderful!..
Thank you for allowing me to join this forum..
Kelly
x

Jimbo

Re: Ennis Marriage 1878, Loughan/Loughnane & Cullan/Cullinan

Post by Jimbo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi Kelly,

On the Family Search database a Robert Michael Loughan was born on 14 November 1880 in Ennis with parents Robert Loughan and Maria Cullinan:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGGX-1SQ

By the 1901 Irish census, the Robert Loughan family was living in Little Georges, Dock Ward, County Antrim. The senior Robert Loughan is age 60 (born about 1841) and is listed as a pensioner. His son Robert, age 20, is listed as a pastry baker born in Ennis, Clare. Robert and Victoria (born in Ennis, age 40 in 1901) had a total of 8 children:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... es/936588/

Looks like their eldest son Robert Michael Loughan born in Ennis followed in his father's footsteps and joined the military for WWI from 1914 through 1919. Robert Loughan is not listed on the Clare library site of Clare WWI soldiers, perhaps as wasn't living in Clare when he enlisted. All his younger siblings were born in Belfast (from the 1901 census).
https://familysearch.org/search/collec ... id=2125045

The senior Robert Loughan is listed as being born in Carrickfergus. You might want to check there for his baptism records (the family was listed as Roman Catholic in 1901) to find his parents. Or perhaps a descendant of one of his eight children might have more information?

Best of luck,
James

kellysmith1976

Re: Ennis Marriage 1878, Loughan/Loughnane & Cullan/Cullinan

Post by kellysmith1976 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:49 am

Thank you.. Yes this is the right line.. I have the information about his family after 1880.. I have Robert Snr death in 1905, Then his wife moved with some of the children to Coatbridge In Scotland...
My Great Grandad was born in 1877, In Rye Sussex, England.. He was called Robert.. So im thinking maybe Robert Snr never knew he had a baby in England, As like you have found his first son to his marriage was also called Robert.

And also on his Military papers one says he was born in Carrickfergus, but i can find no trace.. The other paper says Killygarvan.. Again i can find no trace!..