Carrig surname,possably attached to O'Connor and/or Curtin

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Blondie

Carrig surname,possably attached to O'Connor and/or Curtin

Post by Blondie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Searching for info on Carrig ancestors. My gggrandfather was Michael Carrig,wife Ann( born O'Connor or possably Curtin) I have always been told they were from Ennis or Ennyiston. I have seen all the information posted about other Michael Carrigs,but they do not fit with mine. There is another Michael and Ann Carrig who have remarkably similar information,but are not mine. I'm sure they are connected in some way,just not sure. Here is what I know.
I have the 1880 census from a town near Olean,NY listing Michael as born in Ireland in 1848. On the 1900 census,he is listed as being born,Febuary 1845,on his grave it says 1846. Ann is listed on 1880 census as born in Ireland,in 1848,1900 census as,April 1857,and on her grave,1852. It says they were married about 1868 and immigrated about 1871. It lists 8 children all as being born in Massachusetts,but based on their ages,some had to have been born in Ireland. If the census is correct,they would be Margaret (1870),Susan (1871).In addition it lists mother inlaw,Hannah O'Connor, born in Ireland around 1905. I assumed Ann's maiden name was O'Connor if that is her mothers last name,but I read a post recently about a Hannah O'Connor who may have been married previously to a James Curtain.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blondie

Re: Carrig surname,possably attached to O'Connor and/or Curt

Post by Blondie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:27 am

I have found a child of Michael Carrigg and Hanah Connor, Susan, born April 10, 1870 in Roadford,Clare.That looks to be in the Parish of Killilagh. I believe these are my ancestors as they had a daughter Susan born about then. I also saw a Susan born in 1870 registered in Ennistymon.( no other info with that) Are these places one in the same? Are they close to one another? I know that Michael and Hanah (Ann),had a daughter Margaret or Maggie,probably a year before,but I can find no record of that, or a marriage of Michael and Hanah. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.