Patrick J McMahon/Mary Sheeley Kilrush

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

nanub44

Patrick J McMahon/Mary Sheeley Kilrush

Post by nanub44 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Hello everyone, I am still trying to trace my great grandmother Mary McMahon Mable. I believe she may be the daughter of a Sinon McMahon and a mother named Ellen. I have found who I believe is her brother, one of three, Patrick J McMahon born abt 1865. He married a Mary Sheeley, daughter of John Sheeley and Mary Quinlivan in Kilrush in 1883. They emigrated after 1892 to Binghamton New York. At least two of their children were born in Kilrush. Daniel born abt 1886 and May born in 1891. Mary McMahon Mable son is my grandfather Harry Glynn, nee Henry McMahon in 1886 on Burton street. No father is listed on his birth certificate but an Ellen is listed as being present. My grandfather was know as McMahon until abt 1915 when he changed his surname to Glynn. I do believe that his father was a Glynn from Kilrush. Which Glynn is still a mystery and will probably remain so. I would love to know the circumstances of his birth and I would hope that after over a one hundred years such a "scandel" would be more interesting than disturbing to descendants of said families. If anyone has any information I would appreciate hearing from you. There was a note by a family member of the May McMahon Sherwood family that suggests that Sinon McMahon was a coachman to a family and eloped with one of the daughters, Ellen. Sounds a bit like Downton Abbey but who know............Again thanks for any help. Denise

nanub44

Re: Patrick J McMahon/Mary Sheeley Kilrush

Post by nanub44 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Denise again, have just found Ellen McMahons' obitituary in Fultonhistory.org, a website that archives newspapers from the state of New York. Ellen died in 1908 in Binghamton New York, listed as her children are Patrick, Daniel and Mrs. Charles Mable, that is my Mary. Daniel was born in 1869 in Kilrush. There is another son not listed in her obit, Michael born abt 1865 in Kilkee . and a daughter Mary born abt 1875. Am wondering if the reason they aren't listed is that they either died before 1908 or didn't leave Ireland?Also would like to know if it was common that families emigrated separately, it seems that some came over at different times. I am surmising that the reason for this was financial. Would love any information re the McMahon/ Glynn connection. Thanks Denise