Are there always 2 Ship Manifests-Departure & Arrival Ports?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

s1nead

Are there always 2 Ship Manifests-Departure & Arrival Ports?

Post by s1nead » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:40 am

I might be the last person to discover this and all of you might already be aware -

I discovered that, on my grandfather's emigration voyage, there was a Manifest when he left Liverpool and another, different, Manifest when he arrived at Ellis Island.

He had left Liverpool in Dec 1908 aboard the RSM Lusitania and docked at Ellis Island about a Week later.

I've always had the Ellis Island Manifest where, at 22 years old, he claimed he was a "grocer", gave his last address in Ireland and offered the name & address of his nearest relative in Ireland.

Because of the Lusitania connection (of which we were never aware), I wanted to learn more about his voyage.

I found the Lusitania Manifest from Liverpool which included different information about my grandfather.

He stated that he was a Student (which I believe was closer to the truth than his being a grocer).

It also included his Cabin - I learned that he had traveled in a Second Class Cabin - new information....

Thanks to the huge online presence of the RSM Lusitania, I was able to "reconstruct" what his voyage might have been like .......

Interesting that this information was never shared with his children - although we had heard the story on NUMEROUS occasions that his wife, Grandma, had traveled, alone, in steerage from Longford when she was only 16 years of age in 1904......