Kelly of Clare, with help from Paddy Waldron

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Kelly of Clare, with help from Paddy Waldron

Post by smcarberry » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Raymond T. Kelly of Alpharetta, Georgia (USA) has online extensive information for the Co. Clare Kelly family. There are
gedcoms with the basic details, but there is also a "notes" section which has dozens of stories passed along from family members and others, such as Clare-Past-Forum-member Paddy Waldron. I show below a little bit, to whet your appetites.

Sharon Carberry
not related

"Unfortunately many Catholic parishes in County Clare have no surviving records until after 1840. However, many of our ancestors have kept good records in their homes, which is why many of the facts in this report are accompanied by interesting anecdotal stories. I doubt whether there is a Kelly that hasn't got a tale to tell about three fleeing brothers and a priest. Therefore one of the most important methods of compiling Irish genealogical records is through the process of 'tracing', the process of visiting with and interviewing relatives. I personally started this process in the late 1960's in Broadford, Co. Clare during my summer holidays. However, I am indebted to the hard work and effort by many of my relatives whose tracing has been invaluable and is still ongoing...Almost 100 independent sources have been referenced to complete this report on the Kelly family of Clonina. Of particular importance were a 36-page research report completed by Michael Lascelles-Kelly in the 1920's, an extensive story of the Kelly's of Dysert compiled by Tony Morgan, a book and other research by the historian and author, Hugh Weir, a genealogy report by the professional genealogists, Hibernian Group, a 77-page genealogy report called The Kellys Of County Clare, from Trinity College professor Paddy Waldron and notes from a document called the Kelly's of Craggaknock, which was completed in 1925 by Michael Killeen. Each of these studies has been painstakingly verified and anecdotes compiled through personal interviews."

The Kellys of County Clare
AUTHOR: Dr. Paddy Waldron
PUBLICATION: 27 July 2001

sampling of family listings:
Michael MCMAHON
BIRTH: ABT. 1815, Knocknagun, Newmarket on Fergus, Co. Clare, Ireland
DEATH: ABT. 1880, Drummina, Dysert, Co. Clare, Ireland
Family 1 : Susan KELLY
MARRIAGE: 20 Feb 1849, Dysert, Co. Clare, Ireland
1. Michael Kelly MCMAHON
2. Susanna MCMAHON
3. Bidelia MCMAHON
4. +John Kelly MCMAHON
5. James Kelly MCMAHON
6. Patrick Kelly "Pat" MCMAHON
7. Francis Kelly MCMAHON
8. Mortimer Thomas MCMAHON
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hilaryr/ ... html#I2138

Flonoria MCMAHON
BIRTH: ABT. 1800, Kilmihil, Co. Clare, Ireland
DEATH: ABT. 1860, Co. Clare, Ireland
Father: Terence "Terry" MCMAHON
Family 1 : John KELLY
MARRIAGE: ABT. 1824, Co. Clare, Ireland
1. Anne KELLY
2. John KELLY
3. +James KELLY
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hilaryr/ ... html#I1165

miriam scahill

Re: Kelly of Clare, with help from Paddy Waldron

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:02 pm

Hello Sharon and Paddy - I often wonder is there a connection with the name Queally and Qually (as seen in Census of 1901) with the name Kelly - after all the letter Q is not in Irish language - and the sound of Kelly in Irish 'Ceallaigh' is not atall unlike the sound of Queally and Qually. - Just a thought. !!
Miriam.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:41 am

Miriam,

I certainly see the potential there for what you are wondering. If I happen upon something along those lines, I will post it here.

Maurice Lenihan, the author (19th century) of a major work on Limerick history, also had some opinions on surnames, which unfortunately (so far as I know) did not become the basis of any publication by him. I have a a paragraph or two of his which appeared in an old periodical, in which he discusses a few surnames of the region, as to origin and relationship to other surnames. However finding it again is problematic, as it does not fall into a category of mine for easy retrieval. Next time I come across it in my background materials, I will post it on this Forum.

Sharon Carberry

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:11 pm

In Surnames of Ireland, MacLysaght notes under Queally (Ó Caollaidhe) that the `confusion which has arisen between Queally, Keally, Keeley, Kiely, etc. is discussed in' his other book, More Irish Families. I don't have my own copy of the latter book, but he does not list Kelly among the names which might be confused with Queally.