Ennis Lunatic Asylum

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

s1nead

Ennis Lunatic Asylum

Post by s1nead » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:10 am

Three of my relatives died in this Asylum ~

2 in 1894 and another in 1890 but they were not mental patients.

One had tuberculosis; another had suffered for two years with hepatic disease before dying in 1894.

The third died of marasmus in 1890 ~ Marasmus is defined as "malnutrition of the brain" ~ could this be mental illness?

The family was not poor and had means so I do not think they were "County Patients". They probably could have afforded treatment anywhere....

So ~ was Ennis Lunatic Asylum also a hospital?

Any idea of its reputation as a medical facility?

Thanks for reading!

Paddy Casey

Re: Ennis Lunatic Asylum

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:22 am

See the meaty article at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/librar ... roject.htm relating to Our Lady’s Hospital which first opened its doors in 1868 and was then known as Ennis District Lunatic Asylum. Clare Mental Health Services, on behalf of the Mid Western Health Board, placed the archives of Our Lady’s Hospital in Clare County Archives on the closure of the hospital in March, 2002. The collection has now been fully catalogued by Clare County Archives.This collection will now be available to the public subject to closure periods imposed on certain categories of records to protect the privacy of individuals. The entire collection will not be open until 2110.

I'm not sure what the latter statement means in respect to your family records. It would probably be best to phone the archives for more information (see Contact details at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/archiv ... act_us.htm).

Paddy

s1nead

Re: Ennis Lunatic Asylum

Post by s1nead » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Just wanted to leave an update for this post of mine.

After submitting a FOI (Freedom of Information) form, ALL of the records found for my ancestors were copied and sent to me!

I am pleasantly shocked at what was included......

It was a very productive day when they were delivered!

A "shout out" to County Clare Archivist, Rene Franklyn, who was extremely helpful!

Suaan