Kilmanaheen Burial Ground

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

lisa_mariemullins

Kilmanaheen Burial Ground

Post by lisa_mariemullins » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:00 am

Does anyone know anything about the Kilmanaheen burial ground in Ennistymon? It is about a kilometre behind the Falls Hotel (no road access). I had seen it from my house but had never gone as far as it until a cousin of mine in America said she had relatives buried there so I said I would check it out for her. When I got to it there was only one headstone still visible with an inscription on it, and unfortunately it was broken in two. There are still a couple of markers with no writing on them. I guess all the rest are all underneath the grass/bushes. There is a lovely stone wall around it with stone steps into it.

This is the inscription on the headstone:
For the repose of the souls of
John Walsh, Ballagh, who died 4th February 1921 aged 91 years,
his wife Margaret who died 7th April 1922 aged 77 years and their children
Bridget who died 11th April 1898 and John who died 14th May 1907

I can see the burial ground from my house; I always thought it was a small ring fort until someone told me it was a burial ground. I asked a man in Ennistymon about it and he reckoned the last burials there were the Walsh family. When the tide is fully in and after heavy rain the burial ground stands out in the river valley as it is the only place that does not flood.

It is marked as ‘Kilmanaheen burial ground’ on the 1842 map of Clare in the gen maps section on the north bank of the river Inagh in the area marked ‘liable to flood’. It is clearly visible on the ESRI satellite maps as well.
Kilmanaheen 1.jpg
Kilmanaheen 1.jpg (199.4 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
Kilmanaheen 2.jpg
Kilmanaheen 2.jpg (208.17 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
Kilmanaheen 3.jpg
Kilmanaheen 3.jpg (154.34 KiB) Viewed 7803 times

mick o

Re: Kilmanaheen Burial Ground

Post by mick o » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:50 am

hello lisa,
good photos of burial ground .
in the 1930 1940 area there were burials there
my father and brother remember : opening a grave there in the 1940 area: description stoney ground.
the walsh family from ballah recorded in the 1901 1911 census of ireland co clare ennistymon family probably in the c b s school register in the clare library website.
regards michael oloughlin

lisa_mariemullins

Re: Kilmanaheen Burial Ground

Post by lisa_mariemullins » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Thank you for that info Michael. It would be such a shame if there are a lot of headstones covered in the undergrowth! Attached are the two photographs of the Walsh headstone.
Attachments
Kilmanaheen 2.jpg
Kilmanaheen 2.jpg (296.3 KiB) Viewed 7739 times
Kilmanaheen 1.jpg
Kilmanaheen 1.jpg (348.87 KiB) Viewed 7739 times