Tarsnane/Tarsenane/Tarsone Family

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

miriam scahill

Re: Tarsnane/Tarsenane/Tarsone Family

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:28 pm

Yes - indeed !! The Census of 1911 is a fount of information.
Gerard - I think you are right - it is a different family - maybe your ancestors left the Moy area after the famine. So I think the request for info re Margaret Tarsnane - born around 1844 - seems to make her possibly belong to the Tarsnane family at Moy, Lahinch - as Conor Tarsnane's age could make him a brother of Margaret's. Message by Sabhdh which shows Margaret's sister (Mrs. Howe) living at Liscannor in Census of 1901 would also be within what is regarded as 'marrying within a few miles radius of one another' - due to lack of transport, !!
So Kerry in Australia - log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie and open Genealogy and then FOTO collection and search for LAHINCH and you will find plenty of photos to show your Mother. The area of Moy (which means ' a plain' in Irish - maigh) is a few miles from Lahinch.
Gerard - you mention wrong spellings of names - the British put down what they thought they heard - e.g. I see neighbours of your Dad's on Census of 1901 - Kinucanes - they became Finucanes!! This came about by putting Ni or Nic in front of name - and so changing the sound of it . This family were related to my Great Grandmother - who came from Mullagh - but I cound not find them under Finucane - so problem solved on the Ballard Road. !!
I didn't know that Mons. Mullen had retired - I should buy the Clare Champion more often.
God Bless and slan, Miriam.

miltownmal

Post by miltownmal » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:42 pm

now it gets interesting my sister mid 70's tells me the tarsnane name came from moy to miltown malbay .probably 300 yrs ago.as you are aware moy is in the parish of kilfarboy miltown malbay..because of the famine and emigration the life span was between 40-50 yrs.this explains why a lot of my age group never remember our grand parents.i only remember one from my mother's side .i do see a margaret tarsnane marrying in kilrush co.clare...we must not be confused with given names . males mostly called after the 12 apostles and females after saints. and some from patriot's brian boru ect.this practice is dying gradually these days....like a lot of other things..........

caoilte

Post by caoilte » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:01 pm

The name Tarsnane, which is almost exclusively confined to West Clare, is a corrupt rendering of the surname Sexton from the Irish version of that name i.e. Ó tSeasnáin. And this accounts for its prevalence in the Miltown-malbay district where the name Sexton is dominant. From tSeasnáin it was but a small step to Tarsnane. Such corrupt renderings are the commonplace of Irish family names

Caoilte
Last edited by caoilte on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.

verdun20

Post by verdun20 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:52 am

Dear Caolite,

That may well solve the scarceness of the name Tarsnane. I was starting to think Tyson or similar but the explanation you've given makes sense. Fingers crossed it can help me track the family down now.

many thanks

:D

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:16 am

Hello to all - a bit more info on Tarsnan/Tarsnane family - Census of 1911 shows just 3 families in Co. Clare - Forum member 'Milltownmal' has posted info re Tarsnane Family at Milltown. William and his family - and his father, Conor, are at Clooneybreen, Moy. Michael and his family are at Kilmurry (south of Quilty) - I have established from Census of 1901 that William and Michael are brothers. See Census of 1901 Ref. 56/5. Michael and his family (2 daughters in 1911) would be in 'Kilrush Registration' area - and the majority of the Tarsnanes are in 'Ennistimon Regist.' Area.
Clooneybreen. Moy, is a very small area - 3 families only - and is in parish of Kilmanaheen - just next to Kilfarboy Parish which incl. Milltown. It is poss. that Peter Tarsnane came to live in Milltown in 1880's.
It would be necessary to check the Church records at Kilmanaheen Parish to see all the baptisms of Tarsnanes. These are available in 'family' order up to 1900 - a project done by students.
I went to LDS site - pilot.familysearch.org/record search - an amount of info re Tarsnanes - several born in 1800's - with John b. 1777 d 1875; Mathew b. 1779 d. 1869; Patrick b. 1788 d 1881; etc. - plenty in U.S. - also two born in Gibralter in 1909 and 1911 - as Gerry from Milltown said that an Uncle of his Dad was in the British Army - and the most recent info is the Connell/O Connell family at Mullingar whose mother is a Tarsnane. (1943 to 1954).
I could not see a Margaret b. 1844 but there is a John Tarsnan b 1845 d 1865.
Log on on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - open Genealogy and at bottom right hand side of page - Research Material - open Parish Index and then select Kilmanaheen - lots of info.- you will see Clooneybreen in townland index.
You will have to pay a visit to the Banner County.!!
Slan - Miriam.