Denis Shannon, Esq. of Kildimo, Clare who died 23 March 1833

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Pete

Denis Shannon, Esq. of Kildimo, Clare who died 23 March 1833

Post by Pete » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:26 pm

I am interested in information about Denis Shannon, Esq. of Kildimo, Clare who died 23 March 1833 at age 84. [The Limerick Times] The names of his wife and children would be most useful to determine if I am a descendant. My great-great grandfather,Tomas, was born November 1797 in Clare. His parents were Denis and Sarah (nee ?) Shannon. Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks, Pete
Last edited by Pete on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mgallery

Re: Fr. Thomas Shannon, Clare to Philadelphia

Post by mgallery » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:40 pm

Denis Shannon is mentioned twice in the 1807 presentments as repairing roads in the right area (near Annagh). He is also mentioned with the Mahons which could mean he is related to the Cragaknock Shannons but may not. Paddy Waldron gave me a completely unfollowable courtcase which talks about the cragaknock

I dont know who is wife is or was. I do know he was relatively well off from the mention on the presentments.

I assume that he is related to Edmond of Kildimo who lived at Berry Lodge and married Margaret O'Grady of Shore park in 1817 and who died in 1839

See below for what I have on Edmond

There were several different branches of Shannons around at this time.
rgds
Margaret

About Shannon, Edmond
of Berry Lodge referred to in the O'Grady book as Edmond of Kildimo
In tithe farming 154 acres mr shannon
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... rch=Search
Freeman's Journal dated 1.3.1841.
Married limerick evening post mon 1 dec 1817 on thurs at her fathers shore park co Clare Edmond Shannon of kildimo to Margaret 2nd dau of Daniel o Grady esq

"on the 23rd Feb, in Limerick, Pierce Shannon, Esq. of New Orleans, North America. to Margaret, relict of Edmond Shannon, of Berry Lodge, Co. Clare"

Married in 1817 according to the O'Grady book. He says Edmond was of Kildimo
This could be the same Edmond from the 1807 presentment
20 To Edmond Shannon, Contractor, to keep in repair one thousand two hundred and sixty-five perches from Ennis to the sea, between the three roads of Aureenskeheen and the three roads of Carrunaligane

Waterford Chronicle Tipperary Clans
named as ennistymon board of guardians Clare journal Aug 20 1839

Pete

Re: Denis Shannon, Esq. of Kildimo, Clare who died 23 March

Post by Pete » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:36 pm

The 1821 List of Freeholders shows Denis Shannon of Kildimo with two freeholds each valued at 50 L: one in Kildimo registered in 1813 and another in Scrapull registered in 1817.

PaddyShannon

Post by PaddyShannon » Thu May 07, 2015 12:01 am

Pete,

I sent you a PM.

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Thu May 07, 2015 3:41 pm

May I suggest that if there is more information on the Shannons of Kildimo that can be shared that it be posted rather than sent as a PM. I'm also interested in the Shannon families of that area.

Thanks

Lucille

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Fri May 08, 2015 10:57 am

Lucille I have a fair bit on the Shannons of Kildimo. Freda Shannon who is Paddy's cousin does not think they were related. However Denis is a name in her family she has a brother Denis. She told me the house the Shannons lived in - another family have it now. She said they were local landlords and had to sell out the time of the land commission sales. I think they were the same family as the doctors in Ennistymon.(I am pretty sure of this for some reason). Also I suspect they were related to the Cragaknock Shanons. You are welcome to anything I have which is a lot of bits and pieces. A fresh eye may pull it together.

Another Shannon researcher gave me info on Pierce Shannon mayor of Limerick and his nephew Pierce alderman of Limerick and merchant of Limerick and New Orleans. This family was also from West Clare, Pierce Shannons widow ended up living in Quilty and may be the same as the Kildimo Shannons.

There is a court case Paddy Waldron kindly gave me that says the Cragaknock Shannons are cousins of the Kennys but it is impossible to follow without believeing someone married their grandmothers sister or something similarly bizarre

Margaret

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Sat May 09, 2015 9:58 am

Thanks for sharing that information Margaret.

Lucille

PaddyShannon

Post by PaddyShannon » Mon May 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Margaret, (mgallery)

We have shared information before and I certain will continue do so with you in the future. My PM to Peter was simply to pose a quick question to him and to not rehash the same information that we have shared previously on this forum. Margaret I believe we both have used the PM for specific things related to a Shannon topics that may not be germane to the forum at large.

As for Freda Shannon's supposition that this Denis Shannon of Kildimo was not related is still a matter that I consider unresolved at this point and further it is my belief that he (Denis) was related. I continue to try and find some link or connection to support my belief and will continue to do so until I find out one way or the other. I believe the connection could be found quicker if I had access to relevant documents in Ireland that are simply not accessible on-line. Freda has a brother Denis (Dennis), Freda's Grandfather was Denis (Dennis), and Freda has an Uncle Denis (Dennis) (Her Father's Brother) in England. Freda's Grandfather Denis (Dennis) had 12 brother's and sisters. That their names were given based on Shannon Uncles and Aunts of previous generations is undeniable. That is based upon Denis' brother's, my Grandfather's (Pat) and Great Uncle's (Jack/John), stories. Margaret there is no question that the Shannon's were related to the McMahon's. Freda's and my Great Grandfather John Shannon (Kildimo) was married to Mary McMahon daughter of Patrick McMahon who lived just a stones throw up the road in Carrowduff. If one looks at the areas called Cragaknock, Srapull, Quartermire and others in terms of land holding and their relative proximity to Kildimo, and the Annagh/Kildimo River Bridge House that the our Shannon's lived in since the late 1700s it's hard to believe that all those Shannon's were not related in some way. Although I will make a small concession as it relates to Patrick and Pierce Shannon out of Limerick by way of Dublin/Scotland which another Dennis Shannon related to those Shannon's has convinced me that we probably are not related? I have other data/information on our Shannon's as it relates to the U.S. and other countries as to their emmigration from Kildimo, Clare for three generations and that is what I intended on asking Peter as I thought he might be from the U.S.

Well there I went and did it again but at any rate Margaret I will not bother this forum in the future with me surreptitious use of the PM.

All the best,
Paddy

PaddyShannon

Post by PaddyShannon » Mon May 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Margaret,

Where I stated Mary McMahon (daughter of Patrick McMahon) married to John Shannon I meant to type Catherine.

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Tue May 12, 2015 11:38 am

Hi Paddy

It was I who asked for the information to be posted on the forum rather than in a PM, not Margaret - so blame me!

According to a very old IGI report my 3x gt grandfather, John Dwyer/O'Dwyer of Annagh, married a Margaret Shannon in the late 18th century, before later marrying Mary Fitzpatrick. I have never found any further proof of this, though it could explain some later strange inter-generational connections. I therefore read anything to do with the name Shannon from that area, in the hope that something might fall into place.

So as far as I'm concerned, keep it coming.

Thanks

Lucille

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Tue May 12, 2015 11:52 am

Paddy

I think your post was uncalled for. I did not complain or comment on your use of the PM. I have shared info in the past with you. I dont really care if you want to PM.

your comments on Pierce and Patrick Shannon coming from Scotland are unfounded. They came originally from West Clare to Limerick and their funeral reports refer to relatives in West Clare. I know another Shannon researcher had hoped they came from his branch which he thinks is different and came from Scotland but he would agree that the evidence is to the contrary as one might expect, Limerick and Clare are close together.

I have no doubt Dennis is a Shannon name, what I said was that the current Shannon family (Freda) went through with me the shannons I know I am descended from around Kildimo and told me how their lands were sold off and said she didnt think they were related. In my experience when families say that it means if there is a relationship it is extremely far back 1600s or 1700s. I know myself that we lived in the same townland as other Gallerys who my father always insisted were not related in any way but he said things like the Gallerys of Ennistymon are related in the 1700s. (another branch). This kind of oral knowledge gives valuable clues as people who stay living in the area often do know who their third and fourth cousins are. It doesnt mean its always accurate but it gives a clue

Margaret

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Wed May 13, 2015 5:48 pm

This is what I know about my gt gt gt gt gt grandfather David Shannon of Kildeemo (Kildimo). Its not a lot. I think he had a son called David who may be the David of Clohanes who died in 1833. Denis may be his son or the son of the other Denis.

Shannon, David
d. AFT 1799 (he or his son David signed for the act of union)
died in 1700s
of Kildeemo according to Paddy and Eric Shaws pedigree
http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Clare/1799/SEP.html
I know these Shannons were related to the Cragaknock Shannons from a courtcase on cragaknock which concerns the Kennys as holders of the deeds (specifically David Kenny my gt gt gt grandfather who seems to have been named David for his grandfather. I also know they are related to the Ennistymon Shannons.
We have David Gallerys in my family to this day named for their kenny and Shannon ancestors (though they may not know it)

Margaret

Shannon, David

on 1820 freeholders as a life for Thomas Kenny of church st 1818 islands
in 1817 as a life for Cornelius Kenny
Not sure if this is the David of Clohanes who dies in 1836 according to the Limerick chronicle

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:01 pm

Margaret,
When I saw 'D. Shannon of Kildimo' listed as signer of the Acts of Union, I thought it might be Denis Shannon given the value of his Freeholds. Is there a way to verify if "D" is for Denis, David or even Daniel? Other signers are listed with all these more complete given names. Given this uncertainty, I didn't mention it.

Another reason that I suspect being a descendant of Denis is based on Irish naming patterns. My grt-grt grandfather Tomas may be named for his grandfather. Thomas Shannon of Kildimo was a Freeholder in 1768 with holdings in Muckinish and Curraghida valued at 10 pounds. This could be Denis' father given the Freehold that Denis had in 1821. I know a Thomas Shannon is in your ancestory also. Could this be the same person?

Pete
Last edited by Pete on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Pete you are right it may well have been Denis of Kildimo. It is D Shannon. As his Kenny nephews in the locallty all signed I thought it was David Shannon. This may be wrong. I think that D. Is used for David. Dan. for Dan. Denis for Denis. I may be wrong. They were big into shortening type in those days in newsprint and use the shortenings they think everyone will know. M. will be Michael and f. Francis. Martin would be specified... This may be an over assumption but I dont think so.

The only thing I know for definite is that the Shannons of Cragakock were the same Shannons.
The trouble about assuming connections from names is that they go back for many many generations. Hugh for example is an O'Grady name. There could be multiple Denis Shannons in the area if Denis is a Shannon name. There were also Shannons in Mullagh

Re Thomas I dont know if he is related or not. I do know he had a son Thomas Jnr

Kildimo converts list 1789
In 1790 Thomas Shannon jnr of Kildymo with fields within half a mile of miltown offers that place for sale 11th Nov (Clare Jourmal)