McMahons, Hennessys, Killeens, Cahills, and Lawlors

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

JPJC

McMahons, Hennessys, Killeens, Cahills, and Lawlors

Post by JPJC » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:28 am

Hi,

I’ve written a short account of my Clare family history, Five Clare Families, which I'll be publishing soon as a free ebook. I’ve benefitted greatly from the material collected on the County Clare Library website and the assistance of several members of this Forum and so thought I would post the current version here first.

It deals with the McMahon, Hennessy, Killeen, Cahill, and Lawlor families who lived in the Newmarket-on-Fergus district. It runs from the 1880s to when my grandparents were married in 1938.

I hope that making it available will help me get in touch with other descendants who can add to or correct the story. I’ve followed all the leads I have so far and doubt I’ll be able to make any further progress until the 1926 census returns are released. But, having said that, I’d welcome any suggestions for further avenues of research.

I did not grow up in Ireland, so have taught myself what I tell of its history. Inevitably, there will be mistakes. Like all historians, I am reliant on my sources and have tried to find the best ones available. So I would welcome any comments or corrections that would improve the work.

Thanks, Justin Cahill.
Attachments
Five Clare Families Clares Past Sept 14.pdf
(595.01 KiB) Downloaded 608 times

Paddy Casey

Re: McMahons, Hennessys, Killeens, Cahills, and Lawlors

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Justin.

Apart from the content I was interested to see this example of e-publishing in the local history context.

Paddy

JPJC

Post by JPJC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:06 am

Hi,

Just a brief note to say an updated and corrected version of Five Clare Families has been posted on Smashwords at: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/486150.

Any comments, corrections or queries are most welcome. Thanks, Justin.

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:30 am

Justiin,

Thank you.
This is something that I have been wanting to do for my Clare families.
The next generation will applaud you!
Slan,
Kevin J O'Brien
Buffalo, NY USA