Tarsnane/Tarsenane/Tarsone Family

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

verdun20

Tarsnane/Tarsenane/Tarsone Family

Post by verdun20 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:51 am

The 1901 Census shows the Tarsnane family in Co. Clare. My maternal Great Grandmother was Margaret Tarsnane daughter of Matthew/Mathew Tarsnane and Bridget O'Brien, farmers of Co. Clare possibly Clooneybreen.

Margaret married Patrick O'Connor of Co. Limerick in Australia in 1879.

Does anyone have information on the Tarsnane family of Co. Clare and possibly Margaret/Margret born around 1844 in Co. Clare??

Paddy Casey

Re: Tarsnane/Tarsenane/Tarsone Family

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:38 pm

Did you notice the Tarsnanes in the Tithe Applotment records at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ompson.htm

and the Tarsanes in the Index to Biographical Notices 1935-1985 at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... piont1.htm

and the Micheal Tarsnane in the Ennistymon workhouse records at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... breach.htm (".....Micheal Tarsnane for smoking and disorderly conduct was ordered the mitigated (it being his first offence) of deprivation of milk for 1 day and to work an extra hour....") ?

Paddy

verdun20

Post by verdun20 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:58 am

:P Thank you Paddy. I hadn't picked those up. If you have any further suggestions of where I might find information on the Tarsnane family it would be greatly appreciated, especially by my 93 y.o. Mum - Great Grand daughter of Matthew Tarsnane and his wife Bridget nee O'Brien. She's the last of her family line so it's pretty important to me to find what I can while she's still with us.

sadhbh

Post by sadhbh » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:25 pm

I have found what looks like a sister of Margaret in the Census search forms on the library website. See http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ame_nw.htm and scroll down to Tarsnane. Kate Howe nee Tarsnane, daughter of Mat Tarsnane and Biddy O'Brien was applying for a pension in 1917 and requested that the 1841/1851 census forms be searched to establish her age. She is recorded in the 1901 census with her (Howe) family in Ballycotteen North, Liscannor: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... th62_5.htm
You can trace the Howe cousins when you have the Tarsnanes sorted :)
Sadhbh

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:23 pm

Hello - by looking for other info - I saw the Tarsnane family living at Milltown in Co. Clare on the Census of 1901- I think the name of the civil parish is Kilfarboy - but a part of the area is also in Kilmurray-Ibrickane parish. Both are in Diocese of Killaloe. I might be easier to find names on Census of 1901 by surname index.
- Lots of details on http://www.clarelibrary.ie and then open Genealogy - at bottom right hand side of this page is 'research material' - and shows 'Parish Townlands'
You could write to the Parish Priest - Mons. Seamus Mullen, P.P., Milltown, Co.Clare- and request a copy of Bapt. Records of the family (to 1900) - a project was done by students putting bapt. records in family order - e. g Father & Mother's name followed by their children - recorded up to 1900. Encl. a stamped addressed env.
Also log on to pilot.familysearch.org/start/ and you will find Mathew born 1779 died 1869 - and the youngest are Gerard born 1942 and James born 1943 - mother Markham - poss. in Ennistymon or Lahinch area. When searching this site - I find it is better to just put in surname and Clare, Ireland. Most of the family are in the 'Ennistimon Registration area - which covers north west Clare.
Slan, Miriam.

verdun20

Post by verdun20 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:54 am

:oops: slan, miriam and sadhbh, you are absolutley brilliant. Not only do I thank you but my 93 y.o Mum, Great Grand Daughter of Matthew Tarsnane thanks you.

I will thoroughly check your links out and hope that I'm able to track the famly of Matthew and Bridget better than what I've previously had.

My Mum's late sister had told me of her endeavours in tracking a Family name of Tarsenane/Tarsone/ O'tarsen/Tarsnane etc but she had never been able to find much.

I am truly appreciative of what you have suggested in your links and it has opened many doors, I hope.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Hello Verdun20 - to get you talking Irish - the word 'slan'
pronounced slawn means 'bye' in Irish. !!
The full address of the Family Search site is pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html/#p=o - I think I have it right.!! It is a project carried out by the Mormon Church, as far as I know.
I checked the Ellis Island records - and there is James Tarsane on list for May 1911 - son of Peter from Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare. (Malbay is added to the name as it is the name of bay in front of the town-and there are several towns/areas called Milltown in Ireland.) James was a son of Peter and went to U.S. to his sister, Margaret Seegers at 18th St. N.Y. !
To show some pictures of the town to your Gran. - incl. church where several Tarsanes were baptised - log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie and open FOTO collection - then search for Milltown and also Kilfarboy (name of parish).
I also see on familysearch site that Bridget Tarsane married in 1946 in Kilrush Registration area - now that would be worth checking to see her married name and area involved.
So SLAN Miriam.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 pm

Hello again - sorry spelling error on my last posting - I mean Tarsnane and not Tarsane!! On looking at the spelling of Tarsenane - I wonder has it any connection with St. Senan (Patron Saint of West Clare) ? - the middle syl. is 'senan' !!
I know of names like Gilsenan and Giltinane translate from Irish as 'son of the follower of St. Senan' - Mac Giolla Sionan.
Slan, Miriam.

verdun20

Post by verdun20 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:19 am

Many thanks Miriam. As you can guess my 'Irish' is non existent really.

I'll check out the sites you've suggested.

I really am so appreciative of the responses I've received from all.

May I say,

Slan,

Kerry (Great Great Grand daughter of Matthew Tarsnane.)

miltownmal

Post by miltownmal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:28 pm

hi.i am the tarsnane listed in clare library 1935-i am from miltown malbay .emigrated to new york 1961 and still here .bridget you see was my mother & unfortunely was killed by a train..a friend in dublin is getting a wealth of info soon to be published in a book.i will keep you posted.im the only family of the tarsnane name that was around at that time .when i left miltown malbay the name no longer existed. but not to panic we will get to the bottom of this.there were many different spellings of the name by the english and it was only when the irish school teachers came to be that the tarsnane spelling was corrected ..

miltownmal

Post by miltownmal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:01 pm

miriam scahill wrote:Hello Verdun20 - to get you talking Irish - the word 'slan'
pronounced slawn means 'bye' in Irish. !!
The full address of the Family Search site is pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html/#p=o - I think I have it right.!! It is a project carried out by the Mormon Church, as far as I know.
I checked the Ellis Island records - and there is James Tarsane on list for May 1911 - son of Peter from Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare. (Malbay is added to the name as it is the name of bay in front of the town-and there are several towns/areas called Milltown in Ireland.) James was a son of Peter and went to U.S. to his sister, Margaret Seegers at 18th St. N.Y. !
To show some pictures of the town to your Gran. - incl. church where several Tarsanes were baptised - log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie and open FOTO collection - then search for Milltown and also Kilfarboy (name of parish).
I also see on familysearch site that Bridget Tarsane married in 1946 in Kilrush Registration area - now that would be worth checking to see her married name and area involved.
So SLAN Miriam.

miltownmal

Post by miltownmal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:13 pm

i am a tarsnane from ballard rd miltown malbay.that peter tarsnane was my dad and mother bridget.james went to new york and sisters margaret & mary .they were my uncle & aunts and i did meet em on my confirmation day in miltown malbay 1953 the seegers connection is correct margaret's husband who was killed in world war two .she later married a george brandon in new york. all since have passed. there are several tarsnane's in the uk and if you would check "facebook" you will find em.i also had an uncle in the british army so those tarsnane's are probably distant relatives...if anyone would like my email i would gladly cooperate........gerald tarsnane

verdun20

Post by verdun20 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Hello Gerald and thanks for your response.

There is probably a link given the apparent rareness of the Tarsnane name. My Margaret, as shown in my initial listing, married Patrick O'Connor in Australia and he died in approx 1920 or thereabouts. Margaret also died in Australia sometime before her husband. My mother, born in 1916, remembers him and how he was 'laid out' in the front room after his death.

miltownmal

Post by miltownmal » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:42 am

[quote="miriam scahill"]Hello - by looking for other info - I saw the Tarsnane family living at Milltown in Co. Clare on the Census of 1901- I think the name of the civil parish is Kilfarboy - but a part of the area is also in Kilmurray-Ibrickane parish. Both are in Diocese of Killaloe. I might be easier to find names on Census of 1901 by surname index.
- Lots of details on http://www.clarelibrary.ie and then open Genealogy - at bottom right hand side of this page is 'research material' - and shows 'Parish Townlands'
You could write to the Parish Priest - Mons. Seamus Mullen, P.P., Milltown, Co.Clare- and request a copy of Bapt. Records of the family (to 1900) - a project was done by students putting bapt. records in family order - e. g Father & Mother's name followed by their children - recorded up to 1900. Encl. a stamped addressed env.
Also log on to pilot.familysearch.org/start/ and you will find Mathew born 1779 died 1869 - and the youngest are Gerard born 1942 and James born 1943 - mother Markham - poss. in Ennistymon or Lahinch area. When searching this site - I find it is better to just put in surname and Clare, Ireland. Most of the family are in the 'Ennistimon Registration area - which covers north west Clare.hi the parish priest is now seanie murphy in the parish of kilfarboy....they also have a website 'malbay parish .org,' iam new to this site so am feeling my way around.you may have another tarsnane mixed up with me but im the one born 1942 and mom's name was markham...god bless .. gerald

miltownmal

Post by miltownmal » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:04 pm

verdun20 wrote:The 1901 Census shows the Tarsnane family in Co. Clare. My maternal Great Grandmother was Margaret Tarsnane daughter of Matthew/Mathew Tarsnane and Bridget O'Brien, farmers of Co. Clare possibly Clooneybreen.

Margaret married Patrick O'Connor of Co. Limerick in Australia in 1879.

Does anyone have information on the Tarsnane family of Co. Clare and possibly Margaret/Margret born around 1844 in Co. Clare??
.see census of ireland 1911 it is a breath of fresh air