Kierce/Kerse/Kierse families near Corrofin

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kbarlow

Kierce/Kerse/Kierse families near Corrofin

Post by kbarlow » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:44 am

Hi all - I believe my ggggg grandmother Anne Hehir was nee Kierce. I have baptisms of 3 of her and Stephen's 5 children in Killaloe parish, noted as living at (what was a townland) "The Commons". There is evidence of a Francis Kierce/Kerse at the Commons South in the 1820s and 1842 Tax Assessments. A Patrick Kierce was a sponsor at one of the baptisms. Also there is a Michael Hehir in the Commons South in same period.

If there is anyone on the list who may be related to Anne, or the two mentioned Kierce names - who may be her brothers - I would appreciate hearing from you.

regards, Kerry

mgallery

Re: Kierce/Kerse/Kierse families near Corrofin

Post by mgallery » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:35 pm

I dont see any kierce or kerse or variations in the inchiquin papers but there are plenty of hehir references

http://www.nli.ie/pdfs/mss%20lists/143_Inchiquin.pdf

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:02 am

Thank you for posting the Inchiquin Papers, which I have seen before. My difficulty is getting pre 1819, the likely date of Stephen and Anne's marriage, so that I can follow back both family lines to these earlier ancestors. It's very difficult being in Oz, as cannot access parish records, short of constantly paying someone in Clare!!

cheers, Kerry 8)

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:40 pm

You are not going to find Catholic church records prior to 1819 - there were not any churches then. I dont know about Protestant records, but if there were any they mostly dont exist any more. land records are your most likely source. Most people cant go back that far.