Boston Pilot - Missing Friends - Devitt & McNamara, Miltown

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Kevin J. O'Brien

Boston Pilot - Missing Friends - Devitt & McNamara, Miltown

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Sun May 31, 2015 1:59 pm

An important Genealogical Resource for Clare Ancestors

Boston College’s Irish Studies Program created a database based on The Search for Missing Friends: Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot from 1831-1921. The project used an eight-volume set published by the New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, 1989-1993.

http://infowanted.bc.edu/results/?county=Clare

This data base is easily searched and has 2,141 results for queries: County: CLARE and 91 results for queries: Barony: IBRICKAN (my ancestral barony).

It is important to look at the entry in the book because there is more information contained than on the Boston College site. I have been using the names and dates and searching on Ancestry to find the querie like I have attached to this entry.

An interesting example is of the Devitt family from Miltown Malbay, County Clare and the anxious mother includes her maiden name. I found the family in the Miltown Parish registers. Also listed is another child, Michael that did not made the baptismal registers and the fact that her sons landed in Quebec. I have found a number of families from the Miltown Malbay area landing in Quebec around and shortly after the famine time era.

Devitt & McNamaraMiltown Malbay

Patrick Devitt and Winnifred McNamara of Miltown Malbay, County Clare
Children’s Baptism Records
John Devitt 3 Jun 1833
Patrick Devitt 13 Mar 1836
Mary Devitt 10 Apr 1842
Patrick Devitt 9 Mar 1845
Mary Devitt 12 Feb 1848
Attachments
Missing Friends Devitt 1857 Miltown.jpg
Missing Friends Devitt 1857 Miltown.jpg (186.44 KiB) Viewed 6094 times

mgallery

Re: Boston Pilot - Missing Friends - Devitt & McNamara, Milt

Post by mgallery » Sun May 31, 2015 4:02 pm

thanks I had seen this resource before. My gt gt gt uncle James Kenny was missing and his nephew C.D. Kenny (Cornelius David) of Rochester NY and then Baltimore looked for him. The Pilot was a Catholic newspaper. From family letters sent to me by C.D Kennys grandson I know that they found James Kenny in Sioux City, Iowa. (I have been unable to place him there) and that his brother Mathias Kenny sent him out an allowance of 50 pounds a year, that he lived to a great age but resisted his family's many attempts to get him to move back to Ireland or to New York where his brother Edmond lived.