Neville James

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

mangamahu

Neville James

Post by mangamahu » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:34 pm

James Neville married Margaret Lyons. Where and when I currently don't know.
Bridget and James are two of their children I know. Bridget born c. 1860 Kilmurry. James born c. 1853
Both Bridget and James immigrated to New Zealand 1879 aboard the ship Opawa. Bridget subsequently married James Mc Donnell.
Bridget and James Mc Donnell knew each other in Ireland and always intended to marry.
So, aboard the Opawa were James and Michael Mc Donnell, Bridget and James Neville. (Also aboard was a Margaret Lynes, variant spelling of Lyons?)
A Margaret Lyons was a witness to the marriage of James and Bridget. I am thinking that this Margaret was a cousin to Bridget and the same Margaret that was on the Opawa.

Back to Ireland -- Results of research I have commissioned:
Baptised on 3rd January 1859, Bridget, the daughter of James Nevill and Margaret Lyons of Kilmurry [?]. Martin Keefe of Kilmurry and Margaret Lyons of Kilkeshen stood as sponsors to the baptism.
Baptised on 24th March 1854, James the son of James Neville and Margaret Lyons of Kilmurry. Pat McMahon and Mary Grady both of Kilmurry stood as sponsors to the baptism.
Baptised on 29th November 1850, James the son of James Neville and Margaret Lyons of Kilmurry. Thomas McNamara and Margaret Quilling both of Kilmurry stood as sponsors to the baptism. (It is likely this child died and the next male child was named James again.)

So far the marriage of James Neville and Margaret Lyons has not been found. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

From commissioned research:
There is a town and townland called Kilmurry in the civil parish of Kilmurry (Bunratty) and it is likely that this was the address for the Neville family in the 1850s.

Griffith’s Valuation for the parish of Kilmurry (Bunratty) was completed on 20th September 1855 at which time James Neville leased a house and land holding in the townland of Kilmurry.

At Lot 6 James Neville leased a 3 acres 1 rood and 15 perches of land from Thomas Studdert. His property had a total rateable value of £2.

At Lot 8a James Neville leased a house valued at 8s. from Thomas Studdert.

Any family details anyone can add would again be greatly appreciated.