Jeremiah Brew Kelly of Port and Sir Michael O'Loghlen

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Jeremiah Brew Kelly of Port and Sir Michael O'Loghlen

Post by Sduddy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:35 am

This notice appeared in the The Clare Journal on September 7th, 1882, and was copied by The Irish Canadian:
Kelly: On Tuesday, aged 63 years, at Port House, Ruan, in this county, Jeremiah Brew Kelly Esq J.P. The deceased gentleman was a member of an ancient Irish race & on the maternal side was the near relation of the late Sir Michael O’Loughlin who was born in Port House. The public career of Mr. Kelly requires no further comment beyond stating that became, perhaps, the most extensive farmer in Munster independently of his property & that during his long career, he never incurred the enmity of a neighbour or lost the confidence of a friend. Funeral at one o’clock on Saturday.

I am wondering what’s the connection between Jeremiah and Sir Michael O’Loghlen.
I’ve done some research but found nothing. Sir Michael and his brother, Bryan, were married to Bedelia and Ellen Kelly (sisters), but they were from a Dublin family who had no connection – as far as I know - with Jeremiah’s people – the Kellys of Dysert.
Jeremiah’s mother was Brew, so I wondered if she was related to an aunt, or uncle, of Sir Michael, but, again, I found nothing: the two genealogical charts I looked at show that Sir Michael’s father, Colman O’Loghlen, had only one sibling, Mary. She married Austin Curtin (about 1764) and they had a daughter who married Thaddeus Brew, but this family went to America.
Then I thought that the connection might be with Sir Michael’s mother, Susanna Finucane. I found her on Finucane of Clare – A Genealogical Study (online). This shows her parents and all her siblings and none of them married a Brew.
Sorry to be so longwinded about this, but I don’t want anyone wading through stuff that I’ve already been through. In short, does anyone know how Jeremiah Brew Kelly and Sir Michael O’Loghlen were connected? Any crumb of information appreciated.

Sheila

mick o

Re: Jeremiah Brew Kelly of Port and Sir Michael O'Loghlen

Post by mick o » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:43 am

shelia,
a new clan olochlainn web site is now on line at http://olochlainn.wordpress.com
may be of help with your query
regards mo

Sduddy

Re: Jeremiah Brew Kelly of Port and Sir Michael O'Loghlen

Post by Sduddy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi Mick O

Thank you for letting me know about that site.

Sheila