Donnellan from Kilkishen to Ballarat, Australia

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kbarlow

Donnellan from Kilkishen to Ballarat, Australia

Post by kbarlow » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:43 am

I note there have been posts on the forum about the Donnellan families from near Kilkishen, but cannot ascertain if any are related to a John, Patrick, Honora and Mary who migrated to Victoria between 1856-1858. Patrick's (born abt 1835) death index of 1899 indicates his father was Patrick, mother was a Mary Morey; John's (born abt 1841) death index of 1921 indicates father was Michael, mother was Mary Maloney. Obits of the time indicated that Patrick was a native of Kilkishen.

I have traced another 2 Donnellan families in/near Ballarat as well, but not yet established if they are related to my family.

Is there anyone on the forum who has these parents or family members in their tree?

regards, Kerry

smcarberry

Re: Donnellan from Kilkishen to Ballarat, Australia

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:34 pm

I have information on one of the families you described. In the RC Parish of O'Callaghan Mills, a baptism of Margaret took place on 19 July 1839, the parents being Patrick Donnellan and Margaret Norry of Clashduff, a townland near Kilkishen village and once a major residence of the area's Donnellans. This child's sponsors were Cornelius Donnellan (whose descendants still live in Kilkishen) and Bridget Morey.
That was transcribed during a marathon session with the film. Next month you can check those spellings for yourself when the National Library puts online images of all the parish films. I have more on Clashduff families because my ancestor Michael Donnellan was born there also.

I will need more to identify John Donnellan b.c.1841, whose mother was a Moloney. Interestingly, a Martin Donnellan b.c.1802 in Clashduff married Honora Maloney and had their last child there in 1842 before departing for Melbourne. There is a descendant who is their family historian.

If you send me a private message via this Forum, we can discuss this at greater length. Nice to hear of your interest.

Sharon Carberry
USA

Maurice Hanrahan

Post by Maurice Hanrahan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:58 am

Hi Kerry

I am aware of the Donnellan family from Millbrook (Gordon) and know the area well. My mother's family came from there (Sullivan) and one of here earlier relations married into the Donnellan family. We still live close by (Bungaree). I have some further information somewhere. Let me know if interested and/or please send me your email address.

Kind regards

Maurice

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:58 am

Thanks for your reply Maurice. I am aware of a Thomas (died 1911) & Michael Donnellan (died 1914) near Ballarat; f=Thomas; m=Cath Connors; Michael probably father of Lawrence (married to a Hennessey). I haven't yet ascertained if this family is related to Honora Donnellan (married to Martin Kierce). If you have any detailed information on the Millbrook Donnellans that would be great, especially their family names/details in Clare. I will send my email details to you via a personal message from this system.

regards, Kerry